You may be a victim of software counterfeiting

Just have your computer clean install on the Windows OS, and this time turn off the Windows Update. You will have a brand new PC and more fresh than the previous one.

I had my PC install with Windows XP SP2 about 3 weeks ago, I do it clean install. About 2 weeks after the Windows installation I got this piracy baloon notification (I got this because I turn on the Windows Update things). I suppose I just neglegted it at first, but when I tried to Install Visual Basic 6 (another Microsoft product) it shows error message, I have 3 different source (cd) of Visual Basic for the installation, but all of them giving me the same error just when I tried to click the first ‘Next’, I know for sure that my VB installation sources are fine. I assumpt that this error is generated automaticaly because of the OS that I use is a Pirate one, and they’ve knows about it.
I had tried to remove the annoying icon on the taskbar (remove the wgatray.exe, wgalogon.dll and legitcheckcontrol.dll on Windows\System32) and turn off windows update, I thought by removing it will solve my problems on installing Visual Basic, but still I can’t install Visual Basic. Removing those files only remove the icon, but they still marked the registry as pirate one. I guess this problems will happens everytime installing microsoft product.

I guess another clean install for my PC will solve all the problems about this thing, and this time turn off the windows update.

REmoving this is actually very simple and has been explained on the site support.microsoft.com. I think its more of a warning and show of mastery by Microsoft and not an outcome of a bad intent.

You just have to rename couple of files in the system32 folder and it disappears.

removing WGA is simple
remove any files call WGA from regedit in software list.
1-start/run/regedit/H-KEY-local/MACHINE/SOFTWARE/microsoft/windows/current version/uninstall
remove WGA regedit

restart the PC

2-open Task Maneger /processes-and remove wga from there.
3-go to my computer/c:/windows/system32/look for wga.dell two of them are there/rename them and after that remove them.
and in the end turn off automatic update.
good luck

ur all full of it, all of u r nerds that try the hard way whe all u have to do is rename the ‘wgalogon.dll’ which is found in ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32’ and that gets rid of all of it man. i tried all the other ways on the net and none of them worked so u nerds r a step behind the real master. (im not a nerd)

Ben, you may not be a nerd, you are an idiot with a simplistic solution and a habit of failing to write even nerdlike english.

pls help… i couldn’t even find the wgalogon.dll in the system32… i’m seriously stuck with the bloody mircosoft piracy shit… i hate microsoft!!! They are big bullies!!!

No-one has mentioned the easiest way to disable the notifications yet. Right-click on the blue star in the system tray and select “Change Notifications Settings”. Then click the + sign next to “Windows Genuine Notifications Options” o the window that opens up. OK, the blue star remains, but all the nags disappear.

Thanks Ben, Your method is worked. I ONLY renamed wgalogon.dll under C:\WINNT\system32 on my PC and restarted. All appeared as normal. I also downloaded “keyfinder.exe” from www.magicaljellybean. and changed the key with other genuine key. Thank again

Dont download keyfinder.exe it contains malware Win32:PSW-RAS-B [Tool]

I got rid of it, i also removed it from the reg. but i want to install wmp 11 but it says im not genuine… and i may not b… wat do i do?

Ok, all i have to do is rename Wgalogin, then restart, and everything is gone?

I got the “critical updates available” notification 2 days ago. Like an idiot I believed the “keep your computer safe” crap and downloadedinstalled. After rebooting, I found out I’m a pirate. I’m so ashamed. System Restored back 3 days (thanks M$), auto-updates off and uncheck auto-updates in “change the way Security Center Alerts You”. All gone :wink:

Hey guys!

thank you for your posts - it took less time to take off this nagging baloons than some adwares and viruses. It seems that m$ft didn’t apply same technology of hiding files and restarting them in 100’s of different ways.

Thanks again.

“This copy of Windows is not genuine. You may be the victim of software
counterfeiting” every time boots computer

Resolution

1. Boot The computer in safe mode
  2. Delete a file called wgatray.exe from c:\windows\system32
  3. Delete wgatray.exe from c:\windows\system32\dllcache (dllcache is a hidden
    folder)
  4. Delete the key “WGALOGON” from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\winlogon\notify
  5. Restart the computer in the normal mode. You should not get the error message
    again.

SiRu

WGA Notification tool continually prompts users with the following message after
installing - "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting"
If you log in as a local admin, the problem may not occur.

The Users group needs Write permissions to the following folder - Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\Data By default the
Users group has Read permissions set as a special permission to this folder.
Step 1 Disable Simple File Sharing and Shown hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer.
  2. Click Tools. Click Folder Options.
  3. Click the View tab. Drag the scroll bar to find the item “User simple file
    sharing (recommended)”. Clear the checkbox before this item.
  4. Under Hidden files and folders, click “Show hidden files and folders”.
  5. Clear the “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)” check box and
    click OK.
  6. Click Apply and click OK.

Step 2 Set Proper setting

1. Browse to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
    Genuine Advantage folder, 2. Right click the data folder and left click on
    properties.
  2. Click on the Security tab.
  3. Select your wife’s account under in the “Group or user names” box. If it is not
    listed, click Add and type the account to add it.
  4. Select Allow behind Full Control.
  5. Click Apply, click OK.

SiRu

Hi,
people i keep getting a message on my desktop say ‘‘You may be a victom of counterfeiting’’ do you have any ideas of removing it so that it doesnt keep popping up?,
Cheers

please suggest me to remove this and please provide me free solution

Why not just lower the prices on the map where people dont pirate?

I want to make as much money as possible off this product before it becomes last gen upon the release of vista. Cant you see, why dident i release this “nag” before?! Because now I can capitolize on a soon-to-be obselete product! Muhahahaha! $4000+ a minute isnt enough for me!
I make more $$$$$ while taking a dump then most of you will make in a year! Muhahaha!