Your Digital Pinball Machine

Ok, so you know that Timeshock Ultra and Pinball FX2 have outstanding multiple display support and work perfectly with 3 displays:

1. Playfield (large portrait 16:9)
  2. Backglass (midsize landscape 4:3 if you can still find or salvage one)
  3. DMD (small specialized ultrawide)

Well, The Pinball Arcade, despite being otherwise awesome, has zero multiple monitor support. Zero! Sad, really. But there is hope! This excellent mod:

Allows you to at minimum get dynamic backglasses working, that is, as you select a table the appropriate backglass automatically loads on a second monitor. In theory you can also move the DMD to a third monitor as well, but I found this ultra hacky and hard to get working reliably.

I also have something of a heretical opinion here, after messing around with the freecam mod a lot (which does get the DMD on another monitor, but is very very tweaky), I decided that I wanted the DMD to remain on the playfield monitor for a variety of reasons:

1. Not having to hackily shift the playfield up to “hide” or “shift” the DMD to another monitor because TPA offers no proper way to select a DMD monitor, makes life a whooole lot easier. That is why the camera hack requires oddball resolutions, to hack around the DMD issues.

2. I kinda like the DMD on the playfield itself, ala Cirqus Voltaire. I do think this is ultimately easier to read and a better experience for the pinball player than having the DMD on the backglass where you have to constantly look “up” a fair bit to read it while playing.

3. In 16:9 portrait mode you have so much room at the top of the playfield that overlaying a DMD up there really does not obstruct any playfield table items you’re actively looking at.

4. The mild movement of the table camera in default TPA portrait is kinda useful in that you no longer need to compromise the view to make sure the plunger is visible, etcetera. The view can stay mostly static / locked and only switch over to close in on the plunger when you are shooting the ball. Because otherwise why would you look at that bottom right part of the table in normal gameplay at all?

Here is how to enable auto backglass support using the TPA freecam mod – in settings.ini tweak the following settings

FreeCameraMode=0
AutoLoadCamFile=0
CabinetMode=1
BGMonitor=X
WindowStretch=0
DMDMonitor=1

(Where X is your backglass monitor number of course!!)

This essentially disables all camera controls, so what you end up with is a nice dynamic backglass changer, and the default built in TPA portrait camera, which IMO is quite good just press the view shift button to shift it to locked and you are gold.

Don’t forget to populate the cam mod /backglass folder with backglass images at the desired monitor resolution, per-table. Also, remember that both TPA and freecam mod executables must start with Admin access!

1 Like

I ended up replacing both playfield and backglass monitors. Life is too short to look at TN displays! The good news is that slotting in another monitor of same size is not too difficult if you pay close attention to critical widths (height and depth is not as significant), and where the controls are located on the monitors.

Here is a shot of the folded down, rear backglass internals (fold it down by releasing the metal attachment hinge, then open it up by removing 6 screws from the back) with the speakers and USB DMD monitor:

Again a very meticulously built cabinet, easy to work on and excellent workmanship – all kudos to VirtuaPin.

In other excellent news thanks to this project:

Which I may or may not have sponsored a bit… it is now possible to mirror the DMD part of the TPA screen on a different monitor:

Run as admin, launch before TPA and bob’s your uncle. My command line params:

dmdext mirror --source=pinballarcade --fps=30 --virtual-hide-grip --virtual-position 3200 0 800

Hi Jeff, great article. It inspired me to get one myself for Santa to bring for Christmas (with upgraded playfield monitor). A couple of questions:

1. Do you use a front-end loader application? If so, which one? Did you find all of the media you needed for TPA to have it work correctly?

2. With the DMD extension software, are you still using a play field DMD in addition to the DMD one?

1 Like

Great! I thoroughly enjoy mine!

No, not at the moment. I launch Pinball FX2, Timeshock Ultra, or Pinball Arcade from the desktop shortcuts generated by Steam.

For Pinball Arcade, which has no explicit multiple monitor support, I personally find DMD mirroring to be the best option. Then you can use the built in portrait camera views which already work great. I also use TPAFreeCam but only as a backglass switcher. It can also shift the view around so the DMD is not directly visible but this is IMO a very nasty and fragile (resolution and binary dependent) hack.

(Note that you can also press h to hide the UI in TPA so the backglass isn’t repeated on-screen. Since the dmd-extensions mod copies the DMD out of memory, it still works! Not sure why I didn’t realize this sooner…)

I would kill for a version of TPA that had proper multiple monitor support for backglass and DMD of course. Looks like some oddball Australian company did license TPA for cabinet use. Whether that is bad or good news I am not sure.

The diminutive size of the 7" DMD, and the lack of IPS display on it (it’s a rather cheap TN panel), kept bugging me. It’s not even proportionally correct!

So I replaced it with a 10.1" IPS monitor:

The IPS monitor is worlds better: brighter, deeper blacks, and significantly larger!

Fortunately, the 10.1" monitor fits perfectly in that space between the speakers. I just cut out the middle with a hacksaw, and used double sided tape to attach it around the edges. The top “edge” is the top trim.

I also had to cut a new decorative cover using heavy craft paper, using the old cover as a template. I used a black sharpie to make the sides of the cut wood black so they’re not visible, either. The only downside is I have no clear plastic in front of the DMD display at the moment, still looking for heavy-ish plastic I can slip in there to complete the cover.

The 1050 Ti video card I use and recommend has three video ports

• Displayport (in use for backglass monitor)
  • HDMI (in use for playfield monitor)
  • DVI-D

Get a DVI-D to HDMI converter (or a cable) and connect the 10.1" display via its HDMI port. I was also able to pull out the USB hub needed to power the old 7" USB DMD display, so this simplifies the setup a fair bit – one video card driving all three displays!

@codinghorror Is it possible to add flashers, knockers or any kind of force feedback to the virtuapin mini? Is there space for it? Looks great!

Thanks for post…worth reading nice one

Sure there’s room, but how would it work? E.g. it’d need to replicate the force feedback of a 360 controller to work with Pinball FX 2.

I was a pre-adolescent boy during the glory days of the 1970’s electromechanical pins, and was age 13 right about the time that Bally Playboy (and early digital) came out, and can remember going to the teen disco with my friends around that time and being too scared to hit on girls, we would always wind up in the pinball area (I specifically remember the machine there being Bally Six Million Dollar Man - which transitioned to the video arcade era when the classic video game Big Bang happened.

Anyway, when I got to college age, I was no longer scared to pick up on women, so I didn’t play much pinball or video games, but did start getting back into both with the Williams Fire! pinball and the R-Type video game when I was a grad student at Georgia Tech. After school, a friend of mine bought an old machine, and I decided I wanted to get into this hobby, so I bought … a Playboy! Many years later I now count 21 in my herd, about equally divided into electromechanical & digital (yes, I’m a bachelor, LOL). I have a hobby interest in setting up a application that could simulate an electromechanical machine as a state machine - i.e., such that the entire game play could show the states of all the electromechanical elements (it wouldn’t be like Visual Pinball, but something with a bunch of Button controls that would be serve to actuate something getting hit, etc.) Of course, I should really get all my pins in perfect working order before I get into doing that, LOL.

To me, the realness of pinball is something that virtual pinball cannot reproduce; in some ways the electromechanicals are even more real as there are the clunky relays, switch disks and the “heart”, the score motor cam. That said, when I’m on the road, I sometimes play Virtual Pinball (although it really needs some structure as it seems to be a complete mess to actually get a game properly installed), and I have used Virtual Pinball to “test-drive” new pins that I have added to my herd.

I submitted some PRs to the DMD extensions project, so that the Virtual DMD on a monitor is a bit closer to a real DMD look:

The left bottom is what it used to look like, way way dim … the right bottom is what it looks like now if you pass --color ff0000 at the command line, but the default Colors.orangered is pretty good too!

The dots are quite close together on a real DMD

Great review. Your guided tour of the inside of your VirtuaPin Mini cab helped me immensely learning the internals of mine.

I agree 100% with what you wrote (including the Ferris reference) about the hardware. It’s top notch and the amount of workmanship displayed is pretty impressive.

Can’t really support your reasoning for TPA over VP. Yes, many VP tables are past their prime, but I would put up some of the VPX tables I have on my Cab against anything farsight has put out.

I also can’t abide by your insinuation that the “unlicensed” tables are somehow taking food out of peoples mouths. With the exception of Stern, all the other pinball manufacturers have been out of business for decades. Gottlieb is a VC group that picked through the remnants of their Bankruptcy to purchase the rights to the name. And Scientific Games bought the rights to all the WMS assets and has done nothing accept charge licensing fees for the use of the name.

Can’t say I am enthusiastic paying licensing fees to a bunch of corporate jackals that did nothing but pick up the name via bankruptcy auction or corporate buyout.

Most VP authors do their work out of a labor of love for the game and not pure profit. Not sure why that is so distasteful to you. If the money were going to the actual designers and employees that made these beautiful machines, then that would be one thing. But it’s not.

I do love TPA and once their cab support gets better, I might give them a shake, But until then, I’ll focus on the best VP pins I can find.

Thanks for the Timeshock tip, though. I’m going to buy Timeshock and Cab it up this week. It should look amazing.

1 Like

I guess it is just a personal preference. To me, VP tables look (and play) like games built in the 1990s out of construction paper. I vastly prefer full 3D table simulation for the better physics, freedom of camera movement, and generally superior simulation of the real world versus a bunch of 2D bitmaps and hardcoded values.

Got Timeshock running on the Cab, and everything you said is true. It’s bliss. Kind of puts all the other tables to shame. Adjusting the view is a little wierd, but once it’s dialed in, it is magic.

Another upgrade I would suggest is pulling the trigger and getting the plunger kit from zebsboards. The tech used is miles ahead of the IR sensing used by VirtuaPin. If you want to simply want to use the plunger to blast the ball up on the playing field, then the default plunger in the cab is fine. But if you are trying to do skill shots, (aka pinbot or cyclone) the IR sensor method is just not consistent enough.

Zeb’s plunger is nearly a direct replacement as it also includes an accelerometer and 20 inputs. The use of an actual sliding pot for the plunger is much more accurate. Wiring up was easy if you have the wiring diagram for the VirtuaPin controller.

2 small caveats. First, the design of the Zebsboards does not allow you to “twist” the plunger. If that’s a deal killer for you, then you won’t want this. Second, the one I bought did keyboard emulation instead of straight joystick. 14 of the inputs were keyboard, 4 were controller buttons. This requires extensive remapping.

I think Zebs has a “controller” based board which would do straight controller buttons, which would eliminate remapping. But it wasn’t a big deal.

For about $100 to $150 US it is like putting a subwoofer in your car. Sure you don’t “need” it, but once you’ve done it, you don’t know how you lived without it.

1 Like

@codinghorror Are you still enjoying your VirtuaPin Mini? Do you ever regret not getting the full size version? I’m a bit on the fence between the mini and full sized version.

Definitely still love it! I need to hook up Kinect support for Pinball Arcade / Arcooda, and FX3 grabbed the Williams license so things are very much alive.

If you have a large house and lots of space, sure, go with the full size version. But I like the mini version for my small California home :wink:

@codinghorror, I’m curious if your opinion on Visual Pinball X has evolved.

I originally got into virtual pinball probably about 4 years ago with The Pinball Arcade (TPA) on the PS3. I was blown away, I couldn’t believe how accurate it seemed, how authentic the models and the colors and the lighting and the sound all seemed. But for some reason my enthusiasm dropped off, not because there is anything wrong with TPA, probably just because of life stuff.

Then about a year ago I got a new work laptop with a powerful GPU and decided to look back into virtual pinball, and that’s when I saw that TPA had lost rights to all those Bally and Williams tables and that those rights had been snatched up by Zen Studios. So I bought the Pinball FX3 first Williams/Bally pack and… yup, seemed just as good if not better. But my searching of forums and also YouTubes I came across made me aware that the hardcore virtual pinball community, mostly, hates TPA and all sing the praises of Zen Studios and Pinball FX3. So I went back and played TPA (after not having played it for a few years) and I must say, I see why. The physics just don’t seem accurate in TPA, the balls move in a kind of “floaty” way. In comparison, Pinball FX3 seems like it’s being developed by people with a real passion for pinball, it just feels “hardcore”. When I go back and play TBA it feels like… they were just resting on their laurels.

This brings me to Visual Pinball X. I looked into it a couple years ago and I couldn’t figure out how to get a table running, so I gave up. But after all the virtual pinball forum lurking I did about a year ago, I decided to give it another try because I saw so much praise for it. Long story short: Pinball FX3 gets a solid ‘A-’ grade from me, but Visual Pinball X… definitely a B, maybe a B+. Some tables are just great, and the weird graphics engine, which I agree seems a little “janky”, it some cases it just seems to not matter. Have you set it up properly and played Diner? Or Indiana Jones? Or Creature from the Black Lagoon (CFTBL)? I could go on and on. Honestly I am shocked about how good some of these tables are. There is one caveat: input/flipper lag. That is a serious detriment and for that reason if there is a Pinball FX3 table available, that’s what I play over the VPX table. But for those tables that aren’t available in PFX3, they can be REALLY fun in VPX. And if you play enough you just end up subconsciously compensating for the input/flipper lag.

So I don’t think that VPX should be dismissed because of it’s shortcomings. I haven’t done a side-by-side comparison, but I want to say that… for instance, CFTBL in VPX is probably better than CFTBL in TPA. But that’s probably a bad example because Zen Studios just put out CFTBL for PFX3 and it is awesome, almost certainly beats the VPX version.

To put it another way, for any given table, if it exists in all three systems, it’s usually the case that PFX3 > VPX > TPA.

Here’s my challenge to you: if you have a gaming laptop (in order to avoid the complexities of setting up VPX on a cabinet), do this:

1. install VPX: https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/vpx-exes/
  2. install Diner: https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/diner-vpx/
  3. install Fire! (I’m a new forum user and it won’t let me link to it)
  4. install Space Shuttle (same)

And give those a shot. I say to use a gaming laptop because you can just run those tables in “desktop” mode in order to avoid having to fiddle with settings to get them running on your actual cabinet. I really think if you play those tables it will illustrate the value being provided by the Visual Pinball community, in spite of the shortcomings.

1 Like

Interesting! Long term I do hope VPX eventually catches up to the commercial ones, maybe that is inevitable over time.

Poor TPA losing their license, that basically killed their product… I have the legacy licenses but they haven’t released a single table since then, have they?

I would say VPX has definitely surpassed TPA.

Check out this video of Diner in VPX:

Or Space Shuttle:

1 Like

There are only two downsides to VPX that I can see:

1. some input/flipper lag

2. because it’s all volunteers creating these tables, on some tables (not all) you can detect a degree of imperfect polish

But in spite of those things, it’s 100% worth it, especially if you focus on the well-built tables.

Bad Cats:

1 Like