The Wrong Level of Abstraction

In Why Isn't My Encryption.. Encrypting? we learned that your encryption is only as good as your understanding of the encryption code. And that the best encryption of all is no encryption, because you kept everything on the server, away from the prying eyes of the client.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/06/the-wrong-level-of-abstraction.html

IMHO it would’ve been nice to see you comment on the pitfalls of using 3rd party libraries, and how you need to abstract those out with this article.

I dunno, I think you could’ve picked a better word than abstraction to describe implementation specifics in the first place.

I think abstraction here is a really poor choice of words for what you’re describing.

I also think you could’ve covered some of the pitfalls of using 3rd party libraries in your code, and how you need to abstract those out of the rest of your code for maintainability.

I dunno… maybe Coding Horror has jumped the shark. Who are you, and what have you done with Jeff Atwood?

I think abstraction here is a really poor choice of words for what you’re describing.

I also think you could’ve covered some of the pitfalls of using 3rd party libraries in your code, and how you need to abstract those out of the rest of your code for maintainability.

I dunno… maybe Coding Horror has jumped the shark. Who are you, and what have you done with Jeff Atwood?

It is interesting to see the lengths people will go to in order to justify working with stone knives and bearskins instead of power tools.

I suspect an overriding factor is the lack of experience with anything but the naked programming language they’ve chosen. These are probably also the same sorts of people who claim migration among programming languages and platforms is trivial. They simply do not have a professional level of experience invested in a given ecosystem.

We used to call these people trainees and junior programmers. But on the Internet nobody knows you’re a dog.

Oh, and I liked “Orange” better.

OMG they never showed up. Sorry!!!

The big problems with this philosophy are:

1. Inter-library dependencies. This is a major problem with a lot of OSS frameworks. These libraries don’t worry about these dependencies and leave the worry up to you. So you end up with an encrytpion library that requires JRE 1.4 but some other library that requires JRE 1.6+. And then the headaches begin.

2. Libraries often try to be all things to all people. So you end up with tons of useless code bloat when all you want to do is encrypt a simple string. How many dozens of megabytes of code did you just add to your solution when you only needed one method out of the whole thing? Besides code bloat you are also dealing with learning bloat. You have to dig through all of the countless options to get to what you really want.

3. How do you know that the library you are using is really doing it better than you can do yourself? Unless you take the time to look at the specific implementation details of that EncryptStringforBrowser method, how do you know that it isn’t just using the same defaults that you used? You don’t. So taking the time to understand it is still required.

4. I don’t care what anyone wants to tell you, security through obscurity is not ridiculous. As the sole method of security it is. But as part of a layered approach it just gives one more hurdle that the attackers must crack. And if you use a well known library then they don’t have to work very hard to crack your code if there are known exploits. Many will likely beat me up on this but they are probably not understanding my point.

Overall I find libraries to be useful for most things. But their use does have its downsides.

@qwert
"So you do all of your coding in assembly?"

What?! And trust an assembler?!!!

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

Libraries might be useful in more cases if it didn’t take more time to make them work for you than it does to solve the problem yourself.

I believe that the reason that a lot of programmers opt for the “roll your own” method instead of using an existing library is that it makes them feel more like a true programmer, other than just another “code borrower” that they probably went to school with and made fun of going through their CS degree program.

I just felt the need to respond to this.

It’s a balancing act.

If you’re using a library that’s still using a method that’s now considered insecure, whose fault is it if your site is insecure? You may not even be fully aware it’s happening (that’s the point of abstraction isn’t it?). If you were down in the details you’d be aware of exactly what was going on, so if you do find it’s insecure you can both identify that you have a problem, and enable yourself to fix it (not always so with the abstraction).

There’s a flip side to that abstraction and sometimes it isn’t worth it. In the case of security it can be pretty clear cut many times, but many times you inherit design flaws, maintenance nightmares, etc, for an abstraction that only casually fits your problem. Sometimes it’s a win to roll your own, despite the existence of solutions.

sweet

I believe that the reason that a lot of programmers opt for the “roll your own” method instead of using an existing library is that it makes them feel more like a true programmer, other than just another “code borrower” that they probably went to school with and made fun of going through their CS degree program.

None the less, security over ego always wins the fight.

First?

That way a buffer overflow won’t imperil just your site, it will imperil tens of thousands of severs.

(And what it the world does Mitchell hanker after?)

This is very true.

Now talking about Cryptography, even if you are using a very popular and secure library, there is a chance that you screw things up of you don’t know cryptographic primitives.

The biggest factor is that the person writing the code, whether it be from scratch or using some library, should know atleast the basics of the field. Otherwise, you will see people encrypt data with the best encryption algorithm in the most secure chaining mode and then attach the key in plaintext with the data.

I completely agree that we ahould use standrd libraries for these kind of stuff, but I am just adding that to write secure code, get a developer who knows the naunces of security. That is in a way another layer of abstraction, isn’t it?

And then there are a bunch of people who don’t even use the primitives of the language. They write their own code!: http://www.diovo.com/2009/02/wrote-your-own-encryption-algorithm-duh/

Well, yes. Library code is good, good library code that’s being maintained by someone else is even better. We get the strong, debugged, field-tested code just sitting there.

What I wish more people I’ve worked with would remember is that, if needs be, we can write our own libraries. Finding variations on the same non-circular wheels repeated throughout projects is a waste of developer time, a functionality problem for our users and intensely frustrating for the maintainers. When you then find that a function is written on the assumption that the wheel is basically circular but has this kink under some circumstances…

When we can, use a decent pre-existing library. When we can’t, write our own library and use that - most problems aren’t unique.