The 2GB Windows XP Hibernation Problem

What I really like (sarcasm coming…) is that when I call DELL TECH SUPPORT, they HAVE NO IDEA. They tell me I have to re-install my operating system. That’s what I like, that a multi-billion dollar company that sold me the machine cannot answer a simple question like this. I don’t know why I bothered calling them instead of coming straight to the Internet, I guess I just wanted some reassurance about why I will never ever purchase from Dell again.

I have an Acer Aspire 5670 with 2GB of RAM, and until recently (about a month or two) I was able to hibernate normally. Unfortunately, ever since I installed Google Desktop and ObjectDock I haven’t been able to, and closing both programs before hibernating doesn’t seem to do anything. Help?

I installed the hotfix, but my computer (2GB ram desktop, AMD) still isn’t hibernating. It appears to be the same problem because if I’m playing a game before I hibernate it works fine…maybe time for a clean install of xp?

I have an Asus laptop with a recently installed 2Gb of memory. It started not standing by or hibernating. I have just installed this hot fix and it works so far - brilliant. Thanks!

Fixed in Service Pack 3!!! hooray!

I use Windows xp home sp 2, when i see the power option the hibernate tab is don’t appear, please help me. thanks

My laptop is causing me problems. When I try to start it up, it goes straight into hibernation mode, but doesn’t actually hibernate properly. It doesn’t properly go into hibernation mode,won’t let me restart it, and if I turn it off and on again it just tries to go straight into hibenation mode again and repeats the above process. Does anyone have any idea what might fix it? Bearing in mind thatI can’t acually access windows/the control panel to try and sort it out…

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. After I updated the RAM from 1 to 3 gigabytes, I began receiving this error (that same popup and event 26 in Event Viewer) almost every time I try to hibernate the computer. However, KB909095 fix won’t install as I already have SP3. Has anybody else received this error with SP3 installed? Any idea how to fix it, other than downgrading the RAM?

check your printer que for documents that are not printing.

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 with windows XP with SP 3 every thing was ok. After install the latest Microsof patch (KB954600, KB956802, KB952069, KB890830, KB955839) hiberbate option disapperar from Power Options and I can not hibernate or suspend my laptop. I have 5 GB free on my c partittion so it is not space disk problem. I have 2 GB of RAM memmory. In the past I have this issue and found a blog with the solution, but I did not take a note of the solution…
Any idea? Thanks

hi;
i am facing same problem and my system is not starting. after coming to windows screen it give error
Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API,
please help me throug it.

I’ve been having a similar problem ever since I upgraded to 3GB RAM. Whenever I hibernate, my system either hangs, or bluescreens.
Unfortunately, I haven’t upgraded to SP3 to see if this was fixed, due to my system also having the AMD problem with SP3

I upgraded my Inspiron 6000 to 2GB of ram a month ago and you’ve just solved my problem for me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I have a Dell - Inspirion 1560 - with Windows XP Home Edition.
I was using the computer. Suddenly it said, PREPARING TO HIBRANATE;
THE COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY SHUT DOWN AND WILL NOT RESTART WHEN PUSHING THE START BUTTON. I am plugged into the wall. Green lights on the power cord box or whatever it’s called. No lights showing any power on the computer. Thanks from a novice.

Had the same problem, solved. Thank you very much!

I’ve got an Inspiron 600m with 2GB and a Seagate 160 GB hard drive. It normally is a rock solid machine. I use it for work as a graphic artist. Two months ago (and again last night) it failed to wake up from hibernate.

Two months ago, I turned it on and instead of loading hibernation data, a black screen popped up after POST and a lone cursor blinked away. I pulled the drive and made a clone of it. Then I went to work trying to figure out what happened. The service partition became the active partition and I was unable to remove it or make the XP partition primary again.

I took the opportunity to pave the whole thing and reload all my software and copy my work back to it. I’ve been very happy with it, the fresh load of software seemed to perk it up a bit and removed any and all doubt of a rogue application.

Last night I was greeted by a black screen and blinking cursor. The primary partition showed as active and should have been bootable. FIXBOOT and FIXMBR did nothing. I resized it down to 110 GB with Acronis Disk Director, at which point it started and even loaded the hibernation data. It snagged after reaching the desktop, probably due to the hard drive size changing. I tried to reboot, black screen again. I fired up Acronis to resize the partition again, this time they were both locked and I was stumped.

Something seems to be messing with the drive’s MBR. Has anybody seen this behavior with XP? Out of desperation (and delirious from lack of sleep), I tried to install Vista Business on the second partition. I hoped it would be able to straighten out or recover the XP partition. Oh it installed. It even ran for a little bit until another horrible crash.

I’m not sure what the problem was, it kept dumping me to the desktop with a mouse pointer and nothing else. No hotkeys, not three-finger salute, nothing. I suspected the graphics adapter (I’d been messing with the settings). I couldn’t get it into Safe Mode & forcing low-resolution graphics didn’t work.

One thing I learned the hardest way is that Vista will not warn you before wiping out the XP partition. It uses an entirely new boot loader than XP. I’ve been waiting most of today to recover my work from the last two months.

Anyway, I want to go back to XP, Vista didn’t impress me on this old laptop. But I need to know it isn’t doing to die again while in hibernation.

‘I would use sleep, but the motherboard I use isn’t smart enough to restore the correct overclocked CPU speed. I get bumped down to stock CPU speeds every time I resume from a sleep state.’

You think that’s harsh? When I sleep my laptop (AMD64) it wakes up in the lowest (i.e. power-saving) clock frequency, so I don’t even get the highest stock clock speed!

And when I hibernate it, it occasionally wakes up with 70% CPU time taken up by ‘Hardware Interrupts’ (as identified by SysInternals Process Explorer), requiring a reboot.

Methinks an XP re-install is on the cards…

Have exactly the same problem as Shana. Once Outlook express has been opened, machine won’t hibernate. do I need the hotfix or is there some other issue - can’t find any other reference to this issue on m/s - dont get the error message noted above, just no hibernation. Anyone got any ideas?

PRETTY FUNNY…

Has anyone tried running a DIR command simultaneously in 500 CMD.EXE windows lately?

Whilst looking at the MS page about the KB909095 discussed above, I noticed another patch, Q330909_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU, which pertains to the Hibernation problem when 1GB RAM. The patch description says: “Your Windows XP-based computer may not hibernate. This problem may occur if the following conditions are true:
• Your computer has one gigabyte (GB) or more of RAM.
• Your computer is running multiple processes that create a high-stress condition.
For example, you may see this symptom if you run the dir command in 500 Cmd.exe processes.”

Personally, I often find myself opening 500 or so cmd.exe windows and trying to enter hibernation when running DIR commands in all of them simultaneously – so I was glad to find out why hibernation wasn’t working. THANKS, MICROSOFT!

I don’t remember seeing the error message above, but when I tried to hibernate, my computer would start to hibernate and then restart and the hibernate option would no longer be available when I went to Start-Shutdown. After installing the hot fix I am able to hibernate again. Thanks!