You may be a victim of software counterfeiting

Correction: The two files are wgatray.exe and wgaLogon.dll.

had a similar experience with a pool computer at work, i found i couldnt uninstall the ‘update’~
to be expedient, i rolled the system back, and disabled the update facility
seems ok now

This is absolutely ridiculous. I, and my roomate both have XP on our PC’s. They are both very valid copies and were sold to us when we got the computers. WHY OH WHY do I get this notification? Like I said, this copy of widows is very legitimate,and the cd key was purchased with the computer, as well as my roomates. This is very unfair and very very annoying. Why the hell do I contact about this?

Got the same problem since yesterday.
Great!
I’ve got four (!!!) Legitimate Windows copies. I think that’s enough to let me install some illegal ones for private use. I’ll try and contact microsoft about that.

Anyway, Linux Mandriva 2006 is great and freely distributable.
Maybe it’s an idea to forget about windows at all.
http://www.linuxiso.org/

Stijn (The Netherlands)

omg i reaslly need help im a victim of this and i av no muney to buy a new key or da genuine

I noticed the comments from a few of you, suggesting
moving to Linux. Longer term, I agree. But, don’t
just plan to immediately JUMP to Linux, or you are
apt to be ‘overwhelmed’ (technically).

That said, I too, am now evaluating Linux. I have
it running (i.e. am able to ‘dual boot’ between
Windows and Linux), and I hope I’ll be ready to
thumb my nose at Windows ‘Vista’ by the time that
it hits the streets.

If you DO want to ‘test drive’ Linux, and if
you are comfortable downloading what’s called
an ‘ISO’ image and burning yourself a combo
CDROM, that will both serve as an eval/demo
copy, and then later, as the installation CD,
then I’ll recommend that you try MEPIS (which
is based on the ‘Debian’ Linux distribution).
Info is available at:
http://www.mepislovers.org/

[Alternatives to ‘Mepis’ would be ‘Ubuntu’ or
’Knoppix’…all of which also have the same
concept of ‘demo/install’ on a single CDROM.]

But, be cautious (astute) before you do the
’Install Me’ now step. i.e. Make sure you understand how your gonna make room on your
present hard-drive, etc. [In other words, it
would be much more straight-forward if you
had either 2 SEPARATE DISKS or else had the
luxury of wiping a fresh disk clean and then
’partitioning’ into 3 separate partitions
and then [re]installing Windows-XP on one
partition (of about 40 MBs), and Linux into
two partitions of about 20 MBs each…one
for the ‘root’ partition and one for the
’home’ (user-account area). (That way, when
you re-install/upgrade Linux [which you WILL],
you can OVERWRITE the ‘root’ partition, but
can ‘keep’ the existing ‘home’ (user) data.)

Hope this helps…

Oops…on my previous (partitioning) comment,
of course I MEANT to say…3 partitions
of 40 GB and 20 GB and 20 GB (i.e. GIGA-bytes)
each. In other words, an 80 GB disk-drive, which
are now common, should be more than adequate.

Cheers…

I have an original version of xp pro. I bought it two years ago I have never updated it past the two service packs that microsoft offers.I run norton and zone alarm together and have never had a broblem with viruses. I think that from past experiances that if your pc is running good then why try an update that will probably screw you up.I used to try the updates a long time ago but found them to be more hurtfull than helpfull.

man idaho aint nuttin but a bunch of straight up thieves according to that map

Hi all,
I found the best way to get rid of the messages is to complete the following steps and disable it. Jeff Attwood posted a link on the 30th of May and it has worked a treat!..(thanks Jeff!)…

Another alternative suggest that three files are installed Windows XP System Folder:

\WINDOWS\system32\WgaLogon.dll
\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.dll

The wgatray.exe process makes the check for genuine windows software. You can disable WGA by removing the execute bit on WgaLogon.dll. That way, winlogon can’t call it as a notification package at boot, and since WgaLogon is responsible for running and maintaining WgaTray.exe, no more tray popups either.

1-To change the execute bit of WgaLogon.dll, first turn off Simple File Sharing.
2-Now right click the file in Windows Explorer and open the Security Tab.
3-Hit the Advanced button,
4-uncheck the Inherit box at the bottom,
5-hit the Copy button, then hit OK.
6-Go through each listed user/group and remove the “Read Execute” permission for that file, leaving the “Read” permission as-is.

Hit OK to apply the permission changes and close the file properties dialog. Restart the machine. You can now turn “Use simple file sharing” back on, if you want…

I had no problems what so ever since following the above steps.

Cheers

Rohan

Once the massive piratting problem is brought under control the price of the soft ware SHOULD fall as a result Since MS have always said that it was one of the main reasons why the price was set where it is. Piracy IS a crime but so is ilegally setting your prices too high.
SO lets stop the pirates and see if the prices go down at all shall we?

I’ve been THINKING MORE about this ‘non-genuine Windows’ issue. Here’s what Microsoft should do next:

o Meet some of us half-way:     Instead of M$ merely ASSUMING
  (erroneously) that we are all GUILTY of PIRACY, they should
  create a couple of 'variations' of their 'notification' logic.

o So (for me, for example), I'd like a variant that still brands
  my login-screen with a msg that says '...Microsoft asserts that
  this is an 'incorrectly' registered copy of Win-XP, and is thus
  'not a genuine' copy of Windows'.

o It should/could then 'auto-matically' set me into the state of
  NOT allowing me anymore automatic updates (security and otherwise)
  and LOCK me into that state, so that I could NOT undo that state.

o AND, finally, then SHUTDOWN (i.e. STOP) their incessant 'NAGGING'
  me to send them money (for a 'legitmate' license key).  Because,
  many of us "DO NOT WANT TO RECTIFY THEIR ALLEGATION" by
  FIXING the problem THAT WAY.

My idea is that this would be a totally VOLUNTARY update…i.e. one
would read the terms of it and agree or disagree. (I would AGREE!)

[But, I’m not ‘holding-my-breath’ waiting for them to offer me this deal.
They’re clearly ‘all about the MONEY’. And, they’d rather we NOT MENTION
all the PC’s that came with a PRE-PAID-FOR copy of Windows that was
DELETED and replaced with Linux. M$ got THAT MONEY under FALSE PRETENSES,
using their DOMINANT (near-MONOPOLISTIC) market position. It’s always
been M$'s BUSINESS-PRACTICES that I’ve objected to…the QUALITY of
their Window-XP OS is excellent (in my view).]

Ny 2-cents worth…

To be honest,With that big long story above. Microsoft have full right to ask pepole to pay for the softwear they are using. Two things stand here - (1) Is that some of us have paid for our Computers and we have windows - NO matter what no one says we will try I hardest to not pay for it again. Even though. I hate windows I still use it why because its on every computer you look at, (2) If microsoft are really so hard up for cash why dont they send out another sorce update for every one thats online and if your version of windows is Fake then shut the PC down , Stop it from working - But no they wont do that, ‘‘Why ?’’ because Meadia costs and they dont want a couple million pepole screaming there heads off, So they put the most stupid little sign ‘‘You may be a victim of software counterfeiting’’ Why YOU MAY ? why not just say you a F***ing Criminal, Hence that might be more clear to every one

I have about 9 computers in my basement in various working conditions that I tool around with, but I don’t think I could possibly afford to give M$ a quarter of my weekly paycheck for each license. But I still love Bill Gates - see my MySpace, it’s true. If I only have one computer on at a time am I still a criminal?

I also have 19 bikes in various working conditions that I tool around with - all trashpicked Frankensteins. I’d really love to give M$ and Shimano more money but I don’t have it right now. Arrrh, a pirate’s life for me.

Honestlly i’m waiting for the day when Microsoft start burning in the hell with Bill Gates…

Other then that just find your way arround just like i did LOL…

Doesn’t Fedora Core have the Same WINE Emulation system as the other Red Hat Linux Versions. I havent tried Fedora Core yet but if VISTA is half as shitty as XP while all these losers are upgrading to that, ill be updating to Fedora. Screw it im just gonna make the damned emulator myself if necessary. Microsoft in its infinite bullshit has finally enraged the beast. They will be brought down, its only a matter of time… tick tock Mr. Gates… tick tock…

LINUX heheeh if microsoft starts with this fakes linux will grow up in the world!!

Well, Im blogging this for those who recieve the “You might be a victim of software counterfeiting” or “Your computer might be at risk” error which pops-up a bubble error on a beautiful but annoying star at the task panel.
Here is how we solve the problem. It’s pretty simple actually. With some click here and click there, within 5 minutes, this problem will be solved. First, launch the “Task Manager”. To do this, press Ctrl + Alt + Del. Now, you can see your task manager open. Click on the “Processes” tab and look out for “WgaTary.exe”. Now, select it and click the “End Process” button.

Second step…Go to your Windows’ System32 Directory. To do this, go to your MyComputer, and on the address bar, type %WinDir%\system32 and then, in this directory, you will see the wgatray.exe and wgalogon.dll files. Just rename them so Windows gets confused in future locating the files for validation. Bingo! Simple isn’t it? Now don’t just think of updating Windows now! Go to Control Panel - Windows Updates and turn off Windows Updates!Else you are likely to get the annoying pop-up again.
Now, why did I blog about this? Well, honestly, ever since this error came in my computer, I have been experiencing lots of browsing problems. I felt like my bandwidth was sucked up by this stupid error. So, I have disabled it. No, I dont support piracy actually…But the whole fact is, at least Windows should have waited till Vista’s release. They keep delaying Vista and make XP miserable…I will by my original Vista CD which is why I didnt buy the original XP CD. I mean, what’s the point? I wont waste another RM380 for a CD which Im not even going to use later on!

Microsoft should be careful what it wishes for.
The reason I recommend MS solutions to my customers is that I’ve been troubleshooting/using windows forever. Had I not been able to get access to a copy of windows (there aren’t many teens who will fork 150$ over for something like an ‘operating system’), then I would, more than likely, have grown up using *nix.

I don’t mean this as some lame ‘I’ll just go to Linux!’ threat; I mean it to say that this crackdown will force all of us to do something that I don’t believe microsoft wants us to do: consider whether Windows (and all MS solutions for that matter) is really worth the $.

hey!!i got my dell laptop 6 months back.
it had a pre-installed windows genuine version.
there are no chance of it being non-genuine as there is a coa at the back side of the laptop,tht has a valid product key.
bt i forgot to register it on microsoft.
i was recieving all updates since last 6 months.bt suddenly i get the same alert"tht my software is not genuine" and the other one is…you may b a victim of software counterfieting.what should i do whenmy software is genuine.