On Parenthood

Most awesome post! Shared it with my wife (who is a non-techie and the mother of my two girls)!!

Congrats. Simply awesome:-).

A wonderful article, Jeff. Congratulation to the kids.
I can only share your feeling and happiness!

There is a content turning point here. It is from coding-related content, to parenting-related content. But anyway, be a good parent :slight_smile:
(http://codedincantation.com/blog/)

Congratulations and thank you for the beautiful post!

My wife and I had our twins, boy and girl, first and just this past August had a boy for our third. After experiencing a singleton, we now see more clearly the extra effort that was required with the twins, but just as you so eloquently described, it was worth it.

You know, we just had our third and I have to say that 3 is not substantially more difficult than 2… but we had a 2yr. stagger…

Congrats, Jeff!

Is this article only applied for parents who have their own genetic children?? funny how all parents think their own genetic children are the cutest and the most brightest ever, specially up to the age of 12, this observation only applied to “PLANNED” child or the “FIRST” accidental child maybe.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations Jeff, parent of 2 boys here (4 and 1)…can’t even begin to imagine what 2 twin girls would be like.

Might I suggest the site http://parenting.stackexchange.com/ :slight_smile:

“Having a child is a lot like running a marathon. An incredible challenge, but a worthwhile and transformative experience.”

Obviously you’ve never run a marathon. Raising a kid makes running a marathon look like a joke. Marathons are a LOT easier, and not nearly as rewarding, worthwhile OR transformative.

But I get what you’re saying. The problem is there really is no simile that I’m aware of that does justice to the experience of having & raising a kid.

-steve, a fat guy (BMI=33) who’s run close to 30 marathons and ultra-marathons, up to 106 miles (having a kid is a lot harder and more rewarding than 106 miles, too.)

Congrats!

I don’t have any kids yet. My husband really, really wants one, but I feel like the older I get, the less ready I feel. I really have just gotten my life the way I want it. I feel like I should enjoy it for a couple of years first, while I can.
I also don’t like kids. I’m assuming when I have my own kid, it’ll be different. My mom says that was the case for her, of course she worked for 12 hours a day while I was growing up and barely saw me.
…Anyway, I appreciate your views on parenthood. I really hate jumping into something without knowing what I’m getting into, especially a lifetime commitment like a kid. This is the best post I think I’ve read on the subject so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations Jeff!

God tells us that children are a blessing and each one reminds us of how blessed we are to just be alive and experience this life. I have two sets of twins myself, so I understand some of what you are going through right now. There are lots of resources available to parents of multiples. There are usually some local groups and many websites that are devoted to parenting multiples. Seek them out for guidance and tips.

Congrats! Twins! Yay… My wife’s second time pregnant and I must admit, it would be my worst nightmare come true if we had twins :wink: Be strong, may your wife be strong, and hope all are good and healthy!
Btw, I like your blog.

Good luck!

My son was born 17 days before yours Jeff. Everything you wrote reasonated with me. Best wishes.

Magnayn: Of COURSE it’s exclusionary. This is a post about parenthood and children. Why in the world are you looking for ways to directly apply it to your (consciously and deliberately) childless self? The sentence “It’s difficult to explain children to people who don’t yet have children” is talking about people who will have children in the future. Clearly that isn’t you. It doesn’t say that no other types of people exist in the world. Obviously you exist. But this post isn’t for you. Move along politely and find something that is.

Jeff: Congrats! Welcome to a new part of your life that you didn’t know existed, and soon you will wonder how you ever lived without.

That one percent makes all the difference.

Actually it’s 2 percent :wink:

Enjoy BF3 while you can.

First, of course, congratulations. There’s an (apparently) old Hebrew adage (paraphrased) “Children are our hostages to the future”. For me, that meant, while as an educated, thoughtful individual, I cared about what the world would be like in 100 years, I didn’t care the way I now do, after it struck me that my children (and grandchildren) would have to put up the the fallout from the actions of myself and others, today.

On specifically going from one to more than one child, as one of my co-workers put it “two kids are only about ten times as much work as one”, and he wasn’t speaking binary.

Awesome! Congrats! My DH is a reader of yours, he told me to post a comment - don’t know why he couldn’t since he also is a parent of twin girls…TWICE OVER! We have 2 sets of twin girls ages 6 and 2. I’m still trying to catch up on blogging that experience and will be for life at www.tandemtwinning.com

Life-changing, yes. Marriage-changing, yes. Soul-changing, yes. I’ve learned that marriage and parenting children are a great parable through which God imparts to us his wisdom and insight into who He is.