Gold Plating

One of McConnell's 36 classic development project mistakes is gold-plating. It's also repeated in the list, so I guess the risk of falling into this particular trap is twice as high:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2004/12/gold-plating.html

Jeff, nice post, came across it and referenced it in my blog post. Hope you don’t mind. My post is here
http://www.xavierpacheco.com/tech/2008/04/09/TechnologyVsDeveloperGoldPlating.aspx

Sometimes it’s fun to implement such features - just because you can, because it benefits you, because it’s different from the usual work, because it gives your software a little character, because you can do something cool maybe with very little effort/risk, and so on. I’d never heard the term gold-plating before but I’ve done it - at least, I think the following would probably qualify:

• Added automatic mic cut-off to my VoIP client when pushing the noisy shift paddles on my old ACT LABS steering wheel (only when speech was not already in progress).

• Added LCD display output to my email client for the LCD displays of two Roland MIDI modules, one of which I didn’t own, and the other I rarely had connected.

• Added automatic continuous spinning animation of all 3D objects in the scene when pressing a key to a commercial application that really didn’t need such a feature. (But some customers found creative uses for it!)

Certainly gold-plating could easily be a mistake in some situations. But sometimes, I think it can be a bit of harmless fun and even have surprising benefits.

I guess that rule applies when ‘un-necessary’ is throughly defined.

As a Program Manager for major systems development, my approach to avoid “gold plating” or “requirements creep” is to recognize and document potential enhancements, but postpone them until a later phase, spin, increment, or delivery. Software should be done the same way. Build the basic capability, verify it works, and then add more to it.

I think that refactoring in order to satisfy a particular goal is not gold-plating whereas refactoring just to refactor is. Refactoring is a crucial part of keeping a codebase clean, but it’s not something you do unless you have a need to make the code more malleable to solve the task at hand.