Help Name Our Website

Where is justicegrayisourhero.com?

THIS POLL IS GARBAGE

How about funkydev.com

codehere.com
codeishere.com

how about it??

In the spirit of silly names, wow about one based on my favorite return value ever: error_success.com
Or go old school with haltandcatchfire.com

None of the listed names are very good. If it was my site I would go for something more catchy and less obvious. simple example. “codeappeal.com” --copyright of noone, inc. 2004ever

while all the names listed above are not horrible they are just lack-luster in my personal opinion. (Constructive Criticism?)

Kyle_Woodbury@hotmail.com

“We’ve racked our collective brains, and this is the best we could do. We’d like your input to see if we’re on the right track.”

Jeff, I’m normally a fan of Coding Horror for its straight talking but there’s something fishy about this post. I can’t believe this is the best you could do. After all, you came up with codinghorror.com (and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it used for the new venture).

This post is all part of the launch of codeorange.com or whatever other name you really have in mind.

Thanks for the “10 Worst Domain Names” link though, which really did have me laughing out loud … I don’t believe them for a minute either.

if you like hax.net email HAX.NET@domainsbyproxy.com

How about: devcomm1.com ?
It doesn’t seem to be taken or squatted and is clearly an abbreviation of developer community while also playing with the alert status DEFCON1, which (according to Wikipedia) refers to maximum readiness (and that nuclear weapons would be authorised, but hopefully in a dev role it wouldn’t come to that!)

codingconsideredharmful.com

Privatevoid Private Gold ? X_X

repscasb.com
orangecaptcha.com

Jeff Atwood said:
?? said:
but my vote goes for metaprogramming.com.
This was my vote as well, […]

Interesting: in my eyes “metaprogramming” and “stackoverflow” are the two names that stand out most. I immediately preferred (and voted for) “metaprogramming”, and decided that “stackoverflow” was not for me. At all. Now I see why: these two names are connoted in such a way they are almost contradictory.

I like the ideas implied by “metaprogramming”, such as DSLs. It makes me thinks of languages like Lisp or Haskell. “stackoverflow”, on the other hand, makes me thinks of C and C++, which I hate when used for anything but highest performance, lowest level, or embedded code.

About jkndrkn’s criteria, “stackoverflow” is easier to peak an hear, slightly more difficult to type (for me), and is jargon. I think being (connoted) jargon can account for many votes. The question is who is your target?

You’re much better off, IMHO, thinking of a distinctive, catchy name that doesn’t mean anything.

I agree. At-least don’t pick a name that “tries to hard” to be meaningful. I emailed you a few names which I think might be catchy and don’t seem be “trying too hard” to make sense.

damn I made a typo in my previous comment! :slight_smile:

You’re much better off, IMHO, thinking of a distinctive, catchy name that doesn’t mean anything.

I agree. At-least don’t pick a name that “tries too hard” to be meaningful. I emailed you a few names which I think might be catchy and don’t seem be “trying too hard” to make sense.

stackoverflow.co.uk - registered on 07-Apr-2008.

I guess Mr Greg Tudor liked the name too.
http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=stackoverflow.co.uk

and the winner is…

codesville.com

with a whole city theme…

“your destination for coding bliss…”
"population: 32,768"
“Come spend some time in sunny Codesville, USA!”

ah… I have lots of ideas for that theme…

(or leave off the s: codeville… but I like the way the first one rolls off the tongue better… you could get both just in case, though :wink: )

Now that you have your name AND a great creative theme… let me in on the deal :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow. GOSUB 10!!!
I learned programming using that back in the 80’s.
That would be cool, but I don’t think many people today would get the meaning.

I would suggest, Jeff, that once you’ve given enough time for voting on this round, take the top 3 and do another vote.

ok, I’ll reveal my original pick (humbledeveloper.com), and I’ll also go on record to say that fizzbuzz would be even better.

Now, Jeff, because this website would be associated to this new project you’re working on, clearly we could be more helpful if we knew more about the project itself, no ?
You say it will be a ‘developer community’ but you know as well as any of us that the developer community is quite an heterogeneous Blob (with a capital ‘B’, like in the movie), so that might be a bit too vague…

N’est pas ?

unhandledException.com