Coding Horror: Movable Type Since 2004

do you notice that this is software? you have to hate it.

sunfire : no, it’s only static pages…

Who said some days ago that he hated meta-blogging ?
What is this ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow. It has been a long time since I saw a picture of a punch card. It is difficult to fathom that there was a time when computers operated exclusively based on inserting cards with holes in it.

AND YOU STILL DON’T HAVE NESTED COMMENTS.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE ADD THIS.

-the end.

@jerome movable types is software, not static html…

Windows 7 is also software.

The thing with hating softwae just seems to be: Jeff comment that he hates software is a big lie. If it is software from mircosoft, from apple, or something he is using he is enthusiastic about it without seeing any drawbacks. Blind (or with enough money/time) to not care about limits.

@jerome

One example from this entry: Jeff thinks that the software just works. But he needed one of the creators to install it. That is a little bit ike mailing Steven Sinofsky and ask him to configure Windows live for your needs (irritating, he answeres on customers complains faster than the customer support)

I don’t know if you noticed but your readers are drifting away from this blog.

captcha: masked patrolmen’s

I’ve also had great experiences with static publishing. My NIN fan site has been hit by Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Slashdot, sometimes on the same day, and didn’t even blink because it’s just serving up static content on the front page. I started using a freely downloadable “NewsPublisher” Perl script that stores its’ data in flatfiles, haha. I’ve since all but completely rewritten it to implement MySQL and some more modern publishing options (RSS/Atom, XHTML-strict output, etc.)

To this date I haven’t found a CMS that’s more suited to my site, but I suppose that’s because my site’s so tightly wound around my current CMS that it would be kind of a drastic change in the format, one that would render the page as a bit more generic.

Either way, I’m proud to be generating static content from a system that runs on flatfiles, in the year 2009. Hahaha.

There’s a static tool in the wiki world called ‘ikiwiki’ which seems to have filled a niche that the dynamic ones like mediawiki couldn’t wedge into, for similar reasons.

nice article thanks for sharing, wish you continued success

you don’t see many security advisories for vulnerabilities in MT and this observation was a major factor in my decision to go with MT. plus, upgrading MT is so trivial that you have no excuse to wait until 4.2 before upgrading from 2.66! MT is on version 4.3 now, by the way.

Wait a sec. Movable Type is the best because you needed help from the developer to do an upgrade?

I’m beginning to feel like WP is spiralling out of control. Having upgraded to 2.8 when it came out and having to constantly upgrade and patch security holes that keep popping up is getting on my nerves.

Some Movable Type sign in systems apparently don’t work with Firefox, so if you start making people sign in you might want to be careful.

I have no doubt MT is a great platform. Unfortunately, for the novice it is quite difficult to configure anything outside the default. Documentation exists, but is obscure for beginners. Service contracts are available but are very restrictive - limited to just how to use the default set up. That frustration got me over to WP and Joomla, where I spent many productive hours. So, for all those who use MT, my hat is off to you. You know a lot more than I do. Someday I may qualify for MT.

Nice article!

I made the decision to use MT after reading your blog and I’m glad I did. I’m also a former Perl programmer so that contributed to my decision. I’m keeping a close eye on the Melody project, which is based on MT and managed by a former Six Apart employee. They seem to have some good things in the works. http://www.openmelody.org/

An interesting fork of MT is OpenMelody, due for release soon. http://openmelody.org/

It’s also interesting to note how we’re starting to see a resurgence of blogging systems that generate HTML. There’s a couple on Github (that I can’t remember) written in Ruby and Python.

and who could forget good, ol http://blosxom.sf.net :wink:

Joseph Alcorn, this is called blogging about the blogging engine. :wink:

In other scenarios, it is called word-of-mouth advertising.

Moveable Type seems like the best solution based on how you’ve framed the question: you want to run a non-Microsoft blog platform, using a non-Microsoft stack, on a Microsoft server. Change any of those three and I think you’ve got better options.

I can’t argue with success, but it’s definitely a quirky setup, and it does strain under load when the comment input outpaces the HTML writes.