What's On Your Utility Belt?

“Kahr CW9”

I prefer the PM9, as a daily carry weapon.

Kershaw Storm Serrated http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Storm-1470ST.php
Motorola Droid
Springfield 1911A1 Loaded model (open) or Taurus Millenium PT111 (concealed)
Keychain Mini-LED (some Target special)
Handkerchief (OK, I’m old school)

if you’re an iPhone user, try one of these

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1906

allows you to use your phone as a storage device and can be used as a charger

smaller than carrying a usb stick and more useful too

In the wintertime I’ve got a Muyschondt Aeon, tiny flashlight, damn bright: http://www.muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml

Also found some fantastic small stainless steel clips: http://spongefile.tumblr.com/post/152163764/best-clip-design-ive-ever-seen-springiness-comes

Available here: http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html

A pair of pants.

The Utilikey looks cool, and probably would get past airline security 999 times out of 100, but seriously… are you completely bonkers? IF you DO get ‘caught’ (at least in the UK) you are probably going to be arrested under anti-terrorist laws which could see you sent to jail for a loooong time. (And if you think I’m exaggerating the overreactiveness of the UK police, try Googling “Paul Chambers” and “Robin Hood Airport”.)

Don’t have a utility belt but I do have a “keyring”, which contains in addition to home, office and car keys the following:

• Ironkey S200 Personal, 4GB. Enough for stuff which I need to carry around, the rest can be usually moved via internet or direct ethernet.
  • SCM SCR3500 smart card reader, because for various reasons I prefer real smart cards over (probably more convenient in a keychain) USB tokens. And a card holder which contains credit cards, drivers license, id-card and a "blank" card with personal keys and certificates used for online authentication over HTTPS, VPN, SSH etc.

So basically a digital extension of the traditional keychain (and no, they are not attached to a single big carabiner)

Speaking of wallets, this is what I have consolidated to.

http://www.ivyskin.com/iphone-3g-3gs-cases/id-money-clip-for-iphone-3g-3gs.html

every time someone sees me use it, they always say, “no way, is that really your wallet? that’s so cool!”

Where is that batman utility belt picture from? I know for a fact I used to have that exact picture on paper somewhere when I was a kid, and it’s killing me that I can’t place it. Did they print it in every issue of the comic book or something?

And pretty much all I carry, other than my wallet is keys and a phone. I’m not the guy you want to take on an adventure.

This is what I carry in my bag:

http://www.shinylight.com/about-me/

Kevin Horn: You’re wasting a lot of space, and spending a lot of money on batteries, with the ancient technology in that MiniMag (yeah, I’m a flashlight geek). The old incandescent 2AA Mini Maglite has a maximum light output (on fresh batteries and a new bulb) of 12 lumens, and a total runtime of a bit less than an hour.

The $15 Fenix E01 has a digitally-regulated constant brightness of 10 lumens. With a runtime of 8 hours, on an alkaline, or 14 hours, on lithium (4th graph at that link). Since two AA batteries have something like 5x the energy capacity of a single AAA, that makes the Fenix about 40x as efficient as the Mag. And it costs the same. And is way smaller.

That’s to say nothing of the Fenix Jeff carries, the LD01, which has the same runtime as your Mag but is seven times brighter. And still the same size as the E01.

Of course, if you meant that you have a Mag Solitaire (1xAAA) instead of a MiniMag (2xAA), then things are different. Your flashlight is about the same size as the two Fenix lights I’m talking about, but in every other way it actually fares worse.

In my immediately previous comment, the phrase “total runtime” in the first paragraph should be “useful runtime”. Not sure how I missed that.

sigh

Where’s the spot for shark repellent? Everyone knows that Batman carries shark repellent!

This diagram is a fraud!

:wink:

My “EDC” consists of one tool: Bottle Opener.

Never needed anything else… :wink:

I use a blackberry and have accessorized it mainly by way of software. The phone is a Bold 9000 and I added a 16 GB SDHC. Although I carry a 4 GB SDHC on my key chain, I use the smartphone for data storage more often that not. I also carry my bluetooth earpiece for phone and a pair of stereo headphones for podcasts.

For built-in apps I routinely use: Enterpirse Email, Email with 4 added POP3 accounts, adddress book, Password Keeper, Documents To Go, calculator, camera, video, IM, SMS, BB Maps, web browser, GPS, voicenotes, tasks, visual voicemail, Clock, Alarm Clock, and MemoPad.

I have added a few other apps: Google maps, Podtrapper, Honeydew, Google Newsreader, Bible, CacheSense (geocaching), Twitter, Repligo Reader, BiM Active (walking tracker), Bejeweled, Sudoku, Pinball Deluxe, SeaBattle, Marble Trap, and the ReverieD theme.

I think this is most everything…

-doug

• LED Flashlight
  • Gerber Multitool
  • Pocket Knife
  • A few flash drives
  • Taurus PT-99 9mm

I used to carry a lot of that stuff, but now I have cut way back.

What I don’t carry anymore:

Shopping cards - What barcode? Just give them your phone number. My wife has signed up for so many of those that I just give them my number and it always works.

Leatherman - Lost a good one when forgetting about it at the airport. Don’t carry mine anymore, because I rarely need tools outside the house anyway.

A unique thing I do carry:

Earphones - I carry a set of Sennheiser earphones that wind up into a flat circular case. I can plug them into my Android phone or the computer at work or a plane or wherever. Very useful.

Also:

USB drive - The real question is what is on your USB drive. I have found a ton of great utilities on PortableApps.com and PortableFreeware.com. These are the ones I use regularly:

7-zip - For unzipping. Especially 7z and rar files.
AlternateStreamView - Remove that pesky “this file was downloaded” message.
CDBurnerXP - For computers with burners but no install capability.
CPUZ - Your friend/relative wants a memory upgrade. What should they buy?
EjectUSB - Closes all programs related to the drive and readies it for removal. This is the greatest program ever.
Ethereal - Network sniffer (guess I should update to WireShark)
FileMon - Watch which files a program opens.
FileZilla - FTP
Firefox - duh
Hexplorer - Hex editor
IcoFX - Icon editor
JKDefrag - Defragger
KeePass - Password management
MagicJellybeanKeyfinder - Get Windows install codes for current machine.
OpenOffice - Mostly opening .docx and .xslx for people who don’t have MS Office 2007+. Also, it’s easy to turn docs into PDFs.
PhotoFiltre - Great image editor. (Old free version.)
ProcessExplorer - TaskManager on steroids.
QueryExpress - Connect to Access, SQL or Oracle databases with no programs or drivers installed. Awesome.
Recuva - Malware uninstaller.
RoadKillUnstoppableCopier - Recover your friends’ mangled CDs and DVDs.
SIW - System Information for Windows
TCPOptimizer - Sets the receive window, IE max connections, etc. to optimum values.
WinDirStat - Fastest drive clutter finder.
WinMD5Sum - Great for checking the latest Linux ISO.
WinMerge - Source code diff tool.

I also had to check my backpack and found:

• Leatherman Wave
  • Maglite Solitaire
  • Bike fixing tool (my bike is old)
  • Sport tape

In my pockets I have N81, keys and some coins. If I stay longer away from home I also take my Asus UL30VT with me.

While I to have gone through the Leatherman Squirt S and P series - I have come to love the ES4: The electrician version. The pliers are still present (mostly) as are some rudimentary cutters, as well as wire strippers in 12,14,16,18,20 gauges… all in the same loving package that the Squirt has delivered for years.

Heck, put it on an Amazon wishlist and I might even just pony up and buy you one, it’s the least I could do after all the service you have done over the years.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032Y4IUE/

Brilliant Jeff!! The flip out utility knife case for iPhone! Somebody get on this pronto! Particularly one with a USB connector that proxies to the iPhone data port (why Apple won’t put a standard mini/micro USB connector on iPhone/iPod still puzzles me).