On Parenthood

Congrats to you and your wife. As a parent of 14 year old twin girls, I can assure you that your life is going to get very interesting. Never have I ever been so exhausted as I was their first year. Twin teenagers skew that chart as well: 51% PITA. :slight_smile:

Wishing you the best for an uneventful pregnancy and birth.

Congratulations!!

Great post, one of your best I think. Hope everything goes well with the twins.

Brilliant! Congrats, y’all…

We’re not outnumbered by the kids yet, it’s 2 vs 2, but, wow, your article perfectly encompassed what it is like to be a parent. My daughter is already 7 years old, but my son is just 10 months. I couldn’t imagine having more than one baby at the same time!

This is the perfect quote: “Children give the first four years of your life back to you.”

Simple, beautiful, and so very true. Thank you for that, and for this article. And congrats and best wishes for you and your (present and future) family!

HUGE congratulations, Jeff!

I had to share this on my feeds because it nails the painful feeling of transitioning into a parent as well as the overwhelming of joy (even in spite of the frustrations) that being a parent gives you once you’re there. It’s a strange form of insanity we sign up for, isn’t it?

Congrats.

You’ll have to switch from a man-man/trap defense to zone.

I like Jerry Seinfeld’s line about fathers. From Season 2 episode ‘The Jacket’, “All fathers are intimidating. They’re intimidating because they are fathers. Once a man has children, for the rest of his life, his attitude is, ‘To hell with the world, I can make my own people. I’ll eat whatever I want, I’ll wear whatever I want, and I’ll create whoever I want.’” [http://www.seinology.com/scripts/script-08.shtml]

All the best!

CONGRATS on the kids!

I’ve got three, all boys, 16, 9 and 7.

Loved the article - kids don’t come with manuals, have “error messages” that make Microsoft envious as they aren’t as obtuse, do not follow any patterns, factories, instantiation methods, nothing - seem to be the only devices that truly can do randomness, have no concept of “standards” and couldn’t care less that they aren’t. Oddly enough with the same input, they all came out different. They consume tremendous amounts of system resources and the output is, well, for the first few years, everywhere out of every orifice too… later on they do manage to control that process (mostly anyway), but then, as they get older they consume everything that is edible (and in the fridge or pantry).

I’ll never forget the first time we went out to dinner when our first was at grandmas - every time we’d gone out before with him, he’s take great pleasure spreading out the sugar packets and “sharing” them with other tables (or the floor, especially the floor) - so much so, sometimes we’d order food, and before it would get there, we’d be packing him up and take the food to go, we didn’t want to ruin other people’s meals because our boy wouldn’t behave) - we sat there and stared at each other with a “what do we do now” as we’d not been out by ourselves in so long. So, I spilled the sugar packets over the table and we talked about our son for the rest of the night. Kids change you forever. Chaotic bliss at times, and, yep, a PITA the other 49%.

I always have to remind myself, these kids will be picking my nursing home, so be nice to them :slight_smile:

Congrats Jeff.
My son was two when we found out we were having triplet girls. It is a fun, yet tiring, ride. We just got past the six month mark and, as people before me said, get ready for some ‘fun.’

You didn’t specify if they were monozygotic or dizygotic. Care to share? We had both.

I think the incremental drain on your energy follows something like an inverse-square law: one kid leaches 1/1 of your available energy, which is just about OK. The second takes another 1/4, so you’re in deficit. That’s where we stopped. Third? Only another 11% or so. Not much worse, really. If my guess is close, then the marginal energy cost of, say, a ninth kid is almost zero, which seems reasonable (how much deader can a zombie get, after all).

My younger one (10) fell asleep against my shoulder last night while we watched a movie - I was struck by the (sad) thought that this may never happen again.

Oh, watch out for the plumbing differences in the first year or two, btw.

Mom, dad, son, twin girls. Come Hallowe’en a few years down the line, that could make for a great ‘The Shining’ family costume.

As the father of 14 month old triplet girls, first let me congratulate you.

Second let me console you on the death of your dear friend named Sleep.

Third let me congratulate you again. My girls have changed me in ways I never thought possible. They have broken me, and rebuilt me better than before. Not quite Six Million Dollar man style but close.

So many magical moments await you. I’m excited for you!

Having more kids would make it obvious how different they are from each other.
Congratulations on having the courage to have more than one child!

Congrats Jeff! Having a daughter is yet different from having a son and you’ll have twice that experience! Though now you’ll have to transition from man to man defense to learn a zone defense as you’re outnumbered. :slight_smile:

Great thoughts. Being a parent is not like something else at all.

60 things we’ve said to one or more of our children:

• What do you mean you’re still hungry
  • Don’t touch that, it’s hot
  • Go to bed, I’m tired
  • Don’t step in that
  • Did you step in that
  • I told you it was hot
  • Leave your brother alone
  • Ew, go wipe that off
  • Get that out of your mouth
  • Stop it
  • Okay what happened
  • Does that belong on the floor, I don’t think so
  • Put that down
  • Could you just stop talking and eat your dinner
  • Get over here
  • Get over there
  • How did the macaroni get in your nose
  • Don’t wipe that on me
  • Where did all this water come from
  • Stop it, that’s disgusting
  • What is that on your clothes
  • How would you like it if I did that to you
  • Is that television still on in there
  • Okay go get the Band-aids
  • Let’s play the quiet game
  • What do you have in your mouth
  • Is something burning
  • Why are my shoes in the bathtub
  • No, dogs don’t like trampolines
  • Get back in this house right now
  • Are you trying to kill yourself or what
  • That’s not funny
  • Go wash that off
  • Wait, you’re going to jump off of what
  • Don’t come crying to me, you started it
  • Yes I heard you the first time
  • Don’t do that at the table
  • Pick that up and put it back where it belongs
  • What is that on your face
  • Did you hear what I just said
  • Don’t put things in your nose
  • Put that back we’re about to eat dinner
  • What did I just tell you
  • What. Did. I. Just. Tell. You.
  • Don’t throw that in the house
  • Where are your pants
  • Stop that you’re getting food everywhere
  • Get away from the street
  • Close the door
  • It’s okay you’re not bleeding anywhere
  • Alright who did this
  • It’s green beans, you like green beans, they’re good
  • What did you say to me
  • Let go of that, he was playing with it first
  • Get back in bed
  • What is that smell
  • But you ate the green beans before
  • No we’re not having cake for dinner
  • What is that in your hair
  • If I have to come back up those stairs again

Ahhh, if you’re going to experience the newborn days again, x2–you know, that stuff you’ve mercifully forgotten like how much they cry, eat, and don’t sleep–you might need a piece of advice my mom gave me when I had the-baby-who-never-slept:

God made babies cute so you wouldn’t chuck them out the window.

Of course, you already know it’s worth it in the end, but you know how it is when you haven’t slept in days…

Congrats!

Leah

Nutpicking, ths is a 2% (51-49)% difference.

Congratulations! We have a 10 month old baby girl and I can’t tell you how on-point that post is. One of my top 5 favorite things you’ve ever posted.

Jeff,

Congrats, and good luck!

I’m an identical twin and a father of three…

:slight_smile: <