Stack Overflow: None of Us is as Dumb as All of Us

The Uservoice feedback mechanism doesn’t share authentication with stackoverflow.

IRONICALLY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT SUPPORT OPENID!

Just sayin’. :slight_smile: I did vote that request up on http://uservoice.uservoice.com , but who knows when they roll out new features. I haven’t seen a thing change there in months.

Best luck with everything. So far I find it very helpful.

I posted a question and a couple answers yesterday. Went back today and searched for my name and it returned no results.

Besides this, thus far, I do like the structure of the new site! Good job!

i’ve looked into the site yesterday (after Joel’s post) and i think it’s great in MANY MANY ways, but not just for programmers.

I’d love to have the software installed in the company i work for, to have QA for CMM, sales, human resources, etc. For some reason wikis don’t seem to work, but perhaps the reputation/votes will create e better incentive.

Are you planing to open source this?

The site is great! I’m really surprised. I thought it may not be work but I think it’s doing great and this point system is a very nice way to encourage people to answer and participate.

I’ve one complain. OpenID. It sucks!

A better solution would be to support OpenID for those who love and provide a Register facility for those who don’t mind registering on StackOverflow, like me.

Congrats Jeff and thanks.

Yahoo works for me too. Although I’m not going to share my account details for you to try :wink:

Alternatively you can use your Google login via the Blogger Open-ID.

-Perros-

Sorry! We have encountered an error that prevents us from fulfilling your request. Things should return back to normal soon, so please try your request again in a few minutes.

If Yahoo OpenID sucks so bad then maybe it shouldn’t be in the list of example providers. Out of the example list it was the only one where I already had an account, and was the most recognizable. It worked for me Monday morning, once, and has not worked since then, from home or work. Now I will need to sign up again at another place just to get an OpenID that might work. Maybe myopenid.com is trusted and will work better.

Indeed, my three biggest problems with the site all center around openid.

1. I get auto-logged out all the time. I don’t know if this is an openid/blogger problem or what, but it is extremely annoying.

2. I can’t transfer my stackoverflow account to a different openid provider if that would offer fewer auto-logouts

3. I have to go through a multistep process every time (so login, openid login, then finally I get to do what I want).

The openid naziism is annoying, imo.

Ummm… am I the only one who sees the Kurt Vonnegut reference in the middle of that Venn diagram?

OpenID: https://me.yahoo.com/stackoverflowtestguy
email: stackoverflowtestguy@yahoo.com
password: opensesame!

That’s NOT my password. :wink:

[it’s now opensesame!!!]

How can I find my stuff (my questions, answers, what I upvote)?
I would like to be notified of what others write.

The site is good. Keep up the good work.

Congratualtions. I have used it to ask a couple of questions and helped others with some feedback. I like the high quality.

However just a caution that the site could suck your time if you’re hooked to collecting badgets, earning reputation, voting up and down on questions and answers stuff… etc.

Just curious, are you planning to make the site’s code open source?

Jeff, I get the same failure with stackoverflowtestguy@yahoo.com as I do with my own yahoo account.

Dunno if it’s an IE 7 problem or what.

I registered last night and helped answer a few questions. So far, so good. I think you guys did a great job.

I like the site so far. The downside is that it’s a bit overwhelming. I don’t know how well it’s going to work when I need to find a specific answer.

The only real bug I’ve found is after I login using my Yahoo OpenID and then fill out my profile information and Save it, the profile doesn’t stay saved. My profile information keeps getting lost.

Also on a personal note Jeff, you seem a little hostile to your users about this Yahoo OpenID thing. It may not be your fault but it would behoove you to do all you can to help the users that are having problems.

Cheers!

I’d like to add to the call for fixing the OpenID please.

If I go to sourceforge’s login page and type blog.billpg.me.uk into the box on the right, I’m taken to blogger’s login page. (So I know my OpenId works this far.)

If I do the same on the stackoverflow login, I’m told
The remote name could not be resolved: ‘blog.billpg.me.uk

(Try it out everyone!)

Hope this can be sorted. Many thanks.

The new website looks good, congratulations !

Now … to start a few trolls about PHP … mwahahahahaa.

Badges ? Very nice idea !
It works for videogames … :slight_smile:

The openID thing worked okay on signing up…but I really don’t see the need for it.

I would prefer just a simple signup like every other site.

OpenID for authentication (and not as a second-class method).

Image-light, structure-rich, CSS for layout.

Atom for syndication (and not as a second-class method).

Actually-free license terms (CC BY-SA, avoiding the non-free NC and ND).

You’ve hit a whole lot of high notes even before I begin using the site. Thanks! :slight_smile: