The iPhone Software Revolution

I believe the iPhone will go down as Apples biggest missed opportunity.

Things that will keep it from growing.

1. $99 to develop for it
  2. Apple takes %30 of the sale of your app
  3. Draconian app approval process
  4. Re-approval process just to submit an update for your app
  5. No flash or silverlight
  6. Apple forces the market to under price your app.
    Read “Conclusions and Lessons” from your link.
    http://www.streamingcolour.com/blog/2009/04/27/the-numbers-post-part-2/

To me this is just not worth the effort if your a single or in a small team of developers.

If Apple keeps this type of “control freak like mentality”, they will lose the mobile market like they did the Desktop Computer market.

Jeff, never mind that fishing game - you need to get your hands on Flight Control! Current office record 119 aircraft!

I took the plunge earlier this year and I haven’t regretted it for a minute, even when 3GS came out and made my 3G semi-obsolete. My original justification was to consolidate my phone and media player, with the added benefit of having a nice sized display to use as a portable portfolio for my photography. The availability of productivity apps was a distant third.

Since I’ve had the iPhone, I use my laptop about 1/3 as much as I used to - and I’ll probably drop that even more when I find an rss reader that has the features I want. It’s just too handy to check email, keep up with a few sites I check daily, and get a cheap gaming fix. The most I’ve spent on an app was about $5 (for the Iron Man game… it just looked too slick!). And popular apps drop their prices all the time - what used to take 2-3 years in the desktop world happens in months on the iPhone.

I had stopped buying games for the desktop and console, but when groundbreaking games like Myst are showing up on the iPhone, how long will it be before handholds are leading the way in graphics and game design? (Clue: only the Wii has competing gesture input, and the other consoles are rushing to catch up.)

I totally agree about the iPhone being a “career changing device”. 6 months ago I was spending all my time with ASP.NET (I even wrote some books about that) and a dozen other MS technologies. Then I got caught by this iPhone revolution, and now about 60% of my times goes around it. My job is more pleasant, I can create apps that even the least tech-savvy users won’t have problems to find-install-use (our last app is Postino, to print-send real postcards from your phone)…and there are a lot of clients showing interest in custom-made apps to integrate into their business apps. Go Apple go!

So how does everything you’re talking about compare to an Android phone? I was thinking of getting one of those… but you’re making a compelling case for the IPhone and now I’m confused. :wink:

To those who are saying that iPhone development is a pain: Appcelerator Titanium (http://www.appcelerator.com/products/titanium-mobile/) and PhoneGap (http://phonegap.pbworks.com/) both allow you to create fully-featured iPhone apps with open web technologies. No Objective-C, Cocoa, or Mac required.

All those things that bugged me about Apple’s computers are utter non-issues in the phone market. Proprietary handset? So is every other handset. Locked in to a single vendor? Everyone signs a multi-year contract. One company controlling your entire experience? That’s how it’s always been done.

So since “everyone is doing it” we should hop in and support it by buying the most expensive phone and one of the most expensive plans on the market?

I might be in the minority here, but I only pay about 45 bucks a month for my phone bill and that’s far too much IMO. When I look around at the financial state of the average person and what they are doing to cut costs, I literally laugh in the face of everyone who has their expensive phones / plans. Somehow paying 40+ dollars just to have the ability to give and receive calls seems a bit much.

Anyways to circle back, just because “everyone’s doing it” doesn’t mean it’s a good thing to support. I’ll go back to my mother’s basement and play on my linux box now. (That was a sarcastic remark for anyone wondering).

Fight the good fight, my friends, or no one will.

Sorry but no thanks. Not for me. I just bought a HTC Touch Diamond2:

• 800x480 screen resolution in a gorgeous display
  • Windows Mobile on which I can install ANY app I want (not just what Apple allows me to) for example:
  • Skype over 3G
  • iGo (do you even HAVE that for iPhone)
  • works on ANY carrier not just the Apple-chosen ones

Other nice perks:

• FM radio
  • 5MP camera

And now I can develop software for this device without having to give Apple 30%, just the regular 5% fee to my payment processor.

I’d like to note that, on a global scale (esp. in 3rd world countries), phones easily eclipse computers as connectors to the world. So yes, a computer in the palm of your hand is a big deal.

Proprietary handset? So is every other handset.
Locked in to a single vendor? Everyone signs a multi-year contract. >One company controlling your entire experience? That’s how it’s always been done.

Well, no, there exist the OpenMoko Neo Freerunner which is absolutely free and all opensource. Anyone can develop anything for it/ And installing applications is about as easy as it gets - you just click on app’s name and it gets downloaded and installed.

Unfortunately,Neo is not particularly usable as a phone (-8

Wow, way to embrace the status quo.

Proprietary handset? So is every other handset. Locked in to a single vendor? Everyone signs a multi-year contract. One company controlling your entire experience? …

None of this needs to be the case, unless everyone drinks the same tainted kool-aid you just did. I hope the competitors, and they exist, keep pushing open standards and platforms for people who want real freedom.

at the mild entry cost of owning a Mac, and signing up for the $99 iPhone Developer Program

I have a computer, why can’t I write programs now? There are android developers, j2me developers, palm pre developers, openmoko developers and mobile web app developers who can all use their existing hardware. I understand there are technical reasons why that’s the case, but it’s also clearly a conscious design decision where other vendors have consciously erred on the side of openness.

The iPhone is a nice bit of kit by all accounts, but I treat all it’s carefully obscured downsides that you play down as serious barriers to my accepting it as a consumer and a developer.

I would love to make apps for the iPhone, but I refuse to buy a Mac. Does anyone know of a PC version of that software or a good free Mac Emulator?

The only problem with the ‘Apple is great for this market’ is that the market is changing. It’s necessarily closed anymore. As mentioned more than a few times in the comments, if you want a ‘computer’ in your hand, go with Android.

With an Android Dev phone, there’s not much you can’t do. And whatever that is, someone will probably find a way to do it.

@AndrewDucker: Good point, I can write and install ANY app on my WM phone.

The other problem is that the iPhone is attached to the giant AT&T “dongle”, just like Mac OSX is nice, but it’s also attached to a big “dongle.”

I have friends and clients with the iPhone 3G and they all love the apps and all features of the phone, except for its ability to stay connected during a call. I don’t know if it’s the phone or the network, but all of them have frequent problems with dropped calls. If a phone/device fails in its primary purpose then I’m not interested in it. Some of them don’t really care since they mostly use the phone for everything other than talking. I haven’t heard yet if the 3GS is better at phone calls.

Last time I checked the Amazon top book seller list, Objective C books were 3 of the top 20, which tells me that there seems to be a lot of prospectors still trying to make the rush.

The App Store is not a new concept valve have had a similar product (Steam) since 2003 as have Stardock (I think that is called ImpulseDriven now).

As others have said Apple can market the heck out of something but ultimately they lose market share when someone produces a more open clone.

There are plenty of smart phones coming now that are making the iPhone look poorer by the day.

Jeff, have you ever heard of RIM and their blackberry? In fact, RIM has more market share than Apple. For some reason you didnt mention them even once. Do you have something against blackberry?

I’ve used every version of the iPhone rather extensively, but only becuase I tend to attract female Mactards. Myself, I’d never own one. It’s a very amazing device, don’t get me wrong, but my HTC Diamond is actually way better. The interface truly is slicker, the battery is TEN times better. I’d go into specifics, but I doubt you care.

The only reason you got an iPhone is because everyone else got one. Just admit it. As far as your futuristic predictions… you probably said the same thing in 1984. Come back here in 15 years and you’ll see that it’s just like when you left the Apple II behind. By then, there will be something way better, from a different company, for a much cheaper price, without proprietary nonsense. When is Apple gonna learn?!

Oh, and since you are supposed to be some kind of public voice for developers, perhaps you should try to develop something for the iPhone. Try that, and let me know how that works out for you in your next post entitled “Fuck the iPhone”!

Jeff-
I love physics games too.
Get enigmo when you have a weekend to flush down the toilet.

1 Like

What Apple is good at is making things easy to use. The original Macintosh was overpriced and underpowered and not particularly useful, but for what it could do it was easy to use. Later models were still easy to use, but also could be used for a great many things.

The iPod was useful as first introduced, but it didn’t have any feature advantage over the MP3 players of the time. What it did have was easy-to-use controls and iTunes. The combination of these was enough for Apple to dominate the portable music player market. Note that the iPod wasn’t thrown out there on its own, it was part of a larger system.

The iPhone is much the same way. It did take advantage of the abusive US cellphone environment to look better, much as the iTunes store took advantage of the dysfunctional nature of the on-line music sales business to look better. (That business has improved, by the way, allowing Amazon to join the market with a lot of DRM-free music at reasonable rates. I believe the net effect of the iPhone on the cell phone business will be good for consumers.) The addition of the App Store made the iPhone into part of a larger system. The AT&T deal isn’t great, but it’s in some ways an improvement over earlier cell contracts. The data plan isn’t real cheap, but it covers a lot of data transfer, making the iPhone into an excellent hand web browser.

The advantage the iPhone has over other smart phones is that it’s easy and fun. As Jeff pointed out, apps are plentiful, inexpensive, and easy to get and use. There are piles of books available at very low cost, and I found the iPhone an excellent way to read fiction (I doubt it would be acceptable for technical books). Typing on the iPhone works reasonably well, comparable to Graffiti on my old PalmOS machines. I wish it was a bit better at actually making phone calls, but it’s generally usable at least, and you can’t have everything.

I don’t treat my iPhone as a real computer, though. It’s too locked down for that. It does many computer functions well, but it doesn’t allow me to program directly on it like a real computer. (Yes, by those standards the zillions of locked-down PCs on office workers’ desks aren’t real computers. I’m not changing my standards.) It’s a great thing to have on its own, if not cheap.

Apple has been doing a lot better at supporting developers. I haven’t recently seen frameworks being introduced as the next great thing and quickly discarded (coughOpenDoccough). You get the full development environment with every Mac, although it’s not normally installed (it’s on one of the CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs that come with the Mac), and it’s at least better than the Visual Studio Express editions. (You can also download it for free, if you want a later version.)

Similarly, development on the iPhone is simple. The development environment is a free download. It only runs on Intel Macs, which doesn’t strike me as all that onerous a requirement (you can get one for $600, and it’s a nice machine), and if you want to get serious you spend another $99. The difference is that there’s only one standard way to sell apps on a large basis. It’s easy to use, on the whole, but subject to Apple’s arbitrary restrictions and haphazard approvals, which is frustrating.

I’m sure your second Apple product since 1984 will be a nice little Mac Mini, no which to develop apps for the iPhone.