XP Automatic Update Nagging

I’m running XP and there is no pgedit.msc on my machine. Guess I’m back to NO solution.

@ R.D. Harles:
gpedit.msc as in Group Policy EDIT, not pgedit.msc
try again, and good luck to ya!

i think this works, dont know the regedit thingy

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
“RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled”=dword:00000001
"RebootRelaunchTimeout"=dword:0x0007d280

this should change the window to come once every 1 356 days

manual instructions:
open registry
navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU”

there should be 3 dword things in there and 1 (default) thingy

NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers set to 1
RebootRelaunchTimeout set to 7d280 (hex)
RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled set to 1

there, now it should pop up that bugger once every year ;D

You can also disable B.I.T.S. to avoid unwanted background updates from “au.download.windowsupdate”,

If gpupdate doesn’t work, you can execuate a gpupdate /force command.
What I want to know is if there is a way to have no restart necessary when installing (non Windows Update) programs/additions.

Windows is so f_cking gay, I hate this “feature”, every time I have accidently restarted my machine while I was doing something I’ve wanted to a_al rape Gates with a long distance nuclear warhead.

Hey, I may be completly incompetent… but when i try to run gpedit.msc it does not find the file. Any help?

Thanks

Thanks to the people who said to do the “net stop wuauserv” thing. I found this page through Google and wanted to temporarily stop the download, not the popup. Worked like a charm.

second method doesn’t work for me. gpedit.msc is not found. am using xp home.

i have XP pro,and when I command “gpedit.msc” i get "snap-in failed to initailize /n Name:Group Policy Object Editor /n CLSID:{8FC0B734-…}THE QUESTION IS: HOW do i get gpedit back?

sorry,ignore that last message! anyway if u have the same problem
My CompPropAdvEnv Var
path %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

You should also mention that you can click Restart Later all you want, but if you walk away from your computer for long enough, it will restart your computer anyway! Oh, were you working on something? Were you working on 5 or 10 things? Sorry! That work is gone!

You can also open System Properties (Windows key plus Break key) and disable automatic updates temporarily. That doesn’t get the obnoxious icon out of your tray, though.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010
How to configure automatic updates by using Group Policy or registry settings

note: details the regedit approach, but doesn’t say if it works for XP Home (the KB article does not overall apply to XP Home)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889738/en-us
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Part 4): Automatic Updates

note: details the control panel interface for “download, but don’t install”

Thank you for posting this. That message is sooooooo annoying.

BTW, if anyone here is in IT for a company of 50 employees or more shoot me an email.

dboundy@gha-associates.com

I can give you personal purchases for 5% over cost and FREE shipping. Corporate purchases are pretty easy too. I worked for CDW for 8 years before I came to GHA.

-Derek

Bless you
wait 10 minutes
Bless you
wait 10 minutes
Bless you
wait 10 minutes
… and bless you once again.

Oh, and thanks for the great tip.

• Canolli

Solution #3

Just leave the dialogue on-screen. It’s always on top, so just move it to the edge somewhere. Subsequent popups don’t move it, so you can avoid them altogether and just deal with it when you like.

I suppose forgetting about it and shutting down wouldn’t be a crime… :wink:

• Canolli

thz this was very helpful^^

Exelent!

Hi thanks for that tip,
I manually disabled the updater, it is still trying to download stuff continuously no matter what i do.
Having a super fast 56k dial up meant it chews up what little bandwidth i have.
Is there a way to stop this download
latest file updated was KB901214 is the software scheduler

THanks in advance

Just had this happen today, killed the service, no more nag. I had too much stuff I didn’t want to close, on my computer.