The Pontiac Aztek and the Perils of Design by Committee

I own an Aztec and it is the biggest piece of crap ever!!! I would defintielynot recommend this car to anyone!! Nothing but problems since the day I bought it which was only 2 months ago! The transmission will fail on you, it did on my and my dad! So, don’t buy one if you were actually thinking about it!

Good to see all the Azztek owners are so in love with their rides. Having such a recognizable car on the road makes it so much easier for all the other drivers to see and avoid people going through an identity crisis this way!

Love my big yellow 2002 Aztek. My friends call it the ‘happy car’. Maybe ugly on the outside, but way cool on the inside. Everyone I take for a ride has an instant attitude adjustment once they’re riding in it.
TRUTH, you sound frighteningly like Hitler, but you’re a lousy speller, so no threat there, and a guy named ‘SEYMOUR’ is calling my car Fugly? If you guys are evocative of the mass majority, I am happy to be in any minority that doesn’t include you knuckle draggers.

My ex-wife, a psychology major, told me about studies that were made with college students, putting them through this useless, frustrating test for several hours. It had not point to it other than to study their reactions. When quizzed about it afterwards, each participant talked about how they felt their experience was relevant and useful to the outcome of the research. The point? Their minds were not able to admit that they had blown a wad of time on an pointless endeavor, and had to come up with a rationalization for the experience (and for most Aztec users as well, apparently)

I have a 2004 Aztec and really love it, the only down fall I’ve had is the resale value is way low. I owe $16,000 but the top of the blue book only allows $10,000. But I love the design and the color “RED”.

We’ve had two - 2001 and 2003. Like a lot of other people, we thought they were ugly - at first. Then we drove one and fell in love. The only critical comment I can make is about the blind spot, but if you took driver training and know how to drive, it is not a big problem. We bought it because it has the largest space cargo space of any vehicle for its’ size - as in taking the kid to college. The sound system is the best, add the air compressor, camping kit, comfort and handling, good mileage, but most especially the cooler, air conditioning vents, which are the best in any vehicle made, and the red dashboard lights - a much better idea, especially for night driving. It is a great car for road trips. In my opinion, people don’t like the looks because they are intimidated. The look of the front end, plus the dark windows, put people off - when you drive one, you can practically see other drivers look at it and then not pull out in front of you! It was a shame that they “threw the baby out with the bath water” when they discontinued the car - the inside is the best designed vehicle for comfort and convenience of any - ever. The new Torrent, by comparison is a piece of caca. All they had to do was keep the inside and then make it look like all the other cookie cutter vehicles on the road. For those who don’t like the looks - tough.

What a vehicle! If you haven’t driven one, you should. Fabulous. One of the best values for the money. I realize that those of you that bought a new Aztek my have taken a bit of a bath with the resale value, but, those who purchased a used Aztek are laughing all the way to the bank. I love my 2004 Aztek. Purchased it for $12,500 and worth every penny.

No buyer regrets here, having just bought my 2005 Aztek a month ago. I’m a realtor, and I didn’t really want to spend a fortune on a new vehicle. I needed something with more room than most cars, but didn’t want to go with a Mini Van. Add to that that my husband hates SUVs I had just bought a year old Ion3 in May of 06 that I ended up hating, I didn’t want to make a another mistake. I feel so great about my purchase, I got the vehicle that fulfills my needs at a very reasonable price. My gas mileage is similar to many of the full size cars out there. It’s got some pep, and really feels great behind the wheel. As for other peoples reactions, my peers at work all seem to like it (maybe Realtors are a strange breed), but my family reaction is more negative than positive for looks, but once inside they change their tune. Okay so its considered a flop, don’t care, I’ve also owned 3 fieros and loved them too. FYI, I’m one of those persons that thought they looked sharp in the Ads when they first came out. Happy in WI

A lot of these comments seem far too weird and similar to each other to be real. How many mention the ugliness of Scions, or how ‘different’ Aztek owners are (that part I might agree with)?

Jeff, baby, can you check the IP address of the posters and tell me that I’m not going crazy? There’s no way this many people actually like the Aztek.

well then another moron has spoke

well then another narrow minded person has spoke

I have to be honest the first time I saw the Azteck I thought it was ugly. But now I have one. As a working mother of three I love the car. I have just graduated from college and everyone of my friends is getting new cars and I have no interested in a new car. My car is great and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. However, I am looking in tring to add a third row of seats if anyone has any inforamtion on it I can do that or if ponitac has them?? All I have to say is don’t knock it itll you try it!!!

Who cares, what have we come to here!!! The other day I was comming home from work. I was so excited to get home and see our new couch. It was a huge investment, my husband and I work hard for everything we own. I remember feeling so proud, and then some guy plows into the side of my car. He failed to yield right of way while he was turning left. It was a toatal loss for us. We bought an aztec today, I wasn’t looking for one, never even heard of it. It was affordable and belive it or not I have read really good reviews, all cars have problems. Best thing about it is I got it cheap, because so many people are fixated on the way it looks, and not the actual efficiancy of the car. So thank you to all you critics…I am now in a roomy, gas efficiant aztec that my family can travel comfortably in.

My 2001 Aztek has 140,000 miles on it, still going strong. Have had issues with the AC, other than that I have put less money into repaires for the aztek, than any vehicle I have ever owned.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer gets to design a car.

I just wanted to point out that after a search of all the currently available new and late model small SUV’s (including ugly ones), I bought a 2001 Aztek. It was the only one that my 6 foot 5 inch body fit in. It seems that the design trend for the small SUV “requires” a large wide console that takes away a big man’s needed knee room. If you are tall and don’t want to waste gas in a big SUV, look paste the “unique” design and take a seat. You will be sold by the room and the comfort (anyone my height knows how hard it is to find a seat that is comfortable. The plus is my 5’ 7" wife is comfy too.

My husband just bought me one. I am totally in love with this suv. Different, well yes it is. Does it look like everything else out there, nope it sure doesn’t and that is what attracted me to it.Once I sat in it I was blown away by the cubby holes in the cockpit. I smoke so there is a spot for the smokes and on the other side my cell.The cooler is great for my cd’s also. And I really like all of the power outlets throughout it.I have coolers that have heat/cooling options and I can plug one in for hot food and plug another one in for keeping drink cold.The day after we bought ours we left on a vacation for 14 days. Racked up over 5,000 miles on it. Never had a back ache at all. Storage everywhere. I have more people come up to me and ask about it and once they look inside and see all it has to offer they love it as well. Mine is a sleek blk, with red and black interior and as luck would have red is my favorite color. It is totally tricked out and I couldn’t be happier with ours.It is a 2002 and we only paid 8,000 for it with our trade in. So I think we got a great deal.
I find it rather disheartening that all those here who don’t own one sit and complain. Different is what makes the world go around.If everyone drove the same thing or type of vehicle the world would really be a boring place. So get a life and quit bashing those of us who do like it and have had no problems.

wow can’t believe the ones who are SO negative. they have to be some of the dullest people on the road. we purchased an 01 new, now with 88,000 and have had no problems. change oil and tires and maintain it like any car and it will take you anywhere. been border to border and coast to coast and still heading out on long hauls. looking for another, hopefullly yellow with sunroof this time. don’t need another vader black. am a traveling contractor and it has ample room for all my tools and gear with left over for the wifes stuff too. hauls as much gear as my F250 but rides oh so much better.

I have had my aztek for 2 years now. I love it! Ya know, everyone has a right to their own opinion, that’s what makes the world go round. My Aztek has treated me like a princess. It’s soo comfy and roomy and yes, I do have comments about the back, negative, and possitive. Once people ride in it, they love it. It’s amazing how people contain the same thoughts and ideas as the ones around them. Some guy probably had an opinion of the vehicle " that’s the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen" and so on and so forth. Just because it isn’t a vipor. And then so did his friend and his cousins uncles brother. lol. Guys love camaros right??? I know more people than not that think the front is like a boat. so there ya go. Don’t diss people just because they like or don’t like something. Everyone is subject to their own opinion. leave it at that.

I think anyone saying that Azteks are “ugly”, “designed by a committee” and some other such nonsense, never rode in one. Azteks are for folks who like bargain hunting. For us, Aztek owners, the popular reaction to the vehicle has been a bonus: we got great value for very little money, because there was so little demand for it. My Aztek, frankly, is the best vehicle I have ever had. Where GM failed was not in building it, but in marketing it.

Keep your Azteks, ladies gentlemen–this car will become a classic!