DCOM, XP SP2, and Remote Debugging

Hi Guys,

The previous fix worked and allowed dcom connection again, however now I have another strange issue that I am wondering if anyone can help out with.

Dcom connection seems to run fine on the server for about a week. After a week the server machine stops accepting DCOM connections and I get the same error I did before the fix. Rebooting the server machine allows DCOM to start accepting connections again. Unfortunately I cannot reboot a production server every week so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Calling all DCOM experts.

Thanks
Robert

The Fix to my last problem if anyone is having the same issue was to unintiall HIPS (Mcafee Host Intrusion Prevention Software). Unexplainable I know, but after removing it DCOM has been accepting connections for 2 weeks now without faillure.

Hope this helps someone else.

You are a living legend! I’ve been round this loop before and have sorted by other means but I’ve never had SP2 before.

Thank you kind sir, you have seriously relieved me of major stress - I was about to throw my laptop out of the window!

Max

Do I need to install DCOM in my XP and Window Vista Machine?

Actually I want to connect to Vista machine through XP.
bcoz DotNet is installed in My XP machine and I want to debug my application on Vista machine through Xp.Is it possible?
Which s/w, I have to install in both machine?
Pls help me, I already spent 2 Man days.
Thanks in advance…

Remote Debugging support is properly installed on the server

Thanks ,this was very usefull

If the edit limits button is disabled (grayed out), try editing the local security settings.

Local Security Settings
    - Security Options
        - DCOM: Machine Launch Restrictions

and add a user, it will cause the corresponding button in Component Services to be greyed out.

RESOLUTION:
Delete the users in the security policy (ie. Remove all users and click
Apply and OK.) It will appear as NULL in the security policy, but once
refreshed, it will then show “Not Defined”.
Go back to Component Services and you’ll notice that it’s reset back to the
original.

(thanks Remco)

Thank you very much Jeff and Me for your detailed posts. It did not exactly help in my case, but helped me to find another blog post that finally resolved my problem (for me oleaut32.dll had to be reregistered):

http://blogs.msdn.com/greggm/archive/2004/04/16/114828.aspx

Maybe it helps someone else. On my machine ASP stopped working in High Isolation Mode, putting out just an error code of -2147467259 (0x80004005) and debugging was refused.

Good god, it worked :slight_smile:

Geebus what a pain in the rear that was, like you I was getting dizzy and ready to use a blunt object to end the frustration. It works, wooo fooking hoo.

Actually everything appeared there … and in a lot more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833977