Launching a Church of RNGesus website

I finally got around to registering this domain in 2018 and put up a placeholder page

https://churchofrngesus.com/

I’d like to brainstorm some ideas of what to put on the page… and you guys humans have (mostly) good ideas!

• philosophy of randomness, for example, when dice are contraband, God as an inveterate gambler, how to statistically test something as truly random, the history of random numbers, and so on.

• enumerating all the “perfect” geometric random dice shapes of which there are only a few, plus the insane Zocchihedron.

• examples of ways people test for randomness, including custom dice rolling machines, that trick with the way numbers can’t end in certain digits too often, etc

• t-shirts? stickers? custom DM screen foldout? custom playmats? cardsleeves? dice rolling towers?

• technical programmery info on types of random number generators, their strengths and weaknesses?

• some recommended prayers for people to recite before going into a random situation, which is of course … every situation

• links to Amazon’s and Etsy’s copious (seriously, go look) bags of dice, which can be sold – with generous amazon referrals, naturally* – as offerings to RNGesus.

• a nice 3D browser rendered die rolling simulator?

• sources of high quality random data? practical physical ways to source actual random data seeds, etc.

• User-submitted stories of RNG giving and taking away? Or just famous stories of people (programmers / companies) getting RNG wrong. (Not sure I want to deal with user commenting, I am thinking this will be more of an old-school static HTML site.)

(I’ve already asked a designer friend of mine to assist with basic HTML and CSS layout – and I have some famous internet humorists on board, whose names I cannot mention under penalty of death, to flesh out the copy – so don’t worry about design or copywriting, mostly I need links and basic ideas :wink:)

What else? Got any “random” ideas? PRAISE THE GLORIOUS HAND OF RNGESUS!

* I was thinking all RNGesus profits (if any) could be donated to a suitably “random” charity?

2 Likes

Also this is a funny example of RNGesus in action

2 Likes

3 Likes

Top level navigiaton, based on the first post, I’m thinking

• History – the history of dice and randomness in general

• Testing – how do you tell if something is truly random?

• Merch – t-shirts, stickers, dice packs, dice rolling towers, everything

• Coding – how do you code randomness properly as a programmer

• Prayers – invocations to RNGesus to get those natural 20s

• Randomness – give me random data of various types

• Tales – tales of randomness gone wrong (or right), ideally the more famous and high profile the better

This could be in any order but each page should be fleshed out.

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

Non-transitive dice must be covered!

Also the classic RAND “one million random numbers” book… is flawed!

1 Like

Also, these … insane … dice

1 Like

Lava Lamp randomness!

1 Like