The iPhone Software Revolution

the first 2 iphones were pretty kick ass too. BTW, OS X kicks the crap out of ANY…and I mean ANY existing operating system.

Apple made 2 moves that other companies would never have the balls to make (microsoft needs to do this first one). 1) re-write OS from scratch and do not support old OS, 2) re-launch entire line of computers on intel platform. BTW, they also created the iPod…no biggie. All of these are precursors to the iphone…but doing bold things is part of apple. It’s a shame that this is your first apple product since 1984.

What has Apple truly done that was novel?

Brought down the whole operating system stack from the desktop platform. Compare and contrast to Blackberry development where you get bare bones functionality and have to roll everything else yourself.

The interesting part of this is that many of the technologies in OS/X couldn’t just be shoved onto the phone (QuickTime anyone?) so they had to rewrite them for the phone. Now they’re porting them back to the desktop (QuickTime X). It’s one of the reasons why the next version of OS/X (Snow Leopard) is smaller and faster.

…(microsoft needs to do this first one). 1) re-write OS from scratch and do not support old OS

Don’t you think that will damage their sales to businesses? When a company wants to upgrade, they have to make sure their programs work on the new stuff. Many companies have millions invested in software. I think Win7 with the download to run a XP VM is step in the right direction

I’ve been an iPhone fanboy since the first day I got my fingers on mine. It syncs to my work and home calendars, it allows me to keep up on my email whether I am in the office, at home, or in a long meeting, it helps me do my job. I am a software engineer, but for the mainframe, not pc. And yes, there is a 3270 app, but it basically sucks, not that you could do it better given the size of the screen. My wife has made a few remarks about when I get bored of it, that she will take it, but I’m afraid this is one phone that I will use until it wears out, then replace it with another.

Nokia is the worldwide leader because they make a lot of cheap phones with few features. Comparing the worldwide market shares between Nokia and iPhone is not particularly useful. People worldwide that have money to spend and like the idea of a handheld computer buy the iPhone too.

The only phone on the level of the iPhone that has a greater worldwide market share is the Blackberry, which had a big headstart, and iPhone has caught up fast.

hehe, welcome to the real world. at least :slight_smile:

Apple has made tremendous innovations in user interface. Furthermore, since they’ve sold so many units, app development is lucrative and there is a myriad of cool apps available at your fingertips (I won’t get into the average apps lifespan). However, your “closed ecosystem” comment misses the mark completely. My custom ROM on my TyTN II allows me to have cutting edge software on, albeit, aging hardware. Until my phone’s hardware can’t handle the latest software, I really have no need to upgrade. My 2 year old phone literally does everything the 3GS does.

Maybe StackOverflow will get mobile-friendly now, e.g. text with “code” Markdown will be visible even if the lines are long.

Fanboi!

It is an amazing device. After getting one for my wife she has pretty much abandoned her shiny new computer for the iPhone. Sits upstairs and surfs, games and checks her exchange mail.

It is the first real glimpse of the future of personal computing.

Excellent post.

1 Like

Of course, there are still significant problems when you try to combine “total control from front to back” with “needs third-party developers to be realize full potential of platform”:

I think Win7 with the download to run a XP VM is step in the right direction

It is the right direction…Apple did the same thing with an OS 9 VM in OS X…that is how MS could accomplish the same thing…but instead, win 7 is just a re-hash of Vista with a few improvements. BTW, which is more costly for MS…I work at a company that still runs XP because they see no point in “up” grading (I use the word “up” loosely). MS needs a vision badly

Almost convince me to buy one, you do.

To say that Apple hasn’t done anything new or novel, or to say that it’s just slick marketing, COMPLETELY misses the point. The revolution is in the way we use our cell phones, and in the way Apple has brought together a real all-in-one device into the palm of your hand. And they did it in a way that MS, Motorola, RIM, et al, couldn’t.

Cue Codinghorror gaining an influx of Apple Zealots who fill the comment areas on any Windows related posts on a million reasons why everyone who uses a Windows OS is wrong.

Now you’ve opened Pandora’s box there’s no going back.

i have an app that has been on the app store for several months now and it has been selling consistently, but nothing remarkable. the app store only makes the distribution part easy: marketing is what drives sales, though. my app has received good ratings and many of the users tell me they love it, but i am not very good at marketing (yet) so my sales are not growing (and i haven’t seen a penny myself… apple holds on to your money per territory until you get to certain threshholds). the biggest boosts in sales come from releasing new versions and getting onto the newly released list, but the itunes store is so glitchy that more often than not your app won’t show up until it’s already 3 pages back.

developing for the iphone is not really any different from developing for the desktop platform, it turns out. the gold rush came, and now we are mostly just a bunch of starving prospectors…

I read that the OS is finally somewhat responsive, wowzers. I’m still not confident with Apple’s censorship, I like to decide myself what apps to intall. But I read that it even got an 3mp camera (hahaha).
S.Jobs then: “no place for video on the iphone”. Now: "video, omg!1"
Apple ads define products and fanboys alike. F*** them…

I don’t know about you but my “computer” can run more than 1 app at a time.

it will very likely just go the way of the Wii once the shiny wears off

Do you mean it will keep on selling truckloads more than their competitors, or that it will still be a fun thing to use?

Um, what?

Android can do everything the iPhone OS can.