Coding Horror: Movable Type Since 2004

When I started this blog, way back in the dark ages of 2004, the best of the options I had was Movable Type.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/07/coding-horror-movable-type-since-2004.html

The static html blogging engine is an intriguing idea.

I found a Ruby blog that is doing something similar, but they have taken it a step further with a custom blogging engine they designed themselves. The blogging framework integrates with Git source control, so that there can be multiple contributors who can submit blog posts for approval. The community can also submit patches to existing blog posts (think spelling corrections and the like) that the author can choose to accept and merge in if desired.

Really cool idea for a community driven blog. Here’s the link:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Have you ever considered Blogger.com?

“The one dynamic feature of the page, comments, are handled via a postback CGI which writes the page back to disk as each new comment is added. (This is also the source of the occasional comment disk write collision, when two commenters happen to leave a comment at the same time.)”

Interesting so this is what caused the error that I would occasionally get. You would think that the software could use a flag or lock on the file during the static updates to disk and then queue any conflicting updates to happen one after another.

“In retrospect, my choice of Movable Type was a fortunate one. Although I also use and appreciate WordPress, it’s a bit of a CPU hog. Given the viral highs and lows of my blogging career, there’s no way this modest little server could have survived the onslaught of growth with WordPress.”

While Wordpress itself wasn’t a shining example of good code. It looks like there were some fundamental problems with PHP running on Windows that no one outside of Microsoft knew how to fix. PHP still sucks though :slight_smile:

http://www.itworld.com/development/73001/how-microsoft-made-php-suck-less-windows

Wait… Is this blogging about bloggin?

… put religion aside and use what works …
… KISS …
… do the simplest possible thing …
… precludes glitzy …
… I am a minimalist …
… austere …
… restriction …

Pretty much summarizes what I’ve learned over a few decades of development about the RIGHT WAY to do things. Gosh durn it, why aren’t there more developers like you? Guess it takes getting old and crochety, like me, for some people to “get it.” Don’t know now whether to try to hire you, bow down and worship, or just send money.

Incidentally, I learned some useful things about servers and blogging software from this post, and the replies.

Although movabletype is a great blogging platform, there are other options like Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal

and honestly, choosing an open source solution due to the supporting company is an oximoron.
you want to select an open source soilution for the community surrounding it.

my blog is based on joomla and I’m quite happy with it

Blog on system engineering
http://design-to-last.com

meta much?

jk. love the blog

+1 WordPress already. kthnxbye

I used to be an MT evangelist myself until I got tired of all the side projects interfering with core development. I kept running into glaring issues and missing features with the product, but all they cared about was launching Vox and buying up LJ and talking about all the new hires to the Six Apart team. Meanwhile the MT users and their problems languished in the community forums. I feel like they released v3 and then coasted for a reeeeeally long time. I finally switched to Wordpress and haven’t looked back.

That’s a page right out of the Jerry Pournelle playbook there dude, all ‘this product is great, oh by the way they gave me special tech support because of my status as an author of a thing people read.’

Wizzard is just a Wordpress shill.

I guess this means the CAPTCHA isn’t “orange” anymore.

Don’t make me pull out that e-mail Jef where I actually suggest the name…

Someone blogged about not blogging once. And then some time later blogged some good reasons why you should blog about blogging, such as how small a portion of readers would actually be bloggers. And then this person blogged some more about blogging, but providing the caveat on why you shouldn’t blog about blogging. By this stage it was wearing a little thin.

After a while they just started blogging about blogging, completely ignoring their own adivce… shame because they were right to start with.

A blog should know what it is and lately I’m getting the impression that this blog doesn’t know what it is. It says “CodingHorror” on the label, but when was the last time that code was discussed? We seem to be spinning aimlessly around topics of hardware, mathematics, operating systems, introspective philosophising, blogging and “spawning new processes” - none of which have any relevance to me.

I come here for discussions on coding. Any chance we can get back to that?

BlogEngine.Net seems to work great so far… I don’t get quite the number of page views as you though. :wink:

There’s a ubiquitous Wordpress plugin called wp-supercache. So far it seems to be taking anything the web can throw at it: slashdot, stumbleupon, whatever.

I installed wp-supercache after I got linked by Penny Arcade once and the server collapsed under the load.

When I started my blog (wandercoding.com), I took the (bad) advice of someone (can’t remember who) who advocated that you should roll your own HTML code for your website. It took only a couple of weeks to realize the folly of this advice, especially when it came to blogging. What almost any blogging software can do for you quite easily, rolling your own code, HTML, PHP, or whatever, makes for more of a task in writing the website as opposed to the real goal - blogging.

It’s like trying to write software by not using tools made to do the job. I know there’s a debate about Not Invented Here software, but sometimes, it can save you tons of work, or at the very least, let’s you solve the real problem your working on, rather than fussing with the internals forever. I love my Wordpress installation, but I don’t have the performance problem - yet. :slight_smile:

So wait, are you using Wordpress now, or are you using Moveable Type now?

I’m confused.

So wait, are you using Wordpress now, or are you using Moveable Type now?

He’s using Movable Type 4.2x:

Anil personally helped me drag Coding Horror from the dark ages of 2004-era Movable Type 2.66 to today’s modern Movable Type 4.2x.