Power, Influence, and Copywriting

I often struggle when writing new blog entries. What should I write about? What's the first sentence? What should the title be? When do I end, and what do I end with?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/05/power-influence-and-copywriting.html

What should I write about?

I usually just wait till Jeff writes something and then I totally bite off of him. But I make sure to add a small twist so I can say, “Yeah, I wrote that sh*t.”

Wanting to code and architect is great, but without good communication and writing skills you will almost always be relegated to one role and not the other. If you can’t explain it, I wouldn’t let you build it… as least not on my dime.

I have had one experience with an architect who couldn’t communicate and his code/system could fill a whole years worth of thedailywtf.com (including weekends and holidays).

Copy is the name of any professional writing turned in to be set in type, such as for newspapers, magazines, books, and yes, ads, made to get the most important ideas across as quickly as possible.

So if you’re communicating to professional writers, the use of “copy” will make your point clearer, since there are several forms of “good writing”. ^.~ (Only copy is appropriate for technical writing though.)

Oops, it didn’t like my pseudo-html. Pretend it has [pendantic-mode] around the first line.

If Jeff tells me to jump, I ask “how high”. :slight_smile:

Communication skill neither means golden intent nor skill in the topic discussed.

Right, but if you’re not communicating, your chance of success is zero.

As I used to say when I was single: you can’t get a date until you leave the house. At the very least, you have to put yourself out there.

Totally agree with everything you say. I must admit that vocally, I tend to ramble and stumble. But give me a Word processor for a lttle while and I can comfortably articulate what I need to say. Being able to do this gives me a lot more credibility than if I just spoke to people face to face or on the 'phone.

In our industry, good communication is vital.

So, if I write well, they’ll ask me to write more documentation? Nooooo! I don’t write too good.

Hitler was a brilliant propagandist but I’m not so sure that “virtuous” really fits his accomplishments.

Ah, we invoked Godwin’s law … and so soon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin’s_law

"Power and influence achieved solely on the basis of solid communication skills is a virtue, not a vice. It’s the ultimate form of citizen leadership. "

Hitler was a brilliant propagandist but I’m not so sure that “virtuous” really fits his accomplishments.

Scam artists and con men must have excellent communication skills to succeed in the execution of their plans and to fool their intended victims.

The ability to communicate is a skill, not a character trait.

Dave

Of course, propoganda and fear is a highly effective method of communication as well, and in some corproations, is ithe/i ticket to success and promotion. These are usally highly dysfunctional organizations or departments, where a good, honest writer is one step from a pink slip.

It works in blogs too, as long as you don’t mind being part of the ecosystem of persistent flamewars the political blogs revel in.

I’m going to have to agree with Dave: communication can be used to either build constructive relationships and understanding. It can also be used to further one’s personal agenda at the expense of others, who lack similar communication skills. It can even be used to push an agenda that will be a failures simply because the agenda is worthless itself.

I’m sure most people have experienced someone eloquently expounded on a topic while being nearly completely wrong about the issue. Perhaps it is a co-worker who has found a new technique. Believing it to be a powerful cure for what ails the organization, they evangelize it. It is little surprise when it comes crashing down around them… many saw the flaws but failed to give voice clearly to those concerns in the face of such communication prowess. Heck, I have been that guy. Communication skill neither means golden intent nor skill in the topic discussed.

Ah, we invoked Godwin’s law … and so soon!

I didn’t invoke the law, you did. However, I believe in this case that Godwin’s law does not apply.

I evoked the image of Hitler, in response to your claim that “Power and influence achieved solely on the basis of solid communication skills is a virtue, not a vice. It’s the ultimate form of citizen leadership.”, as representing the definitive antithesis of your claim.

No analogy was drawn between Hitler and any other person or group of people. He simply serves to demonstrate how your conclusion regarding communication skill is patently false.

I thought Godwin’s Law didn’t count if there wasn’t a flame involved?

the Spolsky quote is bare truth.

you don’t have to be the official team-leader, you will become the uncrowned team-leader if you are the one in the team to express yourself best.

I’m located in the hobby-programmer-scene, and I often see people bot being able to progress their ideas or not getting apropriate answers because they lack ability to express themselves.

(if you consider lacks in my posting, just take in count that english is NOT my native language.)

PS:
the point in Godwin’s Law is not that one might not be able to take Hitler as a correct example, but that the mentioning of this historic person will prevent others from clear thinking and continueing correct argumentation.

When I write, I do to communicate. Well, that’s the purpose of language, to transfer the information to another person. If one is passionate enough with the topic he is writing about, he does not bother on the copy. He writes and writes.

Lawrence
http://www.treo700.org

You seem to graze the subject of genuineness in distinguishing good writing from mere marketing. The reader’s perception of your genuineness is the key to gaining allies and followers. Yet, so much human effort is wasted on brute-forcing others into submission instead of leading by example and proposing ideas based on their merits.