Windows Vista: Security Through Endless Warning Dialogs

I am never pleased with the state of the OSs in the world; I am a developer and have to deal with the problems of each system.

It intrigues me how people advocate Free Open software. How do you propose to establish an income source for developers like myself who are independent. It is very simple, if my software, which is my only source of income would become free, then I would not make software anymore and look for some other form of income.

Finally, for all the flaws in Microsoft, both the company and their software, people fail to realize an important difference between Windows and OSX:

-Apple has to worry about a handful of hardware configurations. Development of an Operating System becomes a much simpler task this way.

-Microsoft has to worry about potential millions of configurations, and the user expects them to work out of the box. This is why a company that has the money to buy as many top programmers as anyone in the world, still takes a long time to develop an OS.

I donā€™t like MS, and I donā€™t like Apple, for different reasons. But as a rational person I try to recognize and understand their achievements and limitations.

So far I really like Vista. I did an in-place upgrade on Monday (using legal, technet discs, and had terrible problems, no updates, device manager would no show up, I could go on and on. So being that this is the new technology and being in the IT biz, we gotta stay up to date.

So since it crapped out on the upgrade I just did a clean install and it works beautifully! EXCEPT for the cursed security dialog popups. I will try this UAC change and see if that helps. Its driving me crazy. Does this actually stop the security dialogs?

To really get an idea of how much of a time waster vista truly is, simply go into ā€œC:\Program Filesā€ with a default install setting and attempt to create a new folder and give it a custom name. You must go through FOUR confirmation pop-ups. Not two, but four, yet when you give a program permission to run, it can create folders through install with custom names, WITHOUT confirmation. This is basically stating that they are giving more permissions to a program than a user isnā€™t it?

If you sum up the wasted time it takes for people to create a folder confirm through 4 dialog boxes over the span of a year, you are not seeing ā€œthe new way of securityā€, you are seeing a lot of needless wasted time to get things done.

I wrote the developers with 1 suggestion, and that was to simply have a check box that says ā€œI would like to have file confirmationā€, or I would notlike to have file confirmation", and perhaps ā€œI would like UACā€, or ā€œI would not like UACā€. All you vista robots speak of ā€œmore intelligent execution processes for securityā€, yet simply put itā€™s slowly disabling the right of a computer user to make their own decisions. Donā€™t you trust your own judgement?

run cmd, and type in the following (with path to a valid exe) -

ā€œrunas /trustlevel:0x20000 c:\Users\YourName\something.exeā€

It bypasses the file confirmation simply because you are running a trust levelā€¦ how secure is that? Considering you can set the ā€œcmd.exeā€ and run as an admin with no problem we can really see that vistaā€™s security isnā€™t so wonderous.

Typing in ā€œrunas usageā€ will give a full list of the available run options, and considering you could easily code a macro that would set a program to run as trusted regardless, this is pretty damn funny.

give the solutions to work with vsta like erp,internet,word,wireless device etc

Vista security is so absolutely horriblel I wish i had known about before buying a new computer. I have a Gateway and it is loaded with programs i DON"T WANTā€¦and CAN"T GET RID OF.

No matter what I do, McAfee and other programs are still there and annoying me every few minutes with ā€œLoad Now, do this or do that your computer is in dangerā€.

I have a virus program I like very much thank you and DON"T WANT MCAFEE. So how do I get rid of it? And other programs?

I have been wading in and out of the stupid, difficult inane and ridiculous security crap till Iā€™m dizzy.

I recommend NOT getting VISTAā€¦and NOT getting a new computer if you canā€™t DELETE the advertising and proprietary garbage they load it up with.

Bill Gates or whomever is running MS is a business genius.

#1 Strong arm all the major computer companies to install Windows whatever on all new computers whether the consumer wants it or not!

#2. Make sure that no other MS OS will install EASILY on these new computers.

#3. Hide the cost of the new OS in the new computers price.

#4. When the consumer finally gives up and wants to install a different MS OS (Most users have no idea Linux or Open Source software even exists) make sure to charge them for the downgrade OS too.

#5. Do this every 3 or 4 years and make millions of dollars because the general public and enterprise users have an amazingly short memory.

Nothing has changed since with MS Windows ME in my book. Every few years MS promises ā€œThe greatest operating system everā€. And provides crap that takes years of patches and updates to finally work the way it should have in the first place!

How many people remember Bill Gates on TV showing off Windows 98 and USBā€¦He got the BSOD right in front of millions of viewers. But we still bought the OS and every one since then.

Isnā€™t there something criminal about forcing a new computer buyer to except Vista no matter what. I tried to buy a laptop 3 weeks ago without Vistaā€¦I couldnā€™t find a one!So I bought a Vista laptop and downgraded to XP Pro, spending hours reading posts from people that bought the same laptop and received no XP support from the manufacturer.

Isnā€™t there something criminal about forcing a new computer buyer to accept Vista. What would happen if Ford or GM created a car that would only run on Citgo gas. Would you buy that carā€¦no! Because Citgo could charge whatever they wanted for gas as they would have a consumer base locked into buying only their gas.

Microsoft is a monopolyā€¦and now with Vista they are controlling the ā€œauthorityā€ of those that use their OS. Here is another thought: Werenā€™t third party popup ads something we have been trying to block from comming into our computers? What made MS think that the constant barrage of THEIR popups would be a good thing!

I guess you can tell that Iā€™m a little pissed offā€¦Iā€™m just tried of the same old same old from MS. It would be nice if they could provide us with a decent OS that hadnā€™t stolen and tried to improve the best features of Linux and OS X!

Viva la Knoppix!

Will Banks

Thanks for you tips, they helped me out!

I have a solution to this whole problem:

Step 1. Buy new computer ā€“ ignore the fact that vista is on it.

Step 2. low level format erasing all partitions.

Step 3. Reinstall WinXP

Thanks for posting this. Iā€™ve only had Vista a couple of days and already those warning dialogs were driving me crazy!

Those who said that Apple is somehow doing thing correctly by controlling the OS as well as the hardware are smoking crack. If Appleā€™s software was really all that they would stop whining and release it for PC instead of intentionally breaking the GUI (with their Windows release of Safari we already know what would happen). It is like arguing that you are good at Madden because you can beat your little brother. Why are we wasting time arguing with a vocal and overpriced 5% of the market? Your macs are ā€œsecureā€ because nobody cares enough to try to infect you.

I just have to say ā€œThank youā€ for showing me that option to turn off UAC. Vista will definitely suck less now.

Hello guys: Iā€™m sorry I used the method you mention up there and it did not work for me. I still have the same problems with the Explorer and not just that, now I cannot even hook my MSN or my Yahoo. I went to the Windows Vista Official Web site, followed instructionsā€¦ Naaaaaaaaaa!!! Nothingā€¦ Iā€™m desperate. I donā€™t know what else to do. Please HELP ME!!!

Anybody, Vista is great, but is driving nuts.
I have administrator rights in my system, but some how there is a security setting that does not allow me to download any programs such as macromedia flash player and other applications. I even turned off the windows firewall and the user account control.
Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Your interest is greatly appreciatedā€¦

Gabe, Sounds like the same problem I had with new computer with Vista pre-installed. My user account showed as Administrator but administrator rights ā€œdisappearedā€ after first shutdown, even though still showing as an Administrator account. Found the following the solution online, and fixed the problem within five minutes:

Tap the F8 key as you are booting and select ā€œSafe mode with networkingā€ from the boot menu.
Log into Windows Vista with your personal account that holds the (so-called!) administrator access.
Open a command window (START-RUN-CMD.exe or press Windows key+r). At the command prompt type the following: "net user administrator /active."
Thatā€™s it. Log out and back in as administrator.

Hope this works for you!

start ā€“ run ā€“ msconfig ā€“ (click) tools tab ā€“ choose ā€œDisable UACā€

A term window pops up, informing you that the command was successfully completed. Close the terminal (donā€™t ā€œexitā€ out; just close the session). Restart Vista. Your logon user profile will have now have admin rights. Most of the annoying security popups will cease (oh, youā€™ll get one on occasion, but it will be hours or days instead of minutes).

Youā€™re welcome.

The simplest way to turn off UAC (User Access Control) is to go to Windows Accounts panel, select a user and youā€™ll find the option to turn warnings On or Off.

Your either a Linux zelot or just another number waiting to bring down a giant, I agree UAC can be annoying but theres more to it than meet the eye. It does more to protect the ā€œzombifiedā€ user than that said user might think, but if for all funky reasons otherwise. Just disable UAC and life a merry life, theres no reason to complain simply for purpose of complaining.

Vista Pwnz pure and simple,
Itā€™s stuff like this Iā€™m glad they made it idiot proof!!

I was thinking about getting vista, now Iā€™m not so sure. What it boils down to for me is that everything we are trying to protect ourselves from is out on the net. Standalone systems need no protection. But no one uses a standalone system. Itā€™s the web we need. So what is it this malware does that we are protecting ourselves from? It is always file based mischief. Some malware downloads itself and modifies the MBR, or writes a file which is set up to run in the background. Iā€™ve seen files in c:\windows\system32 get altered on XP. I donā€™t think the choice should be between being exposed to trojans that give my passwords to crooks, and clicking past vast numbers of dialogues.

Look at how java applets implement security. While runtime java can write files, applets cannot. The web browser should not be able to write any files by default, and to permit the writing of a file, a request should pass through the kernel and result in a dialogue yes allow this file to be written or no do not supplemented with no always donā€™t ask again. Even when permission is granted there should be limits imposed by the environment the browser is running in: any existing file cannot be overwritten, no renaming, and no writing by the browser process in any existing directory. Allow only creation of a new file under ā€œrootā€ c:\newfiles and put new files there if and when permission granted. For a browser to have general access to file function calls, or worse, bios routines that can have power to change OS files is asinine.

To summarize, isnā€™t this a problem of mainly lousy planning during the web browser design process, and not really the fault of OSes which would otherwise work fine when unattached to an untrusted network? Do we really need a new M$ OS when denying many rights the browser now inherits by default from the environment might solve the problem? Canā€™t many system file-related rights be denied the browser without disrupting the customary use of the browser for doing downloads? Any download I do doesnā€™t need access to the entire file structure.

Thanks for the tip. I just upgraded to Vista and - sheesh - this bizarre ā€œfeatureā€ had me pining nostalgic for Win 2K.