The Pontiac Aztek and the Perils of Design by Committee

I LOVE MY AZTEK! I bought a 2003 new in 2003 and it still runs as well as the day I bought it. No problems at all. All you nay sayers are afraid to try it because you might like it!

Hey,

I bought a 2004 pontiac aztek about six months ago and I absolutely love it! It is very comfortable and I have not had any problems at all since I have it. It is the right mix between a car, a truck, a van and an suv. It has it all, comfort, economy and a very smooth ride!

Iā€™ll agree they are ugly, but for kicks I drove one the other day and it completely changed my mind! What they lack in looks they slaughter in interior efficiency and effectiveness. And if you will use your brain you use the inside of your vehicle not the outside.

Had a good chuckle out of reading all the ā€œuglyā€ ā€œno tasteā€ comments. They are right, it is butt ugly. Still have my 2001, been all over Ontario towing a tent trailer. No major problems yet, awesome ride. In the middle of winter it is nice to turn the dials without taking your gloves off. As far as bean-counters go- creative ideas and bean counters is an oximoron.

well,
I loved these Azteks when they first came out, my kids thought I was nuts, now years later I just found and purchased a 2001, Yes, I now know its the ORIGINAL !! (59k )It is ā€˜Sun on Leaf Greenā€™ ( would love to find out the real name for the colourā€¦) We love it !! It was a meant to be,
I have raised my gaggle of kidz in Suburbans and then Yukons, had a fear factor of tiny things but needed better mileage, We are getting 27-30 MPG, sit up off the road, all windows downā€“we blow our hair back, the seats are most adjustable and comfortable, and I now am sure that the original intuitions were right on trackā€¦You look around and its easy to see that as outrageous as it may have seemed in the beginning, it didnt take long for every one else to jump on the wagon, You are correct in stating that the aztek was just ahead of its time, but all credits to its creaters, they won !!

I bought my Aztek in '01. I love it. I am starting to have a few electrical issues, but I nothing to major. It is perfect for my life style. Have you seen the new cross overs? Remindes me of the Aztek. I hope GM puts them back out. I would buy another one. When they came out, I thought I would never own one, but I was wrong and glad that I am.
Many of the upper end cross overs are uglier than the Atek.

i already know what s said about the aztek, some love it, some hate it, i thought it was weird looking at the beginning, maybe it was only that the world wasnt ready for it back in 2001, im getting mine next week, i like it a lot, never imagined iā€™d own oneā€¦about the electrical problem it may be a moist harness below the driver seat, dry it and get some dielectrical grease on itā€¦when i read ā€œdarth vaderā€ from ppl who likes the aztekā€¦i start to realize i might be a nerd after all
-diana

Well it looks like the majority of these posts are ā€œproā€ AZTEK! I am happy to include myself as a very satisfied owner. My husband says it looks like a Rhinoā€¦ my nephews call it ā€œThe Great Pumpkinā€ā€¦ and my co-workers refer to it as ā€œPokemonā€, however she will always be my ā€œOrange Dreamā€. I have a 2005 Fusion Orange Rally and wouldnā€™t trade it for ā€¦ no not even a 65 Classic Corvette. Blind spot??? What blind spotā€¦ HANG UP YOUR CELL PHONE! Cheers to my fellow Aztek lovers!

I own a 2004 orange rally addition aztek and for the price it is fully loaded. The inside has over 8 cup holders, a cooler and several power outlets and just as much gadjets as any top of the line suv.I love the way it looks(Iā€™ll never loose it in a crowded parking lot)and drives. The aztek does draw a lot of attention,some people do not know what it is. It has a lot of room( you can fit a house in the trunk) and everyone calls me when they need something moved. The aztek is also great in the snow. Who wants to be like everyone else, itā€™s nice not to follow the crowd.

I love my 2001 Aztek, bought new in 2002. Itā€™s red and I call it my little fire truck. My husband calls it the Transformer. Even though itā€™s a 2001, the paint and interior have held up very well and it almost looks like a new car. My husband thinks itā€™s ugly, but he likes the ride, especially for long trips. I previously drove a Bonneville and a Buick Reatta. I love the visibility, but agree that you have to be careful about the blind spot. I lost my transmission under warranty and just had to have my gas gauge (the part in the tank) replaced. No other problems. I can load an entire flea market booth in the back and use it to transport sample items for work. Mine is the loaded, rally version. I donā€™t think the options in the redesign model are as nice.

I love my Aztec! I bought it in 2001 and still have it today, I have 84,000 miles on it and it never gave me a days trouble. My kids call it the ā€œtankā€ and the younger kids say it looks like a leggo car. Don"t know why they stopped making the truck itā€™s a great vehicle. Yes its ugly but like everything else it went full circle from ugly to cute.

What I realized by reading the above comments is that, people and their tastes can be so different; and there is a small minority which is so different from the general population (in a bad way). BTW, are you all Aztek apologists, members of Aztekfansclub.com?, on a mission to boost the general morale and defend your decision to purchase this FUGLY car.

I feel I have a right to complain and type negative comments about the POS that GM passed off to itā€™s buyers. I spend at least 30 hours a month cutting up my arms with razor edged brackets and ill-designed parts while changing out the constantly failing intake manifold gaskets on the 3.4L engine in the Aztek. That engine, ESPECIALLY when itā€™s stuffed into the aztek engine bay, is like one of those chinese puzzles that can only be taken apart one way, and to remove one simple part requires just about everything else on the engine to be removed. Itā€™s one of the only cars I know of that takes 3 hours to change the thermostat in, and 4 hours to change the plugs and wires. You have to remove the intake manifold to change the alternator! Anyone who thinks they made a good decision and saved money buying an Aztec obviously doesnt realise that when they pay to have normal maintenance and repairs done they are losing/wasting massive amounts of money compared to just about any other car (unless you compare it to another GM vehicle with a V6 engine in it). Not to mention if you ever spill a bottle of water on the floor behind the drivers seat you will short out the fuel pump, since the connector isnt waterproof from the inside of the truck, just the outside (SUV! hah!)

I love my 2004 Aztek! All my friends who drive the usual boring Camry or Civic get inside this and are amazed. I have single handedly sold over 7 people on switching from Toyota/Honda to Pontiac. Give a Pontiac a try! I love my Aztek and my wife loves her Torrent.

First of all; this is a review site for those who own or may want to purchase, a certain model vehicle. It isnā€™t a site for those who do not even own one to leave nasty hateful comments; just because it does not suit your taste.If you dont like it,dont talk about it or have anything to do with itā€¦move on.If you dont own one then you dont need to worry about it ,do you!
I own a 2002, with 125k and it rides and drives as if it were new,i I like it a lot, and i hope i got a good deal.
Sometimes you get a bum deal from the start, sometimes its how the vehicle is driven, maintained that makes the difference.
If your worried about working on it, I work on my vehicles too; but I looked before I bought it. I knew I wouldnt be able to work on it because of itā€™s design. Then again, the Aztec is not worse than a few GM screwups i could name.I have owned several.

I wanted to write this in hopes that people who are considering buying an Aztek may read it and feel better about their decision.

Read all of the people who love themā€¦ if you are looking at one you must like itā€¦ go test drive one and you will fall in love with it.

I test drove mines and itā€™s been love every since. I donā€™t bother listening to the ā€œwhy did you get that ugly carā€ because once they walk up to it they are like ā€œwow these are large in sizeā€ then you open the doors and they go ā€œWOW THIS IS NICEā€

Honestly I really donā€™t have a complaints. Everyone complains about the rear fin dudeā€¦ you have a LARGE WINDOW in the back itā€™s a small line that goes across it actually looks like they intended to put it there to block out peoples high beams becuase thatā€™s exactly what i DO NOT suffer from any longer.

Man so many features i could go on and on.

Fast, Roomy, comfortable, removable console/cooler, nice 8 speaker sound system, smooth ride, good mileage on gas everything is great.

The brake system is a little different and weird butā€¦ nothing that would turn my head and make me not want the vehicle.

if you have any questions you would like to ask about it you can email me jirealformat@yahoo.com

can anyone tell me why my gas gauge does not work on my 2002 Aztec?

iā€™ve gotten a lot of crap from a lot of people (mainly GUYS) who think that ā€œaztecs are ugly cars and getting it in yellow just makes it worse!ā€

to me, my aztec looks like a giant lego. and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. i think that the aztec represents a more alternative and possibly even futuristic take on automobiles. tradionally ā€œattractiveā€ cars just donā€™t appeal to me at all. just because you drive something that costs more than your annual salary doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s aesthetic or practical.

the aztec is the definition of not judging a book by itā€™s cover. i love my yellow 2002 aztec. itā€™s my first car and i could not ask for anything better.

owning an aztec can be a statement, and not everyone in this world can handle bold statements. especially ones that donā€™t sound as ignorant as their statements do.

I have a 2001 aztek with 66,000 miles and it also has been awesome so far, but is now giving me trouble. Gas gauge is shot, ignition also is starting to malfunction. I too have gone through lots of tires and brakes, but I do love my ā€œcarā€. We call it our spaceship! Anyone else had trouble with the ignition?

In resonse to ggszamumā€™s post on on June 19, 2007 06:40 PM
I have the exact same car, the 2001 original and the same color as yours. I purchased it a couple weeks after the car was released. it is called CHAMELEON GREEN since the color changes somewhat depending on the outdoor lighting and time of day. The color name actually serves well to describe its capabilities, as we owners well know and love. The unusual height and depth in back when you take out the cargo tray allow us to jam pack food and fun items along with luggage for five for a full weekā€™s stay at condos once or twice a year. It drives smooth as silk, is great on gas, and I use it primarily for back and forth to work. I am completely at home when in the driverā€™s seat, and family members who are passengers say itā€™s their favorite ride ever.