Everything you always wanted to know about Task Manager but were afraid to ask

The Task Manager Fix is avaliable for FREE at http://www.diskdatarecovery.net/task-manager-has-been-disabled-by-your-administrator

Click Fix Now and it will enable the Task Manager.

Alex, thank you for the doubleclick magic, I have been blanking on the control panel for too long. Trapped in a process onnly view of the ether.

You mentioned under section 5. Commit Charge:
“And god forbid you ever reach the commit charge limit. I guess then it’s time to upgrade to a 64-bit OS.”

It isn’t necessary to upgrade the OS, or even the memory, to increase this limit. Simply increase the virtual memory. My ComputerPropertiesAdvancedPerformance SettingsAdvancedVirtual Memory Change. Enter a higher value for Initial Size (MB), making sure the Maximum Size is still equal or higher, and click Set, then OK the changes. Within seconds you’ll notice the Commit Charge Limit under Task Manager has increased proportionally to how much you increased the virtual memory.

Granted, if you had to do this to avoid hitting the limit, increasing virtual memory will result in even more thrashing, and a memory upgrade would be the better way to go. But it is possible to increase the Commit Charge Limit quickly and without cost.

My task manager shortcuts doesn’t work any more (ctrl+alt+del and ctrl+shift+esc). And for those using FIREFOX the CLEAR PRIVATE DATA shortcuts don’t work either (ctrl+shift+del). The keys work but the Shortcut doesn’t, and I am asking Why?

Any solution? Any help will be appreciated!

I have the same problem. I have tried everything that you said but it still doesn’t work. If I go in C:\windowa\system32\taskmgr and doubl click it, it works, but I’d really want ctrl+ald+del to work. Any ideas?

Does anyone know how to “reset” the Peak value so, say you make some changes to remove a few memory-hungry processes and want to see what the new, lower peak value is or does this happen automatically with every reboot?

On several XP machines (and earlier Windoze) I have noticed that if I change the Update Speed in Taskman’s Networking, and restore it to Normal later, that the statistics are toasted, using some sort of 3 or 5 second basis instead of the per second basis. Nine years and counting? I’ll bet an intern wrote the GUI :slight_smile:

Nevermind, found a registry hack to fix the problem
http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board/message?board.id=softwarethread.id=6673

when i open the task manager
i din’t see the shut down menu and extension menu
how can i get that?

Hi,
I have a problem where I am pressing the delete key (doesn’t matter which one either the one on the number pad or the other one) and it is going straight to task manager - without the need for me to press ctrl, alt along with it.

Thanks
Jane.

Is there a specific list of what should be running on the processes page? Thank you for your time.

Mahalo,
Damian

I too had the same problem of not able to view the task managers tab views.Alex, thanks for your help.It really worked :slight_smile:

roger, thanks for the fix
anyone with the “task man’ has been disabled…” run that fix, works in XP Pro as well
don’t know how anyone discovered that one

I also have been watching my Networking tab, and it has yet to exceed 5%. I’m streaming video over my gb network from my MyBook World Book Edition and sending 23gb of data over the same gb network to my FreeNas which has an attached 500gb USB WD MyBook drive.

I did not understand this comment…

“Select Columns menu to turn on the optional columns Bytes Sent Per Interval and Bytes Received Per Interval.”

“Divide by 1024 and we’ve got kilobytes per second throughput for that network card.”

I did this… I see total utilization at just under 5%… the yellow is at just over 2.5% and the red is just above 0%…

Lets say that Bytes Received is at 3,876,268…

/1024 = 3785

That is 3.7kb/sec, right? (3785.4179…) (we could almost call it 3.8)

I guess that is what I am missing. Telling me how many kilobytes per second doesn’t really answer my question, because I want to know how many megaBITS I am getting per second… I guess I’m off to Google to find a byte to bit conversion calculator.

Thanks… I guess… for pointing me in the right direction, anyhow. Why do uber-nerds always make it hard enough that you have to do some of the thinking yourself? I just want the answer…

According to http://www.unitconversion.org/data-storage/kilobytes-to-megabits-conversion.html

0.02890625 mbits/sec… which seems wrong.

My 100mb card is operating at .02mb/sec? What have I done wrong?

Sorry. Let me rephrase that. My 1000gb card is operating at .02mb/sec?

Yeah, that makes it sound even better.

Er…

1gb… 1000mb… you know what I mean.

I’m not a moron… I just drink heavily.

Lets say that Bytes Received is at 3,876,268…

/1024 = 3785

That is 3.7kb/sec, right? (3785.4179…) (we could almost call it 3.8)

WRONG! First, why did you insert a decimal in the result you got?!
The math is wrong anyway because these are bytes given, not bits.

In your ex. for received bytes: (all figures rounded)

3876268 Bytes/s * 8 = 31010144 bits/s

31010144 bs / 1024 = 30283 kbs (kilobits)
30283 kbs / 1024 = 29.57 mbs (megabits)

and converting to bytes:
29.57 mbs / 8 = 3.7 MB/s (MegaBytes)

*this is nothing for a gigabit network but significant for a 100mb LAN.

hey guys happy thanksgiving. i have a question about the ideal number of processes that should be running. i have vista and it says this process: 90

my vista freezes up a lot and then i cant access my shut down menu or my bottom tabs. why is that

Jane,

It sounds like you have a stuck del. key on your k.board. if a reboot doesn’t fix it, try taking the key off and cleaning the underside of it or tapping it fairly hard while maybe hitting a couple other nearby keys. I had that happen to me once where my shift key got reversed and a reboot didn’t solve the problem. DISCLAIMER: Curly takes no responsibility in the damage of any keyboard or fingers due to suggestions someone may have tried of his. If none of the above doesn’t work or doen’t sound right to anyone, please speak up. H
Hope I could help.
C

PS-
I forgot the reason I found and came to this website in the first place. running XP and trying to master the taskmgr (yeah, right!). Started having the problem of not being able to see the proc. usage mini icon in my taskbar when I minimize task mgr. and have it set to do so. It minimizes to somewhere invisible(?) because when I try any of the various methods described above to bring up task mgr. (my personal fav. is just ctrl+alt+del) it pops right up; faster like it was minimized somewhere, and not with a delay like it takes when it has to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx.
C