congratulations !
Long Live to So and SF

I thought that this was a programming blog

Congratulations

Who is the arch enemy of Server Fault?

Site on system engineering and software design
http://design-to-last.com

Testing

PLEASE - make a good error page telling users to enable cookies instead of just throwing a generic “something bad happened” page?

Hey Jeff, I think you have a bug here. When the post is first from the top the number of comments is always (1)…

“PLEASE - make a good error page telling users to enable cookies instead of just throwing a generic “something bad happened” page?”

Yes, everyone should make a special error message just for paranoid internet nerds.

My first Nemeth was the red one also. I think the yellow one was probably out when I started the transition from cartographer to sysadmin but I never had it. I mostly used comp.unix.shell and comp.sys.sun.admin.

No clue about the guy in the photo. In '97 or so there was a lot of talk about how UNIX sysadmins would have to start learning Windows as well. I reluctantly went to the first USENIX Windows Workshop in Seattle (where, incidentally, I saw someone taking notes on a PalmPilot Pro using a Handykey Twiddler he’d apparently jerry-rigged into it) and swore that the day I could no longer find sysadmin work without doing Windows was the day I’d leave the profession for good.

I’m surprised to find that 12 years later this day has not yet arrived. I may have to find another reason to quit.

Nice addition. Anyway, there are lots of other things in software engineering than programming, too. It is sad that if you are interested in those things, then StackOverflow isn’t for those issues. Actually programming is only a small part of software engineering. Others are eg. requirements analysis and management, platforms, architectures, design, testing, configuration, maintenance, system retirement, product management, version control and management, future ideas, etc… The list is really big, so StackOverflow is very narrow site. If some issue would be close to being programming related, it will get closed by members who are strict in managing threads for pure strictness or even by preventing others from gaining points or fame.

Good luck with this.

However, I’m not sure I like the idea of having three different sites for areas where you admit there is some overlap. I would worry there will be a lot of “this question belongs on site X” answers, which will just alienate new users.

If an IT professional needs help with a batch file, which site do they go to?

"that you may be a system administrator or IT professional"
WTF? Are sysadmins no IT professionals? Shame on you!

Any chance there’ll be an iGoogle widget coming for that sometime? Would be handy :slight_smile:

Hi DOn,

You can add your own feeds to iGoogle pretty easily. It’s not listed in search yet but this should work:

http://www.google.ie/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=serverfault.com/feeds

Bunun bir programlama blog sanıyordum

@Rob Janssen: I could get behind that name, but only if it’s moderated by J.J. Abrams.