Would you rather be a Navigator or an Explorer?

Keven, it wasn’t a nice gesture, they were sticking their tongues out at Mozilla. IE 7 was released a few days before Firefox 2.

(I don’t mean any offense to the IE guys by saying that, but I can’t word it better.)

You’ve got to be kidding me. Not only (as other comments point out) is “navigation” a synonym for movement among things. Also, the IE OLE interface defines “Navigate” or “Navigate2” as the method/s to invoke when one wishes to call up another page. This has been so since the dawn of time. The error message is both syntacticly and idiologicaly correct.

-Boo

I remember reading on BUGTRAQ in ~1998 about a Microsoft DLL that had the string “Netscape engineers are weenies” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you Google this string some stuff will come up.

Something one of my staff said today:

“By the time that cake arrived, there were already hundreds of exploits for it in the wild.”

-Ned Kratzer

Gotta love the Black and white cake.

That cake looks tasty. Probably a half-and-half - that’s why it’s black-and-white, not because of some obscure site that used CSS hacks to render as retro BW in IE6.

I wonder: of course we all use the term “navigation”, but is that really because it’s the common-sense term, or is it because our vocabularies were coloured by the dominance of Netscape in the olden days? Maybe we’ll never know. They both sound clunky to me. I’m sure that the “Navigation Cancelled” error message only helped to reinforce the present verbiage, whatever the natural choice might have been.

Just to add to the off-topic debate, remember that Microsoft always has to worry about one thing that open-source development teams almost never have to worry about: compatibility. If IE7 broke all the sites that worked with IE6, all of their stakeholders would be pissed off. Firefox just has to follow the standards, which is certainly better for us web developers, but doesn’t really help with the millions of existing sites which were created to work with IE4/5 before Firefox even existed.

I still have a Navigator javscript manual. Its got a picture of large wooden ship steering wheel.