The Pontiac Aztek and the Perils of Design by Committee

I was one of those people who thought the Aztek was the biggest crime against humanity until I took a quick peek in one as I was leaving a used car lot. WOW! Was I surprised. I ended up buying a used 2002 black ‘Darth Vader’ Aztek (with the cool ‘camo’ interior). It’s perfect! I sometimes cart a wheelchair around with me and being able to remove one of the back seats makes this an easy chore plus all the hooks and nets in the huge interior makes stashing stuff easy. My cat likes it too.

Probably not the greatest but sure will go down in history. Type of vehicle that you’ll love to hate or hate because you love it.

Clearly the only people making comments here are poor misguided aesthetically challenged souls searching the net for ANYONE who even has the guts to comment on what is the most FUGLY of any vehicle made, by far, and a total lemon at that. Proof humans are a sad lot. Only odd thing is it took GM so long to put it out of their and those who hated those things misery.

FUGLY ? seymour

Wow. I think we have amassed the compendium of people who actually like the Asstek. All 18 of them.

What’s REALLY funny are the people to spend the energy to type out their complaints about the “ugliness” of the car and how it should be done away with. Either you guys are just so feeble minded that your eggs are all placed in your vanity baskets or you just come from a bad German bloodline.
Either way, I like things you have to look past the surface to see the beauty in. I presently drive a Ford Cobra but am looking for a 2005 Darth Vader of my own as we speak. Any leads (by the open minded only) would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, gotta have the moonroof.

cheers owners

All I can say is this - I LOVED the concept car, and never forgave GM for what they did to it. Anyone who has seen pics of what it SHOULD have looked like would understand how so many people found the resulting product as a sin against humanity, which it truly is - sorry, WAS.

For those that like’em, all the power to you - that doesn’t make it any less sad. It was available for 5 model years, and sold less than 125,000 units. GM needed a minimum of 150,000 from '01-'05 just to break even. Those who like it are clearly in a small club.

You know, we like our Aztek. The bland spot did take some getting used to. Butthe other feature of the car and the nice ride make it a pretty cool. You know the design is funky but it does grow on you. Hey you guys can drive whatever you want. Some of you think that the Ford Probe was a “neat” car.

The Aztek is a great automobile. It’s the only suv/minivan that both my husband and I could agree on. It’s the best of several vehicles all in one. When I started reading about the Aztek after I bought one I was surprised to find that people thought it was unattractive. My first thought was cool finally something different.

The only complaint with it I can find is that when I do need to replace something parts typically have to be ordered but that’s the same thing I love about it. It’s not some mass produced clone.

well i feel in love with the aztek the first time i drove one.i gotta a 2 year old and one on the way.these cars are way better looking than them ugly ass scions or elements.they are funky and there are very few.they drive so smooth.and have tons of room.so to each his own.if you dont like it so be it.but i love mine@!

Yep…I too am an Aztek owner. You love em or you hate em. There is no middle ground. “Looks like a biga** roller skate”, according to one guy. I would like to see a Grand Am get that kind of response driving down the highway. So what? I betchall have an ugly shirt or two - and we have to look at it when you wear it. So what? GM created a monster…or at least had a brain fart in the execution stage but let me tell you…we dressed our white vehicle up with some strategically placed bullet hole stickers…added some cruched fenders from running into trees and packed my kid’s entire military kit into the back and we still have room for five adults and a stuffed curious george on the dash. My opinon…aztek owners are just completely comfortable with who they are and what they want in a vehicle…like those Element (shudder) people…

I just bought (TODAY) a 2004 Aztek. I REALLY LOVE the thing… I am a full-time law enforcement officer, and I have already added an LED package that mounts up beautifully with the back window (lower) and an LED selectable display that says “POLICE” and “CAUTION!!!” in switched red/blue/amber LEDs…
It carries my K9, her gear, my gear, a weapons locker, and anything else I need. The mileage is great (already went 500 plus miles today, going to N’Orleans) and anybody says the Aztek is ugly needs to look at the rolling toasters out there (Scion, Element… Euuwww) and then compare. My Aztek is 'Vader black, and it looks just cool.
Antin-Aztekkers… stay out of my jurisdiction. One laugh, one BIG ticket…

Go 'Tek

I love my 03 Aztek, has great power, room and comfort. People think they are ugly haven’t seen the new infinity suv, talk about ugly, how about the scion. GM was just ahead of the time with the look of the Aztek, now every one is trying to see who can come up with an edgy car that will allow people to have thier own identity.

Maybe the people that think that the Aztek is ugly don’t have an identity of their own, and are scared to be their own person.

I own a 2001 and I’m going on 200,000 miles, I do a lot of driving and the car hasn’t let me down yet. Other than My caliper keeps locking up and I"m going thru an awful lot of brakes. I have also gone thru an amazingly a lot of tires. I’ve heard a lot of people making a lot of other complaints that they’ve had of there’s at a lot less miles. For what it’s worth I’ve got my money’s worth out of mine and it’s never left me stranded. Yes I’ll admit I find it to be ugly but I love the way it drives and I love the inside of the car, I feel extremely comfortable in it. And yes the blind spot took some getting use too.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what anyone thinks of the Aztek. I love them and it’s the perfect vehicle for my family. I’m looking for another gently used one with low miles, close to Connecticut, for a reasonable price. Any leads or advice???
Thanks in advance.
In Love With An Aztek

I’ve had my Darth Vader black Aztek for a month now, It’s an '03 and I really like it, I was really surprised at the ride quality and power.If the blind spot bothers you, do what I did and order a 13" convex rearview clip on from J.C.Whitney. You can see eveything no problem then.

People talking about the Aztec being ugly, as if ugly design is new to Pontiac.

Hello! ALL Pontiacs are horrendously ugly cars. Looking at the car from the back and the placement and shape of the tail lights and it looks like you are looking into the eyes of an ugly insect. From the front, Pontiacs look like a giant venomous fang.

No matter how you put it, Pontiacs in general are ugly cars.

i GOT A USED AZTEC ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND I ABSOLUTELY LOV IT FOR MY 40+ STATUS. IT’S A GREAT TRAVELING CAR, PLENTY OF ROOM, IT’S HEAVY AND I FEEL VERY SECURE WHEN TRAVELING. IT HAS THE STYLE, SEX APPEAL AND HAS ATTRACTED MANY ONLOOKERS WHO STATE THEY LOVE IT AS WELL, WANTING TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF CAR IT ACTUALLY IS! I’M SHOWING MY PONTIAC AZTEC AND MYSELF OFF AT THE SAME TIME. GOTTA LOVE IT.

SURE LOVE THE PONTIAC AZTEC… ITS A 2003 GREAT RIDE, SMOOTH AS GLASS AND LOOKS LIKE A MINI HUMMER … PEOPLE THAT THINK THEY ARE UGLY HAVE NOT SEEN THE NEW TOYOTA AND HONDA PRODUCTS YET…

I LOVE MY AZTEK! I have a 2001, and was totally bummed last year when they discontinued it. We are currently looking to buy a newer Aztek, just because I love mine so much. I wish they’d bring it back. The Rendevous has the same frame, but it’s totally different. The Torrent was to take over for it, but yet it is nothing like it. I also love the split tailgate/rear window. I’m short, so it works well for me, plus it’s handy for a picnic. I love the way it drives, the design of it, and I could just go on and on. Many comments do I get for the center console/cooler. I LOVE IT! Please, just bring it back. By the looks of reading other comments several others love it also.