Visual Studio .NET 2003 and 2005 Keyboard Shortcuts

To Reverse collapse of your regions (expand all), you can use CTRL+M, CTRL+P.

Hi.
Do you know what the syntax for ALT+TAB would be in C++? Sort of like browsing through your windows applications.

Thanx

Any idea on how to remove what seems to be an “embedded” keyboard command when you are in a SQL Server query designer? The undocumented keyboard “shortcut” is Shift-Space which moves the cursor focus to the first column of the row and selects the row.

I ask because if you are typing CAPS and hit the spacebar, this “shortcut” becomes unproductive! Any ideas on how what this shortcut is or how to remove it? Not in the keyboard mapping within Visual Studio, at least not showing.
Thank you!

For ages I searched for a key to set focus to the heading style combo (block format combo) when editing in VS’s html editor. Couldn’t find one but here’s a macro that does it. Bind a keystroke to it and it works great…

Imports System
Imports EnvDTE
Imports EnvDTE80
Imports Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommandBars
Imports System.Diagnostics

Public Module Module1

Public Sub FocusToSyleCombo()

' Get the formatting commandbar and make sure its visible
    Dim cb As CommandBar = DTE.CommandBars("Formatting")
    cb.Visible = True

' Set focus to the block format combo
    cb.Controls("Block Format").SetFocus()

End Sub

End Module

Here is a nice cheat sheet (PDF) of VS keyboard shortcuts.

http://iamacamera.org/default.aspx?section=homeid=43

Marius, ctrl+tab works in vis studio, at least in c#, wouldn’t think it’d be dif for c++.

Hi guyz, tnx alot for all the info, but could anyone tell me how can I navigate between functions definitions in C++ in vs2005? I mean something like to go to next function body and go to previous function body.

tnx.

Ctrl - (hyphen) is good for navigating back to where you were in your code, Ctrl Shift - to go in other direction. Ridiculously useful.

Ctrl Shift R to record a series of keystrokes, Ctrl Shift R again to stop recording… Ctrl Shift P to play

Ctrl ] (square bracket) is useful to find matching brace in Javascript

May 27, 2007

Good work!

The major mistake was made by IBM and Microsoft over 20 years ago, moving function keys on the standard keyboard from a two-column, left-side pod to a row above the main pod, adding clutter with the redundant navigation pods and “Windows” keys. Making the function keys hard to use was followed by gradual abandonment of function-key mappings by software products.

We retained several high-quality keyboards from prior years, and we map to them, providing, for example, single-stroke, non-chorded keys for the most frequently used functions: copy, cut and paste. That alone brings a typical 1-2 percent productivity increase.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c15d210d-a926-46a8-a586-31f8a2e576fedisplaylang=en

in the editor…

1)Instead of deleting back to the period…

Ctrl+Space brings up list of an object’s properties and methods

Instead of deleting back to the parentheses…

Ctrl+Shift+Space brings up list of an function’s parameters

Ctrl + Right : Autocomplete the current member via intellisense. Do it just after a dot to see all available choices.

Keyboard shortcuts are the best. Once you start using them, you really can’t stop. Since I’ve even been implementing them into my ie surfing, it’s quite a breeze using ie quickly. Generally, I’ll open up a number of tabs and use

ALT D – to get to the url bar, then type in the address
CTRL TAB – to switch between tabs

Then I can also just use the arrow keys to move up and down the page. Only problem is, that if you’re commenting on someone’s blog (like here) TAB generally doesn’t work the most efficiently. You really have to use the mouse in that case. But otherwise, it’s great not having to use the mouse for everything – especially on my laptop, as the plastic fades away easily.

stumbled on this whilst trying to find a keyboard shortcut to get back to the code window since f7 doesnt work anymore.

try ctrl-tab.

A few nifty shortcuts i love are:
ctrl + . to bring up that code smart tag which adds in missing using statements or fully qualified names.

another great one is if you highlight a class field and hit ctrl + r, e (the chorded style shortcut). It makes that field a property. :smiley:

Thanks, Rob, for the Control-M-O thing, I was going crazy looking for the NUM key on my laptop because the references I read said it was num - .
You really saved me lots of effort!

I just learned Ctrl-. (or Shift-Alt-F10) today.

That is the coolest one ever.

Type Regex and hit Ctrl-. and Enter.

using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

was automatically added to your using section.

Do you know how many times I went to the help to try to remember what object things were under (like Path.[System.IO] or Process.[System.Diagnostics] or Color.[System.Drawing]?

Anyone who knows how to collapse all nodes of the Solution Explorer and vice versa.I have 50-60 projects and collapsing/expanding them one by one is a pain.
Thanks

raj:
http://geekswithblogs.net/scottkuhl/archive/2007/04/09/111195.aspx

@raj:
Search for CoolCommands 3.0 . The macro that is presented on http://geekswithblogs.net/scottkuhl/archive/2007/04/09/111195.aspx is quite slow.

Finding matching End If in VB.net (Equivalent c # find matching brace)

Hi people - in short there is no such functionality in VB.NET. So here a little macro I wrote to do the Job !

Put the cursor on the ‘end if’ and it finds the ‘if’. Put it on the ‘if’ and it finds the 'end if’
I simply re- map ‘CTL ]’ to the marcro with ‘Use New Shortcut In:’ setting to text editor