The 2GB Windows XP Hibernation Problem

After installing the patch hibernation worked fine. But I got other problems:

• cygwin resource problems
  • often dialogs won’t open
  • incomplete shown pages in internet explorer
  • programs that won’t start
    This mostly happend after starting some programs.
    Now all works fine again after deinstalling the patch. But hibernation still don’t work.
    I have 2GB RAM on my ACER 8200.

After installing the hotfix, my power button doesn’t work to send my laptop into hibernation anymore. I can hibenate by other means (turn off computer - shift - hibernate) it’s just the power button won’t do it anymore (and yes I have the settings correct under the advanced tab of the power settings.) Any suggestions?

I had this problem and found a reference to the Adobe Type Manager preventing Terminal Server Keyboard Driver from allowing hibernation. So I uninstalled it, but later when I needed it I re-installed it (version 4.0 from 1997). Now I am getting the same old message, “System Standby Failed”. So I am going to try this Hotfix 9090905 - it’s not in the 20 hotfixes or 86 Security Updates listed in my Add/Remove Programs list, and that took awhile to check alright!
I’ll get back to you.

Here you can download this patch in any language you like directly from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;amp;amp;displaylang=enfamilyid=9D20F96A-A8D6-4627-89F7-787CD9B3852Cdisplaylang=en

Hey guys,

I’m using Windows XP Tablet PC Edition with 2GB of RAM.

I installed this Windows XP (KB909095) hotfix yesterday and found out that it disables Hibernation altogether… What a great solution… Because of this, I want to uninstall it but I want to know of alternative solutions first.

Before I found this hotfix, I would just close some big programs when the error occured. Is there something else I can do? Perhaps a way to reactivate hibernation with this hotfix installed?

I think that only Trevor has the same trouble with Hibernation being completely disabled. Why is this?

Thank you.

Perry

For anyone that has a new HP laptop running XP, I bought a dv6000t with 2GB of RAM and these exact problems occured for me. Problems like this generally are expected with newer, less tested computers. However, there is a Bios fix at the HP website which seems to do the trick.
You can get it at support.hp.com
Click on Support Drivers on the top tab
Fill in the Download drivers and software (and firmware) cirlce
Enter in ez829av for the product name
Click on Microsoft Windows XP
run the winflash version F.15 under the BIOS tab
should fix the problem. Let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Andre

This patch only installs in SP1. Or so it says when I try to install it in SP2.

i have a new laptop running on xp sp2 at the moment. my computer hibernates just fine UNLESS i’ve opened my email (outlook express). if i do that, hibernate no longer works, until i restart the computer. i never had this problem on my older laptop (also xp sp2) and this one has much larger hard drive, twice as much RAM, faster processor. any ideas or solutions? thanks!

Whoopie! I’ve been looking for this hotfix for ages. Finally remembered to google for it again. I wasn’t able to find it two years ago and was unwilling to deal with MS so I just sucked it up and rebooted a lot.

I have a different problem with hibernation. After recently having a new motherboard I find that when I hibernate everything goes OK, wen I try to wake my machine up I am asked for a boot disc. The hibernation has swapped my two HD’s, C contains all my data D contains programs and windows.

I am runing XP on a home brew machine with 1gb of memory.

Anyone have any help??

the problem is back, and I cant install 909095 because the files of that patch are older than the ones on my system :frowning:

Hotfix worked, but dell d420 laptop doesn’t resume from hibernation. You go into hibernatio fine, but when you bring it back it’s like you rebooted and the state isn’t saved… any ideas?

Thanks men I have a HP Pavilion dv6000t (it has 2GB of RAM) and I installed windows XP on it and when it was attempting to hibernate BANG that error message comes everytime

bust this hotfix solve the problem thanks men :smiley:

Hotfix did not work for my HP nw9440. The error message is not quite the same as this page presents, though I have gotten that one. Mostly, it’s “The requested operation was unsuccessful.”

My laptop has 1.5Gb RAM (SONY BX Series), one in ten hibernates results in the laptop turning back on! This has happened in my bag more times than I can count, and it gets to the point where the laptop is nearly hot enough to burn you!

Another great piece of development by Microsoft, thanks Bill… Hope that money is good for something, because it’s certainly not used to right decent software.

Thanks for posting this info!

I was having the exact same problem. After running Half-Life 2, the Hibernation tab would just disappear from my Power Options control-panel applet and I would get the Windows system error pictured at the top of this page if I attempted to hibernate the system.

I applied the hotfix, and it worked like a charm. It should be noted that the fix is reversible, since it creates a system restore point and archives any files it alters – so, on the off chance it wouldn’t work for someone, it could be uninstalled through Add/Remove Programs.

I don’t hibernate my desktop often, I usually just put it to sleep, HOWEVER, I have a UPS which will hibernate my system after a set number of minutes in the event of a power failure – it will first wake the system and then hibernate it, or just hibernate it if it is already awake. So, this fix allows my UPS to function properly! Hooray!

This is MUST for laptops too, as this fault could actually start a fire under some conditions such as putting a non-hibernated (running) laptop away in a bag – some laptops draw almost twice the current of a 100W light bulb, so a hibernate bug could be a real disaster waiting to happen.

Jeff, Thank you SO much for this fix.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and just upgraded one of my RAM slots to 1G.
This is when I got the exact error mentioned above. My only option at all was to “Hard Boot” my computer. I really don;t like doing that. ~ouch~ is what I here my Drive say when I do. :stuck_out_tongue:
This totally fixed the problem. Thanks again and thanks to all of you that have responded and kept this thread going. --Cheers–

You ROCK! Been wondering why my laptop does this!

Thanks very much!

Has anyone else experienced the problem where you resume from hibernation and suddenly you cannot load any new programs (i.e. no new processes can get serviced)?

Thanks Jeff. I have been suffering this problem since I upgraded my Vaio’s RAM from 512 mb to 1.5. for more than 2 years. I was just thinking to buy a new one with Vista. This patch worked great.