What's Your Backup Strategy?

One thing that pushed me towards a bootable mirror of my main disk was the time it takes to restore my system from the install disks. It took me the best part of a day to wipe and reinstall my iMac, and that was without restoring my data. I have better things to do with my time than watch progress bars all day!

I settled on SuperDuper in the end. The longer story is here:

http://www.zx81.org.uk/computing/opinion/backup.html

Now with Leopard I like the look of Time Machine, but I’ll probably still keep a mirror around, perhaps off-site.

jwz said: Option 1: Learn not to care about your data. Don’t save any old email, use a film camera, and only listen to physical CDs and not MP3s. If you have no possessions, you have nothing to lose.

jeff said: This is obviously meant as satire

Actually, it’s not satire, it’s a concept in Buddhism. Losing stuff makes you suffer, and the goal’s to eliminate suffering.

LOL @ Christopeher Finke

clever :slight_smile:

Why do so many people think RAID mirroring etc provides even remotely suitable backup? Drive failure is only a relatively infrequent cause for me having to do restores for people. It’s usually due to corruptions, deletions, viruses, stupidity, dangerous-users*, etc, and a RAID will cheerfully reproduce that across the whole array.

*for example, someone cataloging all their images in Picasa/Lightroom/etc and then deleting all the jpegs off their PC

http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/DeltaCopy.jsp

I agree with Samuli.

You must be crazy :slight_smile:
Not using a secondary drive, you might just as well not backup at all.
Hardware will fail.

I’m a Windows user. When I have a problem, I buy software.
I’m a Windows user too. If I have a problem, I find a freeware alternative (and if I’m feeling really generous, I donate a few bugs).

I’m a Windows user. When I have a problem, I buy software.

I’m a Mac user, and I often do the same thing. I’ll second the votes for SuperDuper. I had a go at making rsync do my back-up stuff for me, but I couldn’t figure it out enough to trust it.

SuperDuper saved my ass when my hard drive did go south.

I’ve used Acronis for years to keep 3 or 4 computers backed up. Images to an external hard drive are fast and reliable. It’s a good idea to have a cloned HD handy too, because one day your external HD will also fail and you’ll lose all of your backup images and data. (Of course, we all hope we just don’t lose everything at once.)

Just last night, my most important software stopped loading. Reinstalling it didn’t help, so I restored an Acronis image from about 6 weeks ago. Took about 15 minutes for the restoration and all updates.

Acronis True Image is without a doubt, Best In Class.

cwRsync is a handy packaging of rsync/rsyncd if you want to run rsync on Windows, but don’t want to have any other cygwin applications.

Also, backing up to “another partition of a single drive” is only half a backup. It protects you from basic stupidity, but not mechanical failure. The important thing to remember is that a $100 external drive from your favorite computer store is a lot less than a $5000 data recovery attempt which comes with no guarantees. If your data is worth $100, then buy another drive and back up to it.

IMO, Mozy FTW. It’s easy to install, cheap, capacious, and pretty close to foolproof. If you’re paying for massive amounts of bandwidth, why not use a smidge of it to give you secure, managed offsite backups rather than rolling your own? If there’s a house fire, the guy with two extra drives on his desk is screwed, while all I have to do is go to Mozy.com with my new PC and pull down all my critical files.

Daily backup copy of my current work folder on a thumbdrive, and an every Sunday evening backup of everything on a Western Digital My Book.

So far I have not found a good online backup system. Some people say Mozy is good but if you do some searching there are many horror stories of people having trouble restoring from it. Also, the client software sucks.

At the moment I use a script with SyncToy (free from Microsoft) and Truescrypt to back up to an encrypted external drive. I used to use DriveImage XML for imaging my system drive, but switched to Ghost. It’s old but very reliable. It doesn’t pollute your system like Acronis does either.

An ideal solution would be a wifi link to a neighbour, with whom you can exchange backups. Problem is I don’t know anyone living close enough who I trust enough to do it with :frowning:

I think a backup strategy (including off-site) should be used in combination with RAID 1 to protect against hard drive failures. Of course, I figured this out after my hard drive died. You can read more about my experience at
http://www.basilv.com/psd/blog/2006/digital-disaster-preparing-for-a-hard-drive-crash

Concerning RAID: You learn quickly how good a RAID (no matter which level) will serve for backup purposes when you discover that it will not only mirror your data in milliseconds, but also your deletions. So, after an accidental del /s . or rm -rf * in the wrong directory, you’ll be crying for a real backup, not a RAID.

I prefer TrueImage for a system drive image (always divide into at least 2 partitions - one for system programs, one for data) every some weeks (beats dd by compression), unison to keep a copy on the fileserver up to date and rsync (cwrsync, only needs one cygwin dll to be operative) to backup incrementally to three external USB disks.

I’m using a handy script called rsyncbackup.vbs from a computer magazine which will - on NTFS formatted external disks - make rsync hardlink all files which are already present. So you get a full backup for the cost of an incremental one. Cool, but only commented in german: ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/listings/0609-126.zip

Backing up the windows registry:-

I was told the best way to do this is to install windows again on the machine and make it dual boot to a different windows home.

Then boot to this windows install and back everything up.

Restore becomes, create vanilla windows in the alternate home, restore backup, dual boot it back.

I’ve never done this but it’s how a friend used to back his windows machines up.

HTH

Hey Now Jeff,
This was a real good PSA. I also like to make data DVD’s of personal media file (pix flix) in addition to an extra drive. Some day everyone will have a home server.
Coding Horror Fan,
Catto

Jumping on the dog pile toward the end, it’s always good to see data backup getting more air time. Few conversations are as awkward as when your less technically inclined friends lose data and expect you to fix it.

Paraphrasing an actual conversation I’ve had:

“Hey, I can’t access my pictures any more, it just pauses for a while and then gives me some error. Can you help?”

“Sure, has your computer done anything else unusual lately? Started making odd sounds, or having other errors?”

“No, nothings changed, I just turned it one today and nothing works!”

*Examine the computer, notice loud and painful noises coming from the area of the hard disk.

“Sounds like your hard disk is dying”

“Ohh, that noise? It can’t be that, it’s been making that noise for months!”

The only thing more painful than the above is when they still won’t consider a backup solution. Because “what are the odds of it happening again? I mean, it’s never happened to me before.”

1. If your running Linux, there is no reason not to use RAID1. None. Hard disks are inexpensive enough to make it affordable for your primary drive, and additionally, you will get improved performance in most common tasks.

For example, application startup is usually constrained by disk seek performance. The Kernel MD driver is smart enough to interleave requests between disks. So not only do you get improved data security and less hassle when your disk(s) fail, your day-today usage will be faster as well.

1. RAID1 is not a backup strategy. Here’s a hypothetical, take two HDDs manufactured at the same time on the same production line. Put them in the same operating environment, and expose them to nearly identical usage patterns. How independent do you think their failures will be?

I’ve seen it happen many times, to myself and others. It’s not an absolute of course, but it’s a lot more probable than you’d expect simply considering independent failure.

1. Offsite backup services are plentiful, give serious consideration to it. Many offer the additional convenience of remote access to your files, which can be a plus if you ever need emergency access to your data.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of ways to do offsite backup of your data. For example, my company (Zettabyte Storage) offers what is essentially a Linux based NAS device with offsite backup of all the data stored on it. It’s extremely simple to use, ranges from ~$1.50 to $0.30 per GB per month, and has capacity between 30GB and 690GB. Use it like an external HDD, point your preferred backup application to it, and you’ve got offsite backup with essentially zero additional work.

Whatever your needs are for backup, there is almost certainly something out there that can satisfy you. Whether it’s writing your own backup solution, using a software OTS solution, or using a hardware OTS solution like ours, there is pretty much no excuse for losing the data which is meaningful to you.

Unless you plan on taking the initial suggestion made in the article, do your self a favor and find a way to backup your data. Sure it generally costs a few dollars a month, but recovering data, or taking the time to recreate it all, isn’t exactly free either.

Anyone have any tips on how to make those backup drives encrypted, such that all normal operations (such as rsync) work as normal? If I was to keep a backup drive at work (or in my car, or any other place it could get lost or stolen), I’m going to want that encrypted.

Anyway, I’ve always just burned selected files that are truly important to CDs (which, if the surface is protected, are immune to magnetic and kinetic damage, though they will probably degrade over time). And I’ve never had a sudden catastrophic failure of a drive, it was always gradual or had warning signs [:knocks vigorously on wood:]. (RAID1+ helps here!)

Also, is it worth it to use external SATA connections to drives? I’d be inclined to just use USB even on a desktop. Even if it’s slow, the backup write will be running in the background.

Instead of a complete hard drive backup (since most of the stuff on the hard drive is applications I can easily re-install) I just backup my important data every night to smaller media such as a DVD-R or USB thumb drive. I then place my backup in my fire/water proof lock box.