iPod Alternatives

I have a great deal of respect for Apple's iPod juggernaut. They've almost single-handedly legitimized the market for downloadable music. The kind you pay for. The kind that, at least in theory, supports the artists who produce the music instead of ripping them off.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/11/ipod-alternatives.html

“1. The iPod is boring. How can I properly rage against the machine with the same standard, factory issue music players that everyone else has?”

Well, you do have your choice of colors: white or black for the regular iPod; silver, black, blue, green, pink, or red for the iPod nano. Only the iPod shuffle still comes in only one color, but it’s so inconspicuous (a tie-clip that plays music is my description of it) that colors would only be distracting.

“2. … Apple’s insistence on purchase-only models is a huge mistake.”

Not so much. The iPod drives the iTunes store, and the iTunes store drives the iPod. It’s a closed model for a reason, and it works. Remember that Apple is a company that exists to make a profit; they are doing very well at this with their current system. :slight_smile:

“The iPod lacks features. I’ll never understand why the iPod chooses to deliberately ignore FM radio and its rich history in the music industry.”

You can buy the FM radio attachment. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MA070G/A)

“… And the list goes on: there’s no voice recording,”

Yes there is. (Belkin attachment that Apple itself promoted heavily when it came out.)

“no EQ settings,

Yes there are. (No customization, but there are a lot of presets.)

“no gapless playback, …”

Yes there is. (New with iTunes 7.)

“5. …You can’t even use it as an external hard drive without setting up a seperate, special partition on the device first.”

Yes you can. (On my Mac, anyway. Windows I don’t know about.)

If Apple let you play WMA, how could they stop you buying online music from somewhere other than iTunes?

“You can’t even use it as an external hard drive without setting up a seperate, special partition on the device first.”

Um, you can. It’s not a seperate partition, but it DOES hide the files (MP3’s and metadata, that is). Oh, and I’m talk NANO, not “full” ipod.

Of course, SERIOUSLY, how hard is it to find “hidden” (attribute) windows file? Come on… all the meta info is XML…

There is other IPOD software out there, BTW. You dont HAVE to use itunes.

All the devices I’ve had which do cable+drag+drop+rockon! have had SUCH bad UI’s, as to be unusable.

So, each to their own. I love my nano, and woudl get another one if it broke, but I woudl consider a Zen, I think. That said, it’s working just fine :slight_smile:

for other iPod software: yamipod is pretty good. And you can keep it installed on your iPod, so you can hook it up to any computer.

What I want now is a player with wifi / last.fm support.

I supposed that just means what I want is XM.

Oh yeah, I’ve been able to use my ipod as an external hard drive on Windows boxes that don’t have iTunes installed. (Although I’m pretty sure I wasn’t able to do that when I first got it three years ago)

On the Creative Zen:M, don’t bother getting it. I just got threw with my second one, and both of them bricked with that Black screen of death. Other than that, it was great.

You’ve summed up all my opinions of the ipod. But the real deal breaker was the the itunes download for me.I got a MicroPhoto from creative and it just works…I’m really glad I got it…a lot more features.

I always figured the iTunes software was part of the iPod’s success, not an obstacle. Dragging dropping files to try to keep the device synced is not fun, especially when you start having smart playlists, podcasts and other dynamic sort of things.

The iTunes lock-in and the inability to play audio in other standard formats are the biggest reasons I have avoided the iPod.

I do understand your concern with the Cowon iAudio X5. I’ve been using an X5 for several months and I love it, but it does have its own disadvantages: it takes a while to get used to the stick control; getting out of FM radio and audio recording mode isn’t dead obvious; the FM receiver isn’t good with weak signals, although I suppose this is expected with no external antenna; it disconnects from the USB bus when Windows XP goes to sleep and requires undocking/redocking to get it to connect again.

I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, though. My X5 has been rock-solid reliable since I purchased it several months ago, even with extended play time on a daily basis. As you so gracefully allude, the greatest feature of the X5 is that is is a plug-and-play USB drive so no special synchronization software is required. I use SyncToy to keep my X5 synchronized with audio, documents, and miscellaneous other files. I usually keep my X5 docked and use Media Player to play the music from the drive. I have used it extensively in airports and planes with Sennheiser HD280 headphones.

FM radio and microphone are built in, so no special hardware is needed to record conferences. One feature that surprised me is that it uses Media Player play lists. I discovered this by accident when I accidentally copied a play list to the drive, then noticed I had a new play list in the menu.

one word. zune.

“The iPod lacks features”

Check out Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/)
and IpodLinux (http://www.ipodlinux.org)
to really take advantage of iPod’s capabilities. These are 2 really cool open source firmware’s, which can be installed along side the Mac firmware. Neither worked very well on my older iPod, a 3G, but it looks like the newer ones are fairing better, as well as more support/features.

It’s all about the software ;).

To make an iPod an usable MP3 player you need the Rockbox firmware (www.rockbox.org).

Rockbox is an open source replacement firmware for mp3 players. It runs on a number of different models:

* Apple: iPod 4th gen (grayscale and color), 5th gen (Video), 1st gen Nano and Mini 1st/2nd gen (Nano 2nd gen and Video 5.5th gen are not supported)
* iAudio: X5 (including X5V and X5L) 
* Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
* iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series

Some of the many many features :

• Just copy files and go
  • Support for over 10 Sound Codecs, including OGG and FLAC
  • 5-band fully-parametric equalizer, and crossfeed
  • JPEG image and text-file viewing
  • Doom!
  • Make playlists without a computer