Windows Vista: Security Through Endless Warning Dialogs

I just installed vista and I hope htey keep XP around forever.

Every time i click my mouse it makes me feel like im about to walk in front of a bus and it then takes like 3 hours to get through all the warnings that appear when changing the settings!!!

UGH…

Mac is so much better the only problem is its dark in my house now because theres NO WINDOWS

Nudge Wink Get it?? Because windows sucks and all XD

Windows Vista Home

Control Panel User Accounts Turn User Account Control on or off

When I use security programs like Zone Alarm, one thing that makes it useful is that whenever a program runs it has not seen before, it asks me if I want to allow, at which point I can choose “always allow”. Of course, even then, the same program usually has multiple different scripts I have to allow (which can probably explain multiple checks for the same program in vista) but even then, by choosing “always allow” or “always deny” I don’t have to bother with it more than once for each program, and for me, it is perfectly acceptable to answer the questions once and once only for each program I use and then never again have to deal with it. In this scenario, when something else does come up, I am more inclined to read it.

Microsoft can easily solve this problem by having it remember and assume that the user will give the same response the next time the same program runs. Then it won’t be so annoying, users will be more inclined to read the messages when they come up since they won’t be persistent, and therefore users will also be more inclined to actually use the feature.

It would be very simple for them to enable such a fix. But as it is right now, I agree, totally useless. The “Nagware” factor just makes it impossible to work with and still retain a shred of sanity.

I think it’s the software developers fault for relying on so many administrative actions for even running software. If you get so many warnings in your everyday from UAC. What is the guarantee you’ll even be able to use your computer as a regular user without constantly encountering some pop-up saying “you need to be administrator to do this” and NO “make me admin” button?

I am doing beta testing and reviews for pgames/rograms. do you have any idea how much idiotic clicking I’ve gone through before finding out how to stop it?

Maybe they are just getting ready to launch an OS that is totaly linked trough the net to Microsoft and this is just the get used to it boys, we’re the only administrator in town, the rest of you are just users.

I’ve been using UAC without administrator access for about a year and haven’t had the issue everyone is talking about. I have never had multiple authentication messages. The logon messages only come up when I expect them to. The issues are coming from poorly written 3rd party apps.

If Microsoft had done this a long time ago they would have prevented many security issues.

I have to agree with Brador here. I have been using Vista regularly - as a network consultant (my clients use it so I have no choice). Yes, those pop-ups occur, yes, they slow you down a little, but, in all truth - it’s a good thing! I only see the pop-up when I expect it, and it’s no worse than having to type sudo under *nix. Also, I get calls from friends and family saying this has come up. what do i do - rather than the usual, my pc doesn’t work, because they blindly installed a virus. For the computer illiterate/beginner this warning actually has an affect!

I actually think Microsoft did it right, but that’s just my 2 penneth worth.

im sick of vista ever since they made it they’ve gone down hill. its like impossible to talk in game with headsets its frustarating i cant access files and says access is denied its like the government has hacked into your computer and will let you only do a number of things.

And to put it on top messenger has stopped working and says pyacore crap and cant go on it OMG!

And realteck omg just endless amounts of crap to get you to hear your computer through speakers and not alowing you to talk with ur microphone. This is utterly a fail!

this freaking security shit makes it impossible for me to cut the songs i downloaded to the folder music. let alone delete some trash, it keeps on saying try again…

Thank you!

This thread is proven true. I have two Vista computers from two friends who do not know each other. Both infected with the same virus miles away. The users clicked ok because that is just how to get things done on Vista. Security…NOT

It very difficult when is hard to know when clicking the close button on a web site actually installs a virus/malware instead of closing the browser! Education is key. I would love it if the spammers and hackers spent thier time annoying the spammers and hackers so we could get on with life… Press and hold the power switch until you begin to enjoy life as you walk away from technology. That is at least once a day to sleep!

Head on. These kind of “Are you sure” dialogs seem to come from one of the following:

1. Intended to protect the software vendor, not the user. They’re just there for “we told you so” value when something goes wrong. If They don’t really keep me from screwing up my system, the just keep me from blaming someone else for screwing up my system. This applies doubly for virus / malware / security problems; it’s a lot harder to bash Microsoft with a “Critical Security Error” news article or Slashdot post if the user needs to click “okay, okay, OKAY” to let the bad stuff happen.

2. Well intentioned, but blunted by the user experience / marketing / product folks along the way. Scenario - technical / security teams design a secure system, user testing shows that novices are confused or annoyed about having to login again or escalate priveleges, and someone wearing a tie decrees that we make the dialog a bit simpler. This way, we warn the user but don’t frustrate them. And now that we’be made the dialog more palatable, let’s use it all over the place.

Conventions are good, even though those crazy UX guys don’t think so… [ a href="http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000401.html"http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000401.html/a ]

I just installed the vista RTm and its an optical heaven, but the pleasure only lasts until the second or third reboot… now nothing works, my control panel won’t show any icons, I can’t run windows update anymore, view my system details, or personalize my desktop. this sucks

What’s the point? The Vista graphics are just to make it look likea Mac, right? And most older programs make you have to auto-downgrade to run. This is on a 4 GB Quad Intel … WTF are they smoking in Redmond?

Well I’m a regular MS and FOSS user and I must say that, while the MS Vista UAC prompt for limited users is important and valuable for security, from an administrator’s POV the feature becomes at least an annoyance. MS says that UAC helps security, and that the internals of UAC are such that it protects the OS from malware. Indeed, if you are running a LU account, having the OS confirm that you have the rights to perform the task that you are doing can be a lifesaver, especially if you are a novice computer user. However, if you are running as an administrator you should be able to have unrestricted access to your system, just like running as root in Unix and Unix-like FOSS OSes (ah, the power of having the sharp sign…sniff). Honestly, having a dialog first telling me that I will need to supply credentials before, say, deleting a no-longer used folder under Program Files and then popping me another dialog to prompt me to confirm that I’m going to delete it is a, uh, sophomorical approach to security. Of Course I’m doing this, I’m the (expletive removed) administrator, the OS should not ask me this! pause for breath. Linux never asked me for permission to rm -rf /dev as root, not that it would be a good idea, of course…
Anyhow if you are running as LUA under vista I can see why you need UAC, but an administrator should not, must not have these annoyances, it’s wasted time. There, those are my $0.02.

Can someone print this out and hang it on the walls of the macOS development team? This disease has now infected Catalina.

1 Like