Everything you always wanted to know about Task Manager but were afraid to ask

Hi, Can anyone help? Please!!!
When i try to access Task Manager, a dialogue box pops up telling me “Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator” :frowning:
But i am the administrator! Its my computer!
Can anyone tell me how to get Task Manager to work again?
Thanks.

Sander,
I am battling with that “Task Manager has been disabled…” problem as well. I’m pretty sure it was a virus/worm/whatever that does this. I have gone into “control panel/user accounts” and created a new account with administrator abilities, but I haven’t found a fix yet to give the existing account admin abilities. Also, the virus/worm/whatever is likely to ultimately change the account setting of the new account unless you run virus protection/etc to kill it.
Good luck,
Roger

Sander,
I found the fix for “Task Manager has been disabled…”. It’s a little more complicated because I have Windows XP Home Edition, and GPEDIT.MSC doesn’t work on the Home Edition.

Hit Start/Run, then copy and paste this:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

and hit OK. I did it on my machine and it worked great.

For your info and future reference, I found this at:
a href="http://experts.about.com/q/Windows-XP-3282/Task-manager-disabled-19.htm"http://experts.about.com/q/Windows-XP-3282/Task-manager-disabled-19.htm/a

I hope this works for you.

Roger

I occasionaly end explorer and restart it with the task manager when I want to reorder items in my startbar. If you activate them all in the reverse order you want, then restart explorer they will appear in an order. (If anyone knows of a program that allows me to reorder them, I would be most greatful)
I also noticed, after this article prompted me to play around with Task Manager, the “Send Message…” button under Users. Very useful for when I need to leave messages for my brother not to touch xyz until I’ve fixed it.
Whether something is in the Options menu or the View menu seems slightly cryptic to me. For instance, “Show full account name” to me would be under View. But meh.

hola!

i have a worm or trojan eating the heck out of my computer and now my task manager is down and out. msc doesn’t work and i don’t know what the heck to do. my computer performance is being compromised greatly by this thing. any help would be greatly appreciated!

kari

When I do Ctrl+Alt+Del, Task Manager is disabled

Ctrl+Shift+Esc pops the message ‘Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator’ bear in mind, I am the administrator and has never disabled it. I also have the associating property in gpedit set not to disable it (configured)

WinKey+R taskmgr has the same effect as just mentioned. By the way, I learnt this approach from this very article, which says Taskman instead of Taskmgr. Check that out

How do I get Task Manager reenabled?

Thanks

Wayne – did you see Roger’s response, about 3 posts above your comment?

I had the same problem with the Taks manager not working. I had just used pest patrol and got rid of two pest it found. then i started a scan using avast, updated it and had to reboot. upon restarting is when i couldnt use the task manager.I used the “REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f” fix and it worked instantly. Thanks alot.

that “REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f” fix works only until I restart my computer, then the same message comes up…any help please?

Just get SpyBot SD to combat the message that says “Task Manager has been disabled…”. It works like a charm and finds and fixes the exact thing that’s causing the problem. Better yet, it’s free!

Trust me, Spybot SD should fix your problems.

Whenever I pull up Task Manager, I only get a list view of the processes, with no tabs at the top. There is no menu for me to change the view to Applications, etc. Does anyone know how to fix this?

To fix this open task manager and double click the empty space above the window.

The resolution below really worked!

Hit Start/Run, then copy and paste this:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

and hit OK.

Thanks to the original person who post this!

i have tried everything and still task manager does not work … plz help me guys …this doesnt work …REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f… sybot search and destroy doesnt work and i dont no wat else to do… i appreciate the help

i am trying to find out how to limit how many process are running… i am fairly sure most are not nessessary for windows to run correctly…

I often use Task Manager, but as of latley, it doesnt come up, I have had this problem before on a different computer, but I believe the only way to fix it is to Format C:/ and start over, I dont want to do this because I have several several gig’s of information, that if I copy, I am afraid the “virus” or what ever is causing my problem will copy with it… any help?

i cant see the tabs but only processes can someone help me

i can run taskmanager but i cant see the tabs but only processes can someone help me please

i can run taskmanager but i cant see the tabs but only processes can someone help me please

mike on September 9, 2006 12:54 PM

i had the same problem i just click the top left hand corner where they should be and i came up not sure if it was a left click or right click {the wife was nagging at the time )

i had the same problem and clicking the top left corner did the work, thanks