On Parenthood

Congrats, I was much in the same boat. Our oldest is 14 and in high school, and we did the same thing. Decided to have another… except that we got 3 instead of 2. 3 boys born last week, scariest and greatest thing ever. Best of luck.

I agree completely with you ! Got the same feelings when my daughter was born (almost 1yr old now) life went upside down and I start to learn once again things i forgot long time ago.

Thanks for this post.

Congrats, Jeff! Having just had my third earlier this year (after a 6 year gap no less), everything you said resonated greatly with me. Loved the post, and good luck.

Congratulations!

It gets more fun as they get older. My boy is 5 now. Yesterday we made a lego skyscrapers and talked about supersonic cars. Today I took him out on his bike and then attempted to make a sock bazooka using the vacuum cleaner.

I can’t say much more than congratulations and great post, I couldn’t agree more ;-))

I see where you’re going with the 51%/49% graph, but I think it was summarised more accurately in the movie “The Back-up Plan”:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=back-up%20plan%20quote%20kid%20awful%20awful%20awful&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCIQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNx2A5j2NjMw&ei=lo6nTr70MYSuiQfDrLmUDg&usg=AFQjCNEkLZLW9ahCMyH0pcZQkfizZAtj6Q&sig2=_dQ1KDxXDnyEuFnHUmVLHw&cad=rja

Another great article (as ever). I’m the father of a three and a half year old boy and nodded all the way through reading it.

Congratulations to you and Mrs Attwood and your families :slight_smile:

Thanks Jeff - wonderfully refreshing words for a Wednesday lunchtime…and congratulations to you and your wife.

Congratulations! And, good luck!

My wife gave birth to identical twin girls very recently. And let me tell you that if you think it’ll only be twice as tough as a single baby, you are wrong. I’m pretty sure your pie-chart is still valid for twins though - it is just a bigger personal investment for a bigger final reward. Well, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Just imagine all the fun experiments now that you have potential for a control sample :wink:

Congratulations! Also, enjoyed reading this.

Love is not looking at a baby and thinking, “Oh, how cute! Oh, what possibilities!”. LOVE is getting verbally bitch-slapped by your angst-ridden teenager and calmly thinking “This will pass…”. :slight_smile:

Seen on a T-shirt : “D.A.D.D. - Dads Against Daughters Dating. Shoot the first one - word gets around”

Congratulations Jeff!

Your geek army is shaping up nicely.

Many congrats Jeff!

As the father of twin girls (now 5.5), you’re in for a whole NEW batch feelings to experience. They’ll wrap you up around their finger faster than you can imagine. Not to mention how you even start to look at the toddler boys with just a hint of suspicion when they run around with them on the playground. 8^D

I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Thanks for such a moving post!

Your post reminded me of a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson that encourages me to talk to people every day.

“Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

congratulations :slight_smile:

Firstly congrats! Great article! I couldn’t have said it better!!
Our firstborns are the same age and our little son is due mid February too. So I can see where you are coming from. Good luck with your little ones!

Congrats Jeff!!
I am waiting for my first baby (due in April 2012) and I can relate myself to your “pre baby” feelings. Can’t wait to get into next level…

Congrats Jeff.

My wife and I are doing the same thing but in reverse order. We have two beautiful identical twin girls, 2 years old. My wife is now pregnant with a third, who happens to be a boy.

As far as raising twins, your highs and lows get amplified even further (if you can believe it). Its unquestionably more than twice the work and difficulty. But much as you cannot explain the pleasure of children to people without them, you cannot explain the pleasure of twins to parents of singletons. Seeing them grow up together to become best friends, constantly looking for each other and playing together. Its truly magical.

Feel free to ping me if you want to chat with someone whose gone through it and survived.

Congrats.

But I’d bet that 2 1/2 years ago you’d have know that the difference between 49 and 51 is 2 percent.

After the twins arrive +/- 10 will be close enough!!

Congratulations Jeff! We have a new release coming in mid-Feb too! Maybe one day our kids will meet :slight_smile: