The Pontiac Aztek and the Perils of Design by Committee

I LOVE my 2003 Aztek! I don’t think it’s ugly at
all; actually I think it has it’s own interesting
look. There are MANY ugly cars out on the road
these days that make the Aztek a cutie! Have you looked at the Scion?! My Aztek is just hitting 35,000 miles and she’s a good runner. I
don’t regret the purchase and want you all to know it’s a good car!

Owner for 18 months of a nice red 'tek from the last model year (2005). Can you get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in your crossover? Didn’t think so. Only regret was that I could not find a yellow one. Ten speaker factory sound rocks!

my mom just traded her 99 Sable for an 04 Aztek and i must say, what a great deal. it only has 22,000 miles, rally package, and all the works. it looks fugly, but it rides so smooth, and all the features make it a loveable vehicle. sucks they quit making it cause it’s not a bad vehicle at all. much better than the explorer she was also looking at!!

hey i was looking for a car and a few people told me to get a pontiac aztek are they really that good of a ride and i think it is just the cutest car i have ever seen

I have a 2002 Azteck and I love it,the only thing that I dont like is where they put the spare tire I cant get to it I have bad health problems but,I would buy another one.

The best car on the world.!!!

I have had my yellow 2002 AZTEC for just over 2 years now and I still love it! My husband is not a big fan but has come around to why it works for me. I’m short and a bigger gal, but I can set the seat far enough back to reach both the pedals and the steering wheel comfortably and still reach any and all controls. The split rear window is great for visibility as well. I’m diabetic so the cooler in the center console is a god-send for my medications. Not to mention that this vehicle can hold just about anything I throw at it! My only complaint is that the top of the rolling pull-out tray is a little slippery so anything put on it will slide around as you’re driving. But I put a no-slip throw rug thingy on top of it and problem solved. I’m going to drive it until it dies.

I am looking into buying an Aztec and I when I saw this vehicle I absolutely loved it. It has so much room and I really like the design of it. The Aztec has so many features that you won’t find in a car…(console cooler for example). Anyway, I am looking forward to being an Aztec owner and I am supporting everyone out there who already owns one. Who cares if there are people who feel that this is an ugly vehicle, their opinion isn’t going to change my opinion of my future Aztec.

I’m looking at an '02 w/ 59k miles. Am interested in reading more from owners w/ high miles…

Heh heh, wife likes it. I have to say it’s cute in a rather hideous way. We’ve been looking at used Aztek’s vs Expeditions. I think I just wrote off the Expedition after reading about the mass of head gasket-blown engine issues.

Once I got past the ‘funky’ exterior I noticed the inside was actually a pretty good design, the cooler was definately innovative, seats supportive and rear cargo area very useful.

Maybe with some decent wheels and tires I might feel comfortable beening seen in it.

I LOVE OUR AZTEK!! MY WIFE LOVES IT, THE KIDS LOVE IT. I OWN A 2004 AWD MODEL HAVE HAD IT SINCE 2003. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST ALL AROUND VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. I AM A MECHANIC BY TRADE I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE IT HAS ALMOST 65,000 MILES ON IT JUST REPLACED TIRES AT 60,000 STILL DOESNT NEED BRAKES HAD TO TURN 1 ROTOR FOR INSPECTION .IT IS GOOD ON GAS GETS ABOUT 27-29MPG HI-WAY 17-20 CITY. IT RIDES AND HANDELS EXCELLENT!DRIVES LIKE A SPORTS CAR WITH VERY LITTLE BODY ROLL . MINE HAS THE 16 INCH ALLOY WHEEL PACKAGE GREAT IN THE SNOW IT GOES LIKE A TANK AND IT STOPS GREAT .I ALSO HAVE A 19’ BOAT I TOW THAT WEIGHS ABOUT 3600 POUNDS IT TOWS IT JUST FINE EVEN WITH 4 ADULTS IN IT.ANYONE WHO DOESNT OWN ONE DOESNT HAVE ANY ROOM TO CUT THIS FINE AUTOMOBILE DOWN. ASK SOMEONE WHO OWNS ONE.

Funny. for all of the Aztek owners, or perspective buyers, I have one two words…AMC Pacer. Another nice car

We just bought a 2004 Aztec and we love it. There is so much space in the back. The dealer said we could add a third row of seats. I haven’t been able to find any info about it. Does anyone know about this?

I have owned three Pontiacs, ranging from a 1965
Tempest Custom, a 1968 LeMans Sprint to a 1973
LeMans Sedan.Pontiac has made some good vehicles
in the past (and some not-so-good ones) and NO
WAY would I own an Aztec. Beauty being only in
the eye of the beholder, I suppose there is no
accounting for taste.

Im considering purchasing a 2001 Aztek with 39k miles. Ive read on other forums about head gaskets and expensive engine repairs after 40k. Id like to hear from some high mileage owners and anyone who can confirm this. I can purchase an extended warranty, but cant affod to miss work for days or weeks at a time due to repair time. Any helpful insight out there? THanks.

I HATE IT AND WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER PONTIAC. I WOULD RATHER TAKE A BUS!! I BOUGHT A 2001 PONTIAC 2 YEARS AGO AND AM AT THE POINT OF BURNING IT. I HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT REPAIR THE DAMN THING FROM THE DAY I BROUGHT IT HOME. THE HEAD GASKETS ARE SCREWED. THE KEY GETS STUCK DUE TO THE GEAR SHIFT. THE BCM SENSOR WENT OUT AND CAUSES ALL KIND OF ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. THE FUEL PUMP WENT OUT DUE TO AN ELECTRICAL WIRING UNDER THE DRIVER SEAT. THE REAR LATCH DOESNT OPEN HALF THE TIME. THE HEAT TAKES FOREVER TO HEAT UP. THE AC LEAKS DUE TO A DRAINAGE PLUG DEFECT. THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHTS COMES ON ALL THE TIME, EVEN AFTER IT GETS OUT OF THE SHOP. IT ROLLS AFTER YOU PUT IT IN PARK. ABS LIGHT COMES ON AND BRAKES LOCK UP IF U BRAKE WHILE YOU ARE TURNING. I HAVE ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU HEAR ABOUT ON SITES. ALL THE DEFECTS THAT CAN HAPPEN HAS HAPPENED TO MY CAR. I BOUGHT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THROUGH THE DEALARSHIP THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO COVER EVERYTHING…GUESS WHAT…ONLY ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS COVER. THE FUEL PUMP, BUT IT COST ME 600 FOR THE WIRING AND LABOR TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP. GREAT WARRANTY HUH? I HAVE ONLY PUT 12,000 MILES ON IT IN THE LAST 2 YEARS CAUSE I DONT TRUST IT TO GO LONG DISTANCES. WHEN I BOUGHT IT, IT ONLY HAD 52,000 MILES ON IT. I FEEL GUILTY EVEN TRADING IT IN FOR SOME POOR SOUL TO HAVE TO BUY IT FROM THOSE LIEING, DECEIVING SALES MAN WILL SELL ANYTHING TO MAKE A SALE. I WOULDNT SUGGEST ANYONE TO BUY ONE. THE BAD OUT WEIGHS THE GOOD. I PROMISE!!

I love my 2003 Aztek. I just got it this year. It has so many features and is incredibly durable. I am the mother of 3 boys and this is the perfect SUV that has it all. If they ever make it again I will run out and buy a brand new one. It is a far better car than the ugly Element or the ugly Scion. Ugly is the new pimpin these days. I only wish I discovered this car sooner.

Ok so lots of opinions from those who dont even drive an Aztek. I love it. Yes its different, thats what I like about it. Who wants to be like everyone else. I moved my mother in it yesterday OMG the amount of stuff you can fit into it is amazing!! Not to mention kids and all their bags and sports gear!Its travel friendly. Even a cooler attached!! Mine is a loaded Maroon 2003 and I would buy another anytime. The next one will be yellow though!

I love my 2003 AZTEK!! I think it arrived before it’s time, that’s why “PEOPLE” can’t or couldn’t appreciate it! Hopefully GM will go back to the table with this (THE AZTEK)!!!

Anybody who doesn’t like my Aztek can kiss my fucking ass, especially those yammering magpies at cartalk.