The Slow Brain Death of VB.NET

I think Jeff just wanted visitors (which in fact, it seems he did).

… vb.net shouldn’t have been created… it’s ugly and cumbersome to use. and i’d been using vb since version 4 to 6! but prefer c# for the last 7 years. just my 2cents

I have used both languages - starting with VB and moving to C# out of curiosity. On balance I prefer C# because I find VB rather cumbersome (that old chestnut :wink: ) and in the beginning I also found it easier to shift to the .Net paradigm through using C#. Currently I am working towards MS certification and alternating between the two languages.

i have been using vb6 since year 1998.
vb.net shouldn’t been created. it is not backward compatible. it is not supported in office vba. it is not supported in client-side vbscript.
For .net application, C# is sufficient.

I was a VB6 programmer due to availability of work. Learned .Net using C#. Got a job working as a VB.Net developer. Did some side projects in C#. Got a new job as a C# developer doing realtime processing. Changed jobs again and now i am working in VB.Net and I do a large amount of work maintaining VBA code and an old VB6 application. This is my take on it:

• VB and VB.Net are easier to learn if you do not have a background in development
  • C# is by far more efficient to read, write and document if you have any development experience, especially with C, C++, Java, Javascript etc.
  • More examples and tutorials are written in C# than VB.Net
  • C# is “better” (IMHO) for all things asynchronous like multi-threading, working with delegates etc because of the way delegates are manipulated (i.e. declaration is easier, adding and removing handlers is easier)
  • Creating class libraries in C# is easier due to the in line documentation features and the fact you can generate help files from those in line comments.
  • IMHO creating a coding standard is easier in C# because of case sensitivity (private members are camel case, public members start in upper case)

In the end, if your just writing simple business apps, then it doesn’t really matter either way. If you are trying to write anything that is more advanced, then you should lean toward C#.

Cheers,

Russ

I really don’t see any difference between vb.net c#.net in visual studio 2005/2008. It is simply a preference. If you are comfortable with vb scripts then use vb.net, if you are comfortable with c# script then use c#.net. They both generate the same CLR. you can convert your source code from one to another.

all the features Russ is talking about are available in vb.net.

I personally prefer vb.net, cause I think all those {} and ; should be history.

Now VB6 is a total different animal, I would pick c++ over vb6 in a heartbeat.

As Subrata above alluded to - it’s a question of style than of capability. Both VB.NET and C#.NET do the same things, in the same ways (99.9999999% of the time). The difference is like writing with a pen and writing with a pencil. It looks different, but it says the same thing.

I use VB.NET even now. I did start to learn C# when it appeared like a lot of others seem to do, but when I started looking at VB.net on day, and actually checked the differences between C# samples and VB samples, they’re identical.

I think there is more an air of superiority around C# simply because it has the letter ‘C’ in it, rather than because it is actually a better language.

Hi

It is a great and nice post and I like it.

OK I was wrong. The author didn’t write a load of clap-trap! Sorry, I was a wanker to even suggest it.

I agree with Subrata. Code in VB.NET and C# compile to the exact same MSIL code, so there is absolutely no difference in performance. Everything that can be done in C# can be done in VB.NET, period.

I perfer not having all the case sensitivity issues and all the extra brackets and semicolons that come with C#. Why add more keystrokes that only slow you down? For me, I can switch between the languages and it only takes an hour or so to get back up to speed. There are guys in my office who believe C# is clearly superior to VB.NET, but when I try to drill them down with some basic arguments, they can never explain as to why.

Looks look like it’s doing just fine…

• Visual Basic is the #1 .NET language (as reported by Forrester Research)
  • Visual Basic is the #1 downloaded and #1 registered Express Edition (topping the #2 position by 20%)
  • Visual Basic is the #1 MSDN language dev center and blog in terms of traffic
  • The Visual Basic Team blog is in the top 1% in readership of all MS bloggers (I don’t know where I fall in that since I host independently.)

http://www.panopticoncentral.net/archive/2007/11/01/22453.aspx

vb6 is VB
vb.net is .NET
vb.net is killing vb6

= .NET is killing VB

.NET is good stuff.
It all depends on your needs.
For really rapid application development, I like Access, I can make it a run-time and build a nice solution in a few months at most.
For more robust solutions, .NET is great.

HOW TO SEE CODINGS TO CONNECT VB.NET WITH SQL SERVER USING FLEX GRID

Both C# and Vb.net languages can be used for most common tasks it makes no differences what language you use. suppose you want to work with office object , then i will prefer VB.net than C#.
I must say that the way vb handles xml literals in vb2008 is great
C# and VB.net syntax not much difference really, the choice of programming language depend on you interest and background knowledge
I am a VB guy so my choice is always VB.net, because its syntax is much intellisense .

VB? Grow Up!

I am new to both. I have tried VB.Net, C#, C++ and java (as well as NXC and NQC for various robots). I seem to think that C#, C++ and java are almost identical. If I had to rank them it would be:

1. VB.Net
  2. C#
  3. C++
  4. Java
    I like VB.Net because it is the only one I can do much good with. I also learnt Excell VBA first from a good book. I have made a cellular automaton which is fully functioning at the basics but I am still working on advanced things.
    C# and C++ next. I find them very similar but C# is better for reasons I can’t remember.
    Java: I couldn’t make any headway with this in trying to replicate the CA because I don’t know how to make a picturebox in netbeans.

I also like VB.Net because you don’t have to put in silly include files with no apparent meaning. I have never tried VB6 as I only started VB (rather than VBA) in December 08.

whether it is vb.net or c#, one thing is sure: nobody codes mass-distribution apps in dotnet.

we re-coded a vb6 app (distribution 30,00 desktops) in c#. It was unsupportable because of the framework requirements (that are, in 08/09, still often not present). From a support department of 3 guys, we wee looking to add 3 more, just to sit and wait while customers downloaded frameworks. Often they refused to waste the time.

Can anybody think of a major piece of software (like, say, Skype) that is coded in dotnet? Thought not.

if only php would wrap up in runtimes - then we could all forget this OOP crap, and get back to being productive.

A long time ago, in a reply MUCH closer to the top… (alright, forget the Star Wars reference).

If there was any language that could become the next VB6, it’d have to be Microsoft’s new F# language, planned for release in Visual Studio 2010.