I Heart Cheatsheets

I'm a huge fan of Beagle Brothers style cheat sheets, because nothing promotes the illusion of mastery like a densely packed chart of obscure reference information:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/01/i-heart-cheatsheets.html

Those old Apple cheat sheets sure bring back some good memories! I used to program in opcodes on the old 6502. Good times… Good times…

Now if only I had room to put these up somewhere close enough that I can look at them without craning my neck.

There is an art to creating a good cheat sheet, which becomes apparent when you try to make one yourself. It’s a great exercise in organizing information, designing layout, making typographic choices, etc. Fun for the whole family!

I found the hardcopy for-pay reference cards at a href="http://visibone.com"http://visibone.com/a to be well worth the money for me!

Some parts of them are online for free.

There is an art to creating a good cheat sheet,

Plus, the people who are best at creating the cheat sheets probably are so expert that they don’t need them. And if you’re too expert, you lack perspective on filtering out just the content that the occasional users need.

Now if only I had room to put these up somewhere close enough that I can look at them without craning my neck.

That’s the funny/ironic thing, the actual wall charts are rarely useful because you can’t look at them while you’re working on the computer.

I find the laminated, large page-ish size ones much more useful-- I keep my Visibones in a stack near my desk and I grab 'em as necessary.

So my recommendation is to print them out (or buy them) and keep them in a stack somewhere within arm’s reach.

I’ve printed out most of the ILoveJackDaniels cheat sheets, which are useful, although seem to be geared towards the info he needs at hand. Eg, a large portion of the JavaScript one deals with XMLHTTPRequest. If I was doing more Ajax that would be useful, but personally I could use more function reference.

The Visibone JavaScript cards are EXCELLENT due to the useful and concise examples of each item. Some of their one-liners are almost beaglesque! And their color carts are absolutely beautiful.

My solution for maximizing insufficient wallspace is to put a pair of cheatsheets back to back in a plastic page protector sleeve, then hang several of these from a hook on my cube wall. These are fabric-covered walls and a disfigured paperclip makes a fine hook. I either flip through the sleeves on the hook for a quick lookup, or take a few off for more in-depth study.

I like having hanging references since horizontal ones tend to get covered up. Desktops are an overloaded medium.

although seem to be geared towards the info he needs at hand

True, they are geared towards that to a degree. The first few were based on notes on my desk (e.g. the PHP date format strings, which I’m always looking up).

There is a second JavaScript one on the way. I’m going to turn the current JavaScript one into an AJAX one, and do a more JS-specific one as well.

Colleague sent me the C#/VS.net shortcuts one. Printed it out and put it on my desk :slight_smile:

Now, time to print the codesnippets one too!

The creators of the good cheat sheets are probably expert enough to not need them, but it works in the other direction too—assembling a cheat sheet does wonders for making you more of an expert. Some of my teachers/professors (the cool ones) would let you bring a “cheat sheet” to the tests, usually with the stipulations that 1) it was [small size of paper], 2) handwritten, 3) prepared by yourself. Writing up a good cheat sheet, one that was well organized, reasonably complete, and terse went a long way to eliminating the need for itself.

Somewhere I have a credit-card sized periodic table, complete with ionization states. That thing was a treasure.

Oh my God, Awesome resource. I’m going to get a binder and some page protectors and print all those out.