Windows XP, Our New Favorite Legacy Operating System

“Secondly, if mac is so good, why the hell are they trying hard to plug windows into it. Mmmmmmmmmm beats me! Yeah, it does. They even had to borrow office from windows and now they want to put winodws into mac and still say mac is better. lol. Let me laugh at that. When business men work, they are not looking forward to flashy screens (like mac has placed itself) but rather a tool that gets the job done. We dont need two tools of the same task function to do the same job. Its like using sql server and mysql at the same time, mmm for what. So the main reason why mac is placing windows as it next marketing campign is because windows has something to offer the mac world that mac itself cannot offer.”

• originally posted by quame

you are a silly man… mac is trying to offer versatility. There are tons of people using windows only because their software is incompatible with a mac. Now that Mac is supporting win32, these people have nothing to lose. They aren’t putting that in there because windows is better, they’re putting that in there because now people will be able to use their stuff on an OS that they believe to be better than windows.

Just to be clear:

John Gruber did not say that Windows XP is a ‘classic’.

PowerPC versions of Mac OS X support a subsystem for running older Mac OS 9 and earlier applications. OS 9 was the last version of the old non-Unix Mac OS. The OS 9 subsystem is known as ‘Classic’. It’s somewhat akin to the WOW (Windows on Windows) support in NT for 16bit Windows apps.

The experience of running an app under Classic is not seamless – hence Gruber’s phrase “Classic-style ghetto.”

what are color coding of windows?

quame wrote:
They even had to borrow office from windows and now they want to put winodws (sic) into mac and still say mac is better. lol. Let me laugh at that.

Word has been available for mac since 1985. It has been available for windows since 1989.
What were you laughing at again?

Hello.

How it its all looking today 8 years after the fact? this post could have been written yesterday and it still would apply.

Thanks.