Windows 7: The Best Vista Service Pack Ever

first, why the heck are so many people saying Macs are better, last i checked they were for grannys who dont know how to drag and drop.
and to all the idiots saying windows 7 is just as slow as vista look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-7-Pentium-II,8110.html those specs are practically embedded systems.

@EBGreen

Mature centralized management tools (i.e. AD, Group Policy Management, SCCM, etc.)

Ahhh… Certanly! Another thing we mere selfish users oversee (if even aware), and yet we all have the answer to solve world hunger and cure cancer.

People in your field of work (software developers not included) are the ones that know the real story, we just ramble about it.

There’s some simple but twisted logic about all of this: win 3.1 check, win 95 skip, win 98/NT4 check, win ME skip, win XP check, win Vista skip, win 7 - may be, but most probably not; mostly because I’m not keen on upgrading hardware (which in means of notebooks most probably means throw-them-away-and-buy-a-new-one anyways).
Being from Europe means almost to none support for Windows (you even have to pay for the call to activate) and Macs, therefore Windows gets at least pirated while Macs stay off the market due to hardware/general unavailability of gadgets for the iStuff (yes, you can eBay them, but there’s nothing like tingling around with your hands before actually buing).
Tried the Intel-patched MacOS, was not impressed - seems to me much like win98 with a bunch of cool-looking icons - nothing I couldn’t get an equivalent for in WinXP, and most probably opensource/otherwise free without having to pay some fancy applestore/iTunes etc.
So I’ll guess I’ll stick with XP and e.g. Ubuntu on dual-boot/virtual/ssh-access just for that command-line and network-tool goodness.

“So you still use Internet Explorer 6, I take it?”

IE 6 was a broken application. XP is not broken, I’ll use it as long as I can. I need my OS to run applications, format drives and connect me to a network - how does Windows 7 do these things better?

So, how long does this RTM last before expiring, like the RTC’s?

Three years late, but hey, who’s counting.

Ummm, everyone but you, apparently.

XP will remain my Windows OS of choice for some time. Its role to me is little more than a hardware/software interface, and works well enough to run good software on top of it (a good deal of which happens to be open source, incidentally).

For doing what I really want to do, I can’t go past Linux (Ubuntu) at home. Please forgive me if I’m sceptical about Win7 offering that.

Microsoft just created a major problem for themselves, IMO. I think W7 is so good, people won’t see a reason to upgrade for another 8 years or so, just like with XP.

god, what a bunch of dicks! I can’t believe how many people got their panties in such a twist over this post.

I use XP every day, and I use W2K every day.

Vista was a bad experiment, and hopefully W7 is better.

Why all the fuss?

Holy Moly - all these comments. I’m shocked! I thought there was a bit better community on this blog role…

#1 If you’re not always upgrading to the latest whatever version of everything, you are reading the wrong blog.
#2 If you don’t love all-things OS - MacOS, Linux, Windows; multi-boot, VM, desktop server, 32/64, etc, you are reading the wrong blog.
#3 If you don’t love to pave-over, rebuild, debug, and performance tune your boxes, you are reading the wrong blog.

How can a new OS be anything but good times.

That’s how I see it. Bring it on! The last thing any of us should wish for is “keep playing with the same old crap”.

I love all the comments about how this OS is better than that OS and how ‘I will never move to W7’ etc.

Use XP if it suits you; nobody is forcing an upgrade upon you (yet) :slight_smile:

I’m using W7 and I love it.

And with this co-inciding with my PC replacement schedule, it means I can commit Vista to the same category as Windows Me - an operating system curio that is best avoided. (Not saying either is bad per se, just that better options bookend them).

@Eric - “A world where people regularly use 9 year old operating systems is not a healthy computing ecosystem: so unix is too old to use too?” - exactly what I thought when I read this. If you need to rewrite your operating system every 4 years, does it not occur to you that you are doing something wrong?

Let’s just say the overall user experience was… uninspiring. This led many people to shrug, sigh “why bother?”, and stick with crusty old XP.

If you honestly think people didn’t use/install/go for Vista because of an “uninspiring” user experience, I can scarcely in words the magnitude of your error. It truly is awe-inspiring.

People stayed away from Vista because of its lack of peripheral support, its crashes, the fact it gave a new meaning to “resource hogging”, and it… just … didn’t work very well.

The “user experience” was about the only thing that was worth 2c of it, actually.

Granted, that’s uninspiring.

could not resist…

first!!!

I’ve been using the RC on a main computer and a netbook for a while now. The netbook remains as fast, if not slightly faster than when it was running xp so really good work from microsoft their.

I really like the new task bar, this will also get better as programs start using the jump lists for more program tasks.

The only trouble I have had is a driver bug related to my hard drive sometimes after I have hibernated the computer I go to create/rename or delete a file and explorer freezes for a little while or I have to refresh to see the action.

All in all no it’s not a major set of new features it’s incremental changes but can we really expect a revolution at this stage.

So, why aren’t they calling it Windows 6.1? Where did “7” come from? George Costanza?

After trying/seeing the disaster called Vista and hearing only bad things about Windows 7 - I’m keeping my XP for at least a couple of years. Primary reason for sticking to XP - install the newest OS on my perfectly adequate laptop and make it inadequate - yes please sir, I’ll take two!. That’s every geeks true dream…

if you don’t find screwdrivers sexy, why do you want to convince us to get a new one? :slight_smile:

[…]I’m much more interested in the cool stuff you’re creating than what OS you use to create it with.

[…]I want the world to get the hell off Windows XP.

You contradicted yourself. What exactly is so wrong with XP? I use it every day at work and at home. It is stable, reliable, and allows me to get my actual work done without spending time thinking about the OS or spending money on new hardware.

Really, how have we come to accept the idea that every few years all our tools are obsolete and must be thrown out? Can you imagine any other industry operating this way?