Why Programmers File the Worst Bug Reports

Who files better bugs? Users or developers? In How to Report Bugs Effectively, Simon Tatham notes that software developers, contrary to what you might think, file some of the worst bug reports:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original blog entry at: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/12/why-programmers-file-the-worst-bug-reports.html

Although I agree that developers tend to try to do at least a partial diagnosis when doing bug reports, I think they usually provide the right kind of data to determine what the problem is. It all depends on the situation of course.

I have seen user bug reports that look like this:
“I logged into the system and got an error. Guess I can’t test tonight!”

Now no developer worth anything is going to produce an bug report like that. At the very least they’ll give a description of what led up to the error, and what the error message actually was.

The best thing to do is to train testers to provide the relevant information. You don’t really want developers being the ones who do a large portion of the testing anyways, since we use the app how it’s supposed to be used, and don’t try funky things that’ll cause it to break.

Jeff, you must really be looking to push my buttons today! :slight_smile:

I totally disagree that developers give the “worst” bug reports. There are certainly some developers who aren’t any better than the average user. And there are definitely others who will try to diagnose the problem before it is time. But I have to agree with Marty on this one. Users typically can’t even tell you what they were doing when a problem occurred. Developers are usually familiar enough with the system to be able to pin down the exact part of the app (in technical terms) that they were exercising when the problem occurred.

Anyway, I’d take developer’s bug reports over user’s bug reports any day of the week.

The actual text is “some of the worst”. Well, at least in the body text. :wink:

Not all developers are prone to this, of course, but it’s definitely something I’ve seen a lot. I like to respond to unnecessary prescriptiveness with a non-denominational “Yes, but what’s your goal?”

This helps people focus on what they want to accomplish – what you usually want to know – rather than how they think we should do it.

I don’t think he is describing a problem with developers in particular, I think he is describing a problem with anyone in any kind of profession. “I’m sure he wouldn’t do that to a doctor.” but a doctor might (ignoring the fact they can write their own prescriptions). Most people think they are knowledgeable enough to diagnose a problem in their field of expertise.

What I hate is that developers usually find ways around the bugs and then never report them.

Car mechanics are also familiar with the situation where customers – would-be mechanics – tell them the problem rather than the symptoms.

I’m bad about that. I’ll put a break point at the problem code, correct it with the immed window, and then continue on. Sometimes I’ll report it, but other times I just assume that the guy responsible for it knows it’s a problem.

I’ve always maintained that programmers should be made to stand and watch their end-users working with the software. Their thumbs should be tied behind their backs, and they should be wearing gaffer tape over their mouths. As for bug reports, it’s only a matter of professionalism. Even a programmer can write down the scenario to reproduce an issue.