DCOM, XP SP2, and Remote Debugging

Hi having same prob here but my edit limits button is grayed out!!

Dunno, are you an Administrator on that PC?? It’s not greyed out for me.

Suddenly, one of them, if you start in release it says it cant debug and if you start in debug it just ignores all debug commands.

Check here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/mkpark/articles/86872.aspx

Hi, Really weird one here, not remote but local. I have 2 sites that develop locally and have done since last summer. Suddenly, one of them, if you start in release it says it cant debug and if you start in debug it just ignores all debug commands. Have I flipped a switch somewhere that you know of? The other site debugs perfectly if I need to!

THANK YOU.

Link this folks. It works. Get it up there on search results.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you.

–A UK zombie thats was THIS close to doing something that would have got him fired

GOD!! THANXX! Thanx alot. Now i can go eat and sleep and many other things after 6 hour $%^ing.
Thank you SO much!

I love community. That was a huge help! Thanks.

This did it for me. I only wasted about half a day trying to get this work. Argh!!! Thanks!

After I saw this I searched again and found this article on MSDN:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;833977

I can’t believe that this was the problem all along. I wasted about 2 days surfing the net, trying out just about everything. I was beginning to think my 2k3 server box was screwed up and was about to reinstall windows. Little did I know this was a client side problem.
Thanks for posting this fix.

Thank you SO much. I wish this information had come up on Google ranked Number 1.

Brilliant Headbanging exercise. Thanks a lot!!

S

Just got over a simmilar problem with Visual Studio ourself. Regardless of what type of program we were trying to debug we were getting the wonderful “Access is Denied” error. We tried everything on Microsofts site to fix it with no luck. We then moved on to combing the web for help and had no luck with sites we found there, however the info on this page was the closest to the eventual solution. In the end we had to bite the bullet and pay Microsoft 250 bucks to help us and while it now works I think the stuff they told us should be freely available on their site as it was all caused by their service packs and their extra “security”.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:

To Me - thanks heaps - spent a couple of days tracking this down - I think it was the sly-dog windows automatic updates which broke my debugger in the first place (it was working one day and not the next). Serves me right for letting MS put stuff on my PC when I’m not looking.

Marry me!

I experinced the same problem after installing xp xp2. Searched every where in net. no luck. finally saw your siet before formatting it. … and it worked. Thanks you very much.

To Me,

All other sequences I found on the net just didn’t work. However, I am glad I read all the posts below this article … worked like a peach.

Thank you for posting the solution.

Jeff, you’re a legend for posting your solution so that Me could post their solution to the same entry because that’s exactly the same problem I was having and his/her solution fixed it outright. My PC was clsoe to being hurled out of the window and into the 50 metre deep quarry only yards from said window, which would probably have earned me one freshly minted P45 until I found this solution.

Thank you. After 8 hours of searching I found your posting… your solution worked.

XP SP2 by granting “Remote Access” to the ANONYMOUS LOGON account in dcomcnfg.exe on the client computer

Well done my friend.

I bow to you, sir. You are my hero.

Every time I get a new PC at work, we have this problem. Every time, I forget how to fix it. Thankfully, I had this site linked in an email from the last time it happened.

Thanks (again). And WHY IN HELL is this not on any Microsoft page???

I’ve been on this problem for a week now… never mind 3 hours! I gave it a try, but no go. Obviously I’ve done something seriously wrong, maybe deployment… of course, Microborg doesn’t tell you jack about how to deploy so debugging is easier, do they???

And nobody on their forums ever addresses problems like this. They just treat people like lepers. ARGH!

You my friend have just become my newest hero! I spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure out why the PC was refusing DCOM connections after a SP2 upgrade. Applied your fix and like magic it all started working. I just wish I had seen your post 2 weeks ago!

Kudos!
Robert