YouTube: The Big Copyright Lie

I have been trying to upload my own “copyrite material” onto youtube, and it wont let me, It will just sit at the upload spot for hours on end before I get an Error notice or “this is copyright material” notice thing.
Yet has anyone told me how I can get my own “copyright” stuff on there, anyone got any tips?

Hi guys,
Im taking part in a debate in my university on the motion:
"That This House would hold YouTube responsible for the intellectual property law breaches of its users”.

What are the main arguements i should be forwarding for the propositon and opposition? I’ve been going throught the contributions in this forumn and been trying to pick up the snippets of arguements but they are quite sporadic.

You know what the problem is? It’s close to impossible to get permission from the copyright holders anyway.

I think if you upload copyrighted material, you shouldn’t be penalized. Most videos openly display a disclaimer, and admit to the fact that they have no intention of selling the material. You shouldn’t have to get permission from the holders of the copyright as it would take too much time, it would be a waste. We should be allowed to watch the material… If youtube would force the uploaders to post a disclaimer, I don’t see a problem

No money has been lost. Nothing has been taken away from anyone. Tons of money has been made. Ask the founders…
I agree that copyright is cool - it’s those cowboy brothers on a ranch right?

I think You Tube should be sued for all its got for copy rights violation.
This is the biggest cheat service to ever exist who has completely ignored all laws.
Billions of dollars has been lost through this illegal conduct.
What can one do?

I have a question. I took a video at a concert. it was then taken from me by a friend and uploaded to youtube, which i never said he could do. Now i see my video posted on an official website. Is that illegal of the website?

What i can’t understand… is the fact that all these companies blame YouTube for copyright infringement, yet if they did allow their material to be posted on YouTube, wouldn’t that promote more people to go to the original sources thus creating more profit for the original source company? For example… I see a Family Guy clip on YouTube. Well, I’ll not only look for more clips but I’m more likely to watch Family Guy on Sunday night to see the entire episode. And that will lead me to buy the DVD episodes. Smart business is allowing things to go up on YouTube. Only if the companies would smarten up.

I Think it is ridiculous!
There are so many music videos on youtube of artists and no none of those get taken down?! I mean do youtube really think they all have permission by the company or artist or whoever actually owns the song. I’ve made a good few videos of what i do with different music and put them on youtube, a few the songs have been blocked it’s like seriously they are all eventually going to get the songs blocked, to be honest youtube are wasting their bloody life getting this all sorted out.
Sorry for the 'essay’
grrr i really don’t like the youtube people at the moment!!

1 thing i am fed up with youtube is adding music on your vid. I uploaded my cod vid like 8 times with all different music and still they tell me copyright shit. No but really like cmmn now your exagerating im just trying to entertain people!

there is a video of mine please it would be great if you can remove it…cause it is being a threat to my life…
Krs Sinhala Karaoke Krs-vol 21Go Music Video by Keroke Sinhala
Krs Sinhala Karaoke Music Video by Keroke Sinhala
these are the two videos that i mentioned about.if this gonna be there in your website for along it gonna cause my life,please consider on this .
thank you.

What I am wondering is why I keep getting blocked when I try to upload material that I see on other people’s channels. For instance, I once uploaded Depeche Mode’s Barrel of a Gun and it had about five thousand views, then it was disabled.

A month later, I searched for barrel of a gun and, lo and behold! Someone else has uploaded it without any problem at all! I tried to reupload it, and it was blocked in all countries.

What gives man?

My David Cook Advertisement ( made by me ) got removed due to copyright claims. The video lasts for 1 minute and I used 20 secs clip each of Come Back To me and Light on video. And the main part was, I was advertising in youtube! IT GOT REMOVED THE MINUTE I UPLOADED IT. Youtube is getting old

The issue shouldn’t be whether or not Youtube encourages copyright infringement and so forth, but should rather be that operative copyright laws are OUT OF TOUCH with modern society. Youtube hosts millions upon millions of users who see nothing unethical about sharing copyrighted content. Moreover, companies seen to be taking measures to protect their copyright at all costs, and at the inconvenience of their public, risk being boycotted by their public. An example of this is the recent partnership between Warner Music Group and Youtube to prevent WMG copyrighted material being uploaded to the site. Consequently thousands of youtube users have created anti-WMG videos, resulting in a loss of profit for the company I’m sure.

I don’t understand youtube sometimes. They gets paid by ads and partners don’t they? If a partner of youtube posts a video what infringes someones copyright, it’s okay if it gets taken down, that’s understandable. But if a new innocent user post some music video or something, he doesn’t get paid at all whatsoever, they take it down. Let normal users post w/e they want, not take their videos down and piss them off. My friend made this animation once, the audio was only music, he said that he paid for some kind of ticket that let him use the audio on a video once, confirmed by the band itself. He put up all the copyright info on the details page, even stating that he paid for the right to use the music. 2 days later the video got 2,789 views, the next day it got taken down. He made a complaint and youtube STILL said it infringes copyright, he gave them every last bit of evidence and they still rejected it. Youtube’s community is going to backfire one day because of this.

Hypocrisy yes. Google uses their “Google Video” to feed their pig fresh copyrighted material daily. If not for this, they would have consolidated the two.

Google allows users to challenge a copyright, but leaves the content up which allows them fresh copyright material on Youtube, but the user will be suspended if enough challenges don’t make it through. Why not hold the videos until it is resolved, or ignored, saving the user an ulimate suspension? Because Google places its self interest above the community as the end result is Google presenting quality copyrighted material for as long as they can, and the user getting the shaft for Google policies.

Hypocrisy!

Excuse please the wording as I just got up!

The bottom line is there is only one true form of copyright infringement, which is what the concept of copyrighting was created for. It goes hand in hand with the idea of pirating content. Unless you are makeing money or creating a negative effect on the copyright-holder’s profit from the material, you are not infringing on anything. Copyright means “I made this, only I can profit from it and you can’t copy me because it was my idea”. The same goes for pirating. If I give a copy of a CD to my friend, but I don’t take any money for it, I am not stealing any profit from the artist or the record label. In fact, I am helping them by exposing their work to an individual who most likely would not be purchased it. If the person likes it, they will most likely develop an interest in that particular artist’s work and buy future releases. I just created a customer for them. If they don’t like it then it doesn’t matter anyway. Many people have to be lured in, with a taste first. However, if I make copies of that same CD and sell them to my friends at even a fraction of the cost, then I am a media pirate. The only exception would be if I accept reimbursement for the cost of the discs, only. As long as I don’t make a profit (in any way), and I don’t steal their profit, I am not pirating nor infringing on anything. And I don’t care who agrees with me on this, nor if it is the official standing of the law, but this is true based simply on logic, common sense, and the very definition of these terms.

Now as far as YouTube goes, you know what really grinds my gears? I throw together a 30 second footage montage of something and it gets rejected before it ever goes live. No one has had access to it and there is already a complaint? BULL**** Meanwhile other members post straight content (no modifications) of known copyrighted material (from the same company/studio) and there is no problem. And yes, some members have gone so far as to post whole episodes of TV shows with no problems. You’ve seen them, part 1, part 2, part 3, and so on. That 10 minute thing doesn’t do anything but speed up the upload time. You can still get all of the episode, and without the commercials. And the whole don’t ask don’t tell does not make them Guilt-Free. Don’t ask-don’t tell only applies if you don’t already know about something. They know, they expect it. Morally you cannot create an arena for something (for profit) that creates a huge opportunity for wrong-doing and not police the actions of said arena, and everytime someone does something wrong just look sheepishly and say “Oops, sorry about that, I told them not to do that”. Oh, and by the way, all the while making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. Truthfully the only ones that can be accused of copyright infringement is YOUTUBE, not the members. The members aren’t making any money, YouTube is. And they’re also making coin on all of the original stuff. Thankfully there is alot of original content, but I would hazard a guess that at least 80-90% of everything on YouTube is copyrighted by someone other than the member that uploaded it.

Whew! My fingers are tired now. Well thanks for listening. You can start disagreeing with me now.

"I’ve just looked it up and it is 320 by 240 pixels and runs at 25 frames per second. The maximum data rate is 300kbit/s

NTSC and PAL are effectively 720x480/576 so this is less than Standard TV quality not exactly home cinema …?"

NTSC is typically 640x480 @ 29.97FPS, 720x480 is typically referred to as DVD quality.

YouTube recommends 320x240 @ 30FPS.

So YouTube is 1/2 the resolution of SD TV display. (frame rate is similar to film(24FPS))

YouTube also restricts uploads to a 100MB file size limit which forces any decent content @ decent quality to be very short.

As Jeff said, the 10min limitation is truly the only reason YouTube remains only an annoyance.

Google is embedded into, and part of, the “club” of the NWO.

I’d just like to take a moment to point my finger at you and laugh.

Now that I’m done doing that, please keep your conspiracy crap to the fringe sites.

Good article, but your font choice makes the text hard to read in Firefox.