Help Name Our Website

I thought you were trying to stay away from “funny” names!?

fellowhackers.com = Fello-Whackers.com

peveloder.com that ends that.

on a serious note, i think it’s good to have a short domain name. it will be easier to make a logo for, and good for business card/printing. plus 1 word short names are catchier.

Isn’t there a 5-day trial on domains at some places? I can’t remember where, but maybe Jeff has already taken all of these domain names and then is going to “return” the bad eggs and keep the good golden egg on the 5th day.

Hmmmmmmmmm…
I am going with any of the guild ones.

@Gustavo

programmersguild.com, codeguild.com, (.+)guild.com

I’m voting for “they all suck”.

You’re much better off, IMHO, thinking of a distinctive, catchy name that doesn’t mean anything, and then giving it meaning by putting useful content on it. How many Google users do you think have any idea what the name means? Do Yahoo! or monster.com users even care?

Of course, now that you’ve posted your ideas, they’ll all be registered by the end of the day…

I’m surprised no one has called you on this yet.

Imagine: you’ve been brainstorming a site idea for a while. You are collaborating, getting your ideas together. You’re thinking, oh yeah! and we could do this too! At some point in this process a great name comes to you, and you think, perfect! that puts it all together; lets crank this out.

Really? You left your day job to start a developer site whose name you have yet to imagine. Jeff? WTF?!

I really like “Humble Developer”. I’ve really been thinking a lot about how important it is to be humble as a software developer (and about the large percentage of good coders who have egos so large as to render themselves a crappy software developers because no one can work with them and nothing gets done).

Anyway, best wishes with the new site!

I also like “orangespokenhere”. I think the “orange” theme has a little bit of branding behind it. Or donate “codhinghorror” to the cause.

Looks like someone had to spend around $100 bucks on domains before making this post. Stack Overflow is really the only good choice there. I picked other, though. And your parking pages are really annoying.

guessing at what you are doing… i would like to propose:

hit any key to continue .domain
dev honey pot .domain
devfacia .domain

hack re direct .domain
hack a stack .domain
hackenstack .domain
needleina hackstack .domain
hack fellows .domain
no port unturned .domain
wild wild hack .domain

and out of the blue:
dev fido .domain
cult dev .domain

all d.o.t.com open as of this posting…
just take out the spaces :slight_smile:
thats all i can think of right now…
good luck!

i like the last one :slight_smile: sounds trendy :slight_smile:

All of the suggested domain names will be gone within hours.

I hear you Moritz…
thats why i already reserved the one i like for Jeff.

Some of these suggestions are pretty good. Keep 'em coming. Remember: naming is hard. We all suck at it.

You’re much better off, IMHO, thinking of a distinctive, catchy name that doesn’t mean anything

Such as… what? I’d appreciate it if those of you who voted (other) would offer some kind of alternat name suggestions.

Really? You left your day job to start a developer site whose name you have yet to imagine. Jeff? WTF?!

I often don’t know what the title of a particular blog post will be until I’m 90% done writing it. This is a normal workflow, at least for me: things do not reveal themselves until you near the end.

Looks like someone had to spend around $100 bucks on domains before making this post.

Of course I registered them all beforehand, just in case. Cost of doing business.

it’s amazing how one thinks a name, searches it and it’s there already…and hardly related.

codebomb.net
devhut.net
devconnect.net
i liked the alldot.com, onlydot.net, dotnetdotnet.net, digidea
all gone.

i hope u got a unique angle on this, i can’t imagine we need another codeproject…suppose u gotta harvest some of that ad rev. somehow tho.

chrs.

codeapprentice.com was free last time I checked.

Although I wonder how long until someone buys up everything listed here…

we should have a vote-off type event, where the top half go on to the next round of voting. Then repeat until there is a WINNER!

Ah, you bought them already :slight_smile:

I’d say that names like ubuntu uses for it’s releases are much easier to remember than the ones you have found.

Like… developer-dating (I wouldn’t vote for that one!)

Georg

consideredharmless dot com would be fun.