The 2016 HTPC Build

Me too! I’m still using Windows 7 with Media center, which (along with the media browser plugin and the shark007 codec pack) does everything you’ve mentioned. Records live tv, plays blue ray, plays media from the network. The media center remote is brilliant, although it’s starting to fall apart and I’m not sure if I can replace it.

I have to switch to a browser for netflix, but that’s not too bad.

I’ve been looking for alternatives to switch to, but haven’t come up with anything great yet. I was planning on kodi, but your experience makes that seem less of a good option :frowning:

Thank you for the HTPC build, I needed a low power usage build for my wife’s online teaching job and this works perfectly. She doesn’t need a ton of graphics power, just enough for video. It is burning only 15 watts while using teleconferencing software not including the monitor. And if she ever loses the job I’ll have an HTPC! Total build cost was about $620 including Windows 10, which her job requires.

I am curious if you have updated this build since 2016. I did a search for HTPC but came up with this post as the latest. I have a Dell PC I run in a corner that works fine for Plex, but I would be curious if I could run something like this (more up to date) as an alternative, as the Dell is kinda long in the tooth.

Thank you.

Mike.

2 Likes

Yes, that is covered in The Golden Age of x86 Gaming and specifically I am now on the Hades Canyon model, which is still great and quite inexpensive now

1 Like