LCD Monitor Arms

Steve Olson contacted me a few weeks ago after he saw my post on ergonomic computing. Steve works for Ergotron, and offered to comp me some monitor arms.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/09/lcd-monitor-arms.html

Jeff,

This might solve a space problem I’ve got on my desk regarding my (single) monitor. I was thinking of upgrading to a bigger one, but there are little platforms on each side of the monitor space that restrict the size monitor that could fit there. A monitor arm such as these might make it possible to float the monitor in front of that space without taking up desk real-estate for the base. Thanks.

Man oh man I’d love to buy some of those and freg up some space under my monitor. :wink:

I currently have a dual CRT setup and wouldn’t know what to do if I had to cut back to just one so don’t mind while I drool over your LCD setup … what I wouldn’t do to even swap out my CRT’s for LCD’s let alone 3 of them with monitor arms to make the workspace even better.

That is a pretty awesome setup there.
They would be very handy attached to a wall, just to move them away from the desk when you need to work.
As for a laptop stand, the Knoll Lapjack is awesome.

Jeff, why have a smaller monitor for the main screen?

I can’t tell from looking at the mounts in the pictures. Is there a way to twist a monitor into a vertical position if required?

I was considering a nice VESA arm after getting my new 2407WFP-HC and finding that its OEM stand can’t even lift it up to eye level. It’s so short that despite the monitor’s ability to swivel 90 degrees, you actually can’t swivel it all the way because it hits the desk, even at the highest stand position.

This was just the review I needed to push me over the edge. Ordered.

Thanks.

Doesn’t that make the monitors jiggle and shake a lot? When I accidentally hit my desk, I’d hate for my monitors to start jiggling.

Hi Jeff,

These look excellent and reasonably priced too. One question though, the spec for the 45-179-194 states a max weight capacity of 20lbs. The combined weight of your 24" and 21" must be at least 35-40lbs. Does the weight limit apply to the individual spring loaded arm or the desk mount pole/bracket. In either case it looks like you’re maybe pushing it a bit or did your mate Steve say that they can withstand far greater weights?

I have a Dell 2405FPW (15.4lbs without stand) and an HPw20 (10lbs without stand) and would love to try these things out but would rather not end up over stretching the dual arm loading capability.

Maybe you could give us some insight?

Cheers
Kev

Fact: You are a bigger dork than I am.

Hi Jeff,

What headphone do you have there?

Jeff,

I’ve got the same Ergotron monitor arm on my 24" Dell FP and I love it! I can actually use my entire desk while my monitor just hovers above it.

-Jim

Mr. Harrell: I don’t know about these monitor arms, but I know my monitor (which is on a regular stand) shakes furiously whenever the guy who sits diagonally away from me at work bumps his desk. I, however, can pound on my own desk and not get anything to move.

So if these arms are susceptible to shaking it may depend on how ridiculously you smack your desk.

Simply nothing more to say than awesome setup Jeff.

Doesn’t that make the monitors jiggle and shake a lot? When I accidentally hit my desk, I’d hate for my monitors to start jiggling.

Not unless you pound on the desk like Nikita Khrushchev or something.

What headphone do you have there?

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000463.html

Is there a way to twist a monitor into a vertical position if required?

Yep, built in. Just start turning…

why have a smaller monitor for the main screen?

No reason, I had the 21.3" center from before and I upgraded my side panels to the 24" wides. Varying by width isn’t a big deal in multimon setups, it’s the varying by height that kills you. These are all 1200 pixel high, and almost identical in physical height as well.

In either case it looks like you’re maybe pushing it a bit or did your mate Steve say that they can withstand far greater weights?

Dunno, they seem fine with the Samsung 213T and the 245BW. The 213T is actually heavier even though it’s smaller physically. Maybe because it’s older, I expect they’re getting the weights down on the panels as they refine their manufacturing process, etc.

Off topic quite a fair bit, but as far as headphones go… you say in the other post they’re a multi-decade investment? I go through a set every 3-6 months.

I’m quite clumsy.

Sweet setup but, I’ve just sent a few of my multi-monitor setup friends the link to the blog - they’re impressed.

Jeff…dude, you’re a sell out now man. what’s next you get a free laptop with Vista from Microsoft?

just kidding. i love your blog.

I can also vouch for Ergotron products. I own their Neo-Flex LCD stand, which lets me raise, tilt, or rotate my 19" Samsung into any position I could possibly want. Very solid construction, too. A++++++ would buy again.

I’ve got a 23" HP display that is taking up craploads of space on my desk. I bought one of the ergoflex arms for it.

Problem one - it could barely handle the weight. Probably my fault for buying an ergoflex unit whose high-end of capacity was about equivalent to my monitor.

Problem two (the deal breaker) - it can’t go high enough to put the damn thing at a level that’s correct ergonomically!!! At it’s highest setting, it’s still at least 4 inches too low. Again, probably my fault, this time for being 6’ 2".

I got the impression that, unless I bought some super-expensive industrial-strength arm, it would be neither high enough nor have enough capacity to hold my unit.

That’s right - I just said, “…hold my unit.”