On Parenthood

Sophia Coppola absolutely nailed what it’s like to be a parent when she wrote that scene in Lost in Translation. A lot of people focus on the line you bolded but there’s an equal amount, if not more, insight in Bob’s first statement as well.

Congratulations!
Twins: twice the joy… twice the trouble :smiley:

Jeff, Congrats. We had a 3 yo boy when my wife gave birth to twin girls. Now 5 and 2 (x2). Sounds like similar dynamics. All I can say is hold on! You have taught me so much on the dev front, let me know if I can help out on the baby front… not that I have all the answers.

My 3rd son was just born last week… but really, I’m not stressed or worried at this point. Having a 3rd kid is sort of like climbing out of a swimming pool (still wearing all your clothes), and somebody then points a water gun at you. You just laugh.

My favorite quote about parenthood, though, was something like this:

Write while you can. By february this blog will be dead. :slight_smile:

That’s the best comment ever. So true.

Ha! Congrats Jeff! Twins!!!

Thanks for sharing. It’s been fun watching your business and personal life unfold.

Best,
Yarone
(father of two)

Congratulations! I have seven; the two youngest are 13 now. I really miss their younger years. Enjoy them fiercely while you can.

Oh boy do I remember that ultrasound picture! My first kid ended up being twins! XD Good luck and congratulations! :slight_smile:

Congratulations sir!

Congratulations, Jeff! Enjoy the twins!

Awesome. We had twins a couple weeks before you had your singlet. There are some great ‘support groups’ in the bay area. :slight_smile: MPPOM is cool. My wife really enjoys it, and the people in it: http://www.mppom.org/. They have expectant parents meetings too. Let me know if you ever want to chat about it or ask questions of a fellow geek and parent of multiples.

Congratulations. I am a father of 3 adorable girls, two of which are also twins, same as you. I am totally belong to that 51% of group of people, enjoying the parenthood at the moment. It’s an once in a life thing that you will miss a hell out of it once it’s passed.

Hope you will enjoy that moments too.

Cheers, Kent

Congrats Jeff! Good luck with the twins!

Wow. You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I have a little boy myself who will be 3 in December. I had just turned 17 when he was born, and it was the most amazing/horrifying/beautiful/confusing thing anyone can experience. All the luck to you with your twin girls(I’d of Falcon Punched my way out of that situation awhile ago).

Congrats! Good luck on building your horde.

Congratulations and I couldn’t agree more.

I could try to congratulate you, but I wouldn’t do as awesome a job as Richard M Stallman:

It doesn’t take special talents to reproduce–even plants can do it. On the other hand, contributing to a program like Emacs takes real skill. That is really something to be proud of. It helps more people, too.

BTW, I’m being sarcastic, I use VIM (try the veal).

In all seriousness, congratulations, and I look forward to the creation of two new twitter accounts!

Congratulations on the twins… and good luck.

My wife and I had twins 10 months ago. You are in for a wild ride. Those first 5 months were as brutal a time as I have ever had in my life. But nowadays, those two little girls are literally the best part of my day. I never thought I’d get there.

If you want a glimpse into life with twin newborns you can go to my blog:
http://jasonhaberman.com/category/family

Scroll back to the beginning of the year for a full view.

Again… good luck!

Beautiful piece Jeff, I really enjoy your blog. And congrats on the twins! It’s amazing how parenthood can be the hardest and easiest thing to do all at one time.

Found my way here via a tweet from @aycangulez. Thanks for a brilliant post. I’m a dad of two girls (7 and 5) and a boy (2). There were some ugly times early on as I mourned the loss of my carefree, kid-free lifestyle; and being a parent is incredibly hard work. But I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I just spend a weekend with just my son, as my wife was out of town with the girls, and it was the best. Kids really do focus your life in a way that is unlike anything else.

As the kids get older, remember to take individual time with each of them on a regular basis. With all that humanity swimming around in your house, it means the world to a kid to get unfiltered one-on-one time with mom or dad, just going out for breakfast or to a movie or to kick the ball around in the part.

And I too was laughing hysterically at @StacyConaway’s list. I have a steadily-lengthening list of “things I never thought I’d hear myself say”, such as “Stop hitting your sister with the fish!”