Code Reviews: Just Do It

In The Soft Side of Peer Reviews, Karl Wiegers starts with a powerful pronouncement:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/01/code-reviews-just-do-it.html

I don’t know why code reviews aren’t used more often. But I think they do need to be set up carefully. If there is a large disparity in quality and experience between the author and reviewer, that factor needs to be understood, though clearly there are good educational benefits for the less experienced developer on either side of the equation.

Personalities are important too. I was not a very good developer my first couple years, and a harsh review could have destroyed me. Because I had a chance to learn from my mistakes and keep growing, I became better, developed a passion for it, and was able to bring my other skills into making me a more complete developer (for analysis, documentation, support, etc.; not just cranking out code). Code reviews are definitely a great idea, but a good manager will set them up appropriately.

I agree with some of the other posters that it’d be nice to have some way to get a professional review, and perhaps even a rating from some professional institution. I often work someone else’s code, and often it’s very apparent the original developer was clueless. But how was management to know the contractors they hired were overpaid, when they are unable to identify the qualtiy of the code? There is a distressing lack of metrics in the software industry (partially because so much of this is new, and partially because in software you could solve the same problem dozens of ways) and I think that addressing this could be one of the steps in improving general code quality everywhere. It’s hard to submit actual code in an interview process, but it would be interesting if a candidates could at least show that they received an A, B, or C rating from codereview.com or whatever. Or for an hiring party to be able to submit code to such a service for evaluation. But even then, I’m sure there are ways this can be gamed or compromised, and there would probably be legit arguments saying such ratings could still be too subjective.

Phil, have you considered doing code reviews through something like remote desktop or UltraVNC?

One of the biggest benefits of code reviews is the one-on-one real time interaction; a deferred email review is good, but it’s not quite the same thing.

“It was delivered early” … “a 14 percent increase in productivity”

Thanks for highlighting this Jeff. One excuse I have heard from developers a few times is that the deadline is so tight, there isn’t time to do reviews.

Tight deadlines means there isn’t time to not do reviews!

I was wondering about the actual mechanics of code reviews. Is it a requirement for the coder and someone else to be sitting at a machine looking at the code at the same time?

What if the coder checks in the code, pings (e.g. via email) the reviewer and he/she can do it when he/she has time? If all is good then the reviewer pings the coder letting them know it’s all good. Otherwise if problems occur then they can arrange a time to discuss it.

I mention this because it would reduce the amount of time that people need to interrupt one another to do a review. Whereas in this other way the review is done when the reviewer is free. Also now the coder is free to continue with other work.

While on the subject, how much of the code produced by a company do people think should be reviewed? 100%? Critical or problematic areas?

I’ve heard of (sometimes) reviews being done in groups. This seems very unproductive to have (maybe) a whole development team doing a code review. Say, for example, the coder presents their code and the dev. team looks through it. These are less common types of reviews?

Any comments from people experienced in this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

“peer code reviews are the single biggest thing you can do to improve your code.”

Amen! I have had wonderful experiences with code reviews. I would highly recommend them to everyone.

For the record, I find that the people who are the most likely to be against code reviews are the ones that need it the most. :wink:

sigh Being a solo developer, I don’t have any peers to do a review… let alone find a developer I respect and trust.

Any advice for the solo guy?

Eric,

That is exactly what I was going to comment on. It’s got me wondering about some kind of peer review network, a way to exchange code with others online to get reviewed. Not only would it allow solo developers to get peer reviews, but it could also increase the variety of reviewers available to teams. Instead of being reviewed by the same 5 guys on your team all the time, you can all get reviews from lots of different people, with lots of different skills and skill levels.

Of course, it doesn’t have to be as formal as a network - just find someone online you trust and ask him if you could exchange code to be reviewed.

One drawback to this is security and confidentiality issues. I’m sure there’s others.

The thing about code reviews is finding the right balance of formality. XP proponents think code review is so great, they want to do it all the time (hence pair programming).

For distributed companies, open source projects, formal code reviews can be often be difficult to schedule.

One way to get some of the benefits is to set up a mailing list and commit emails (http://haacked.com/archive/2006/01/17/SettingUpCVSCommitEmailsInSourceForge.aspx). Then get others to commit to reviewing them.

SourceGear Vault can create RSS feeds from commits to the source control, which is another fine tool.

However, formal inspections ala Code Complete have the most evidence going for them in just how much they catch bugs.

I can tell you a little about how it’s done at Vertigo.

I was wondering about the actual mechanics of code reviews. Is it a requirement for the coder and someone else to be sitting at a machine looking at the code at the same time?

Yep, we open Visual Studio and go through the code together on a projector in one of the meeting rooms.

how much of the code produced by a company do people think should be reviewed? 100%? Critical or problematic areas?

We look at everything, but generally focus on the more interesting areas. What’s interesting? Whatever jumps out at us when we’re looking at the code, or anything the author specifically wants to focus on. Our goal isn’t necessarily to put a microscope to every single line of code.

This seems very unproductive to have (maybe) a whole development team doing a code review. Say, for example, the coder presents their code and the dev. team looks through it.

I agree. At Vertigo we have an informal cap of 3 people for code review meetings. The author, obviously, and 2 other developers from the team.

Smaller is no problem – even if it’s only one other developer at your desk I think you’d achieve 90% of the benefit.

In my experience, having too many people in the room reviewing code reaches a point of diminishing returns very rapidly. For one thing, it’s hard to stay focused unless everyone is super disciplined. That’s n+1 tangents you’ll be getting off on…

1 Like

Diego,

Thanks again Jeff for good content.

We currently do our code reviews with the whole team. I’ll be honest, I think we do it this way just so everyone can get an insight into what people are thinking as a group. Since we may not work with other team members on any projects we can tap into their knowledge and/or ideas.

I’m not real sure if we are getting anything out of our current setup except for that and maybe seeing other people’s code. Again, we normally do it after a project is complete which isn’t the best time to do it either.

we normally do it after a project is complete which isn’t the best time to do it either

Oops, I meant to mention this-- we do code reviews at key points DURING the project. The point is that you have time to go in and make improvements based on that feedback, while the project is still underway.

Erik, sounds like what you guys are doing are postmortems. Also useful, but different than a code review for sure.

Jeff, Can you host more than one viewer using Remote Desktop? The problem for open source teams is that we’re all in different time zones, so scheduling can be difficult.

However, code review in any form is useful. But each level of formality increases its benefits.

In fact, many of the studies that point to the benefits of code review were using the methodology pointed out in Code Complete. It’s a very formal inspection methodology which usually takes several people and covers much of the code.

My thoughts on what should be reviewed. Everything. The more review the less bugs. So review it all and save the time now.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff and Erik.

The idea of having at most three people doing a review sounds good to me. Although, as I mentioned (or elluded to) some of the code reviews I had been involved in were done in the following manner:

• Coder checks in his stuff.

• Coder pings/emails reviewer letting him/her know it’s ready.

• When the reviewer has some free time, she does a diff on the files that the coder changed. This is done by the coder checking in her changes and entering a bug number in the VSS comments. The reviewer would then use a small utility which would return the files that changed for that bug number. The reviewer could then do a diff on the changes made to the code.

• If all was fine, the reviewer emails the coder letting them know. Otherwise, if it was a minor point, she would email the coder informing them of the problem and get them to change it. If there was more to discuss they would then get together.

This worked fine and it allowed the coder to continue wth something else while the review waited for the reviewer to do it when she was ready to do so.

Not saying this is better or worse, just sharing an experience with reviews at a place I worked at.

Thanks for pointing out Karl’s writings. My team and I have not been doing code reviews of late, and this reminds me that we need to be more deliberate about doing them.

I highlighed a portion of Chapter 2 in my Article of the Week blog post.

Just curious as to how many people have found an obscure, tricky, show-stopping bug in a code review?

My current project went through a rigorous review cycle. This caught some bugs, potential integration issues, and lots of style considerations.

However a couple of days after the reviews we produced our first executable, which when ran promptly took down an entire (shared) machine. Oops. Turns out we were executing kill(-1) as root. Why didn’t we catch that in reviews?

Thinking back I can’t think of a single incidence of a bug that was caught in a code review where it was recognised as a show-stopper right then and there. In other words we might have caught important bugs without recognising them. But in general the bugs I’ve seen caught in code reviews have been fairly minor.

Not that this is an argument against code reviews. I’m just saying that they are not likely to reveal your trickiest bugs.

Not that this is an argument against code reviews. I’m just saying that they are not likely to reveal your trickiest bugs.

No single testing strategy is a catch-all. However, code reviews statistically catch the most bugs and should always be done as a first line of defense. Plus it has substantial intangible benefits; you learn a lot from your co-workers this way. That’s why I’m such a fan of conducting face-to-face code reviews.

I can’t ever remember meeting a carpenter or plumber who ever had good things to say about the quality of the prior work he or she encounters

Good point, hopefully we’re a little more respectful of our coworkers. And some competitive work is worthy of respect, too. I think honesty generates respect in both arenas.

I can’t ever remember meeting a carpenter or plumber who ever had good things to say about the quality of the prior work he or she encounters. The term “peer” review is disingenuous in a competitive environment. What really occurs amounts to little more than strategies that enforce informal primate hierarchies.

Mike Gunderloy posted a link to a great article on how to conduct friendly, effective code reviews:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3579756