Extending The Windows Vista Grace Period to 120 Days

When i use :slmgr -rearm" i get the following error message:
“Error0xC004F025 Access Denied: the requested action requires elevated privileges.”

I have logged in with the administrator account.

Help me out.

True Image 10.0 doesn’t reset the days. For some reason it keeps counting down. I tried it with 20 days remaining. After the restore image process was done, it still said 20 days remaining. Everything else restored to it original state. ie. programs etc…

By choosing “Access you computer with reduced functionality” an IE window will apear. Then I type “C:” in the address bar and I get to “My Computer” and then I use search on any of the folders or drives and I get the whole desktop and every other program back. Is it intended? I mean what kind of reduced functionality is that?

To rearm Vista, follow the following steps:

1. Click on the Start button, and type “Command Prompt”
  2. Right-click on “Command Prompt”, and select “Run as administrator”
  3. Click on “Continue” when the prompt appears.
  4. Type “slmgr -rearm”.
  5. Wait for a few seconds. Eventually, a message will appear saying it was successful, and asking you to reboot your computer.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I just came across your posting.

"I set mine up to run monthly for 3 months rather than setting up 3 individual tasks as Ed suggests."
Please share your settings.

Thank you, Regards.

i just bought my son a laptop it came with windows vista free trial now the trial is over. is there any way i can install the windows xp cd that i have or will it mess up the laptop. someone please help. i do not know much about computers and i do not have the money for windows vista. please tell me that i am not stuck with a computer that i can not even use.

I had read this when you first posted it, but didn’t have Vista at the time, so I filed it away. Later on I setup a Vista test machine - tested what needed tested, and then filed the machine away. Went to fire it up tonight, and it told me my Vista was not genuine since I had not activated it. I told it to let me use it with limited functionality.

Turns out “limited” means only your web browser, and no explorer. I browsed to this page, then using Firefox’s File dialog, I launched cmd.exe via the right-click Open. Used the handy slmgr -rearm and rebooted. System now works as good as Vista ever did. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to use it or not since it has been expired for quite some time now.

Thanks!

has this feature been disabled in Vista Home Premium? I have 2 days left to activate, I ran slmgr -rearm and rebooted but it didn;t make a difference. I also followed the WIndows Secrets guiodelines and changed the relevant registry entry, no luck.

i think you have to buy a license… or change to the free sofrware
kiss*

I’ve noticed a lot of people online who have problems with this fix. When you try to run “slmgr -rearm” and you get a return of “Not enough quota to process…”, there’s still a way to fix your problem. I had this error message as well. Here’s how I got around it.

Run Vista in reduced functionality mode

Which probably will bring up FireFox for you, if you’re getting this error.

Navigate to the taskmgr by typing file:///C:/windows/system32/

From the Task Manager hit “File/New Task/” and type “explorer.exe”

From the start menu right click cmd.exe and run it as administrator

then close Firefox and explorer.exe from the task mgr’s processes tab

then closed the taskmgr … the only thing that should be open now is your prompt to activate windows and the cmd line window.

Now you should be able to run your slmgr -rearm command with no problems :slight_smile:

I had 20 days left of the Activation grace period left, so I tried
the “slmgr -rearm” command as detailed, and rebooted when prompted.

It now says there’s only 3 days left. What the heck went wrong?

Computer stopped working and said product key was invalid or inactive.
Computer will not take key it was origonally loaded with.
How would i get an alternate key or universal key without having to buy windows vista all over again?
my email is rightsidexx@aol.com

“…the OEM copies will support full install as well as upgrade install.”

How sure are you about this? I hope it’s right for my sake.

I have wrongly installed Vista Home Premium OEM on my new PC, and now realise I need/want the RDC, backup, and Fax features supplied with Ultimate. I now want to try installing Vista Ultimate OEM over the top of Home Premium OEM, as an upgrade, in the hope that I wont lose anything or stuff anything up. Has anyone else tried this or heard of it being done successfully?

this seems to be a nice way to extend the vista grace period
http://readerszone.com/tips/how-to-extend-vista-grace-period-to-120-days.html

just find a crack
they’re all over the internet

I tried to put in the command prompt and it didn’t work. I still can’t get my computer to work at all! I tried entering my product key and it says it’s invalid. What do I do?!

I’m trying to do this while my computer is in reduced function mode. I put it in safe mode and then I put in the command prompt. Should it still work? I get an error message but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! What gives!?..help?

Make sure your computer has the default SLMGR.vbs not a modified one. It took me a couple times to get this right, please realise that this has been patched/fixed on Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. Make sure to go to your registry (run: REGEDIT) and modify:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SL

Look for the sub-key SkipRearm. The default value for this key is 0, change the value to 1. upon doing this, restart your computer.

Now that youve restarted, go to C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs, and take ownership of that file.

For those of you that don’t know how to take ownership of a file, here’s how: right click on slmgr.vbs, and go to properties, click on the security tab. Click on Advanced. Click on the tab Owner. Click Edit. Now you should see a list of users and administrators, click on your name. If your name doesn’t appear in the list, click on Other users or groups… Type your user name into the large box at the bottom and click Check Names. If you type your name in correctly, you’ll see that your name has been underlined. Click ok and you’ll see that your name has been added to the list of users, double click your name and select ok to change the owner of the file to you.

Now, open a command prompt and type:

SLMGR -ckms
SLMGR -rearm

You should now restart your computer, and check your activation status.

Because MS is for Fascists running 95

• W4VE_0F_L4G

To get rearm to work while in RFM - reduced functionality:

Start pc in safe mode, install firefox or set firefox to default browser,

Restart pc and go to reduced functionality mode. Wait for vista site to load and right click a picture and click save as. Wait for firefox download manager to appear and right click the downloaded picture and click Open containing folder

Then when the windows explorer pops up just find C:/Windo…/cmd

Right click and run as administrator… And then follow top of page commands…

Means that your 120 days doesn’t have to be consecutive…

Cheers

PS will the above post work for vista home premium?

I received an evaluation copy of Vista Ultimate SP1 from M$ in July 2008.
After installing and entering the Key and then going online to activate it, (which went successfully) I followed these instructions:

1. Open registry editor.

2. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SL

3. Edit the registry subkey of “SkipRearm” (you should see current value as dword:00000000) and set the
    “SkipRearm” value to any positive integer (such as 1).

4. Open command prompt with administrative rights.

5. Type “slmgr -rearm” or “Rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows”.

6. Restart computer. Open command prompt w/admin. rights and type
    in slmgr -xpr then enter. wait about
    30 to 45 seconds for your new time.
    When I restarted my system and did the CMD prompt for my new time, I got a message box that said This machine is permanently activated
    I have not had to reactivate or reinstall, still running full throttle. Also worked for Windows 7